Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

K-1:28-105mm kit lens not shooting consistently with the viewfinder

Hello everyone - hoping to get some insights into problem with the 28-105mm kit lens. I'm still a beginner.

When using the viewfinder, when I press to focus, it doesn't do so consistently (i.e. there is not movement of the lens to focus) and then won't shoot. This will happen in Av, Auto and other modes. Sometimes it will focus and shoot but I haven't been able to find any pattern as to when it will work vs not.

By contrast, if I go to Live view, it works fine. When I use other lenses, they work fine too.

I suspect there is a problem with my lens but want to rule out there isn't something else going on with the camera or the settings.

Appreciate any help!

04-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rainmaker889 Quote
Hello everyone - hoping to get some insights into problem with the 28-105mm kit lens. I'm still a beginner.

When using the viewfinder, when I press to focus, it doesn't do so consistently (i.e. there is not movement of the lens to focus) and then won't shoot. This will happen in Av, Auto and other modes. Sometimes it will focus and shoot but I haven't been able to find any pattern as to when it will work vs not.

By contrast, if I go to Live view, it works fine. When I use other lenses, they work fine too.

I suspect there is a problem with my lens but want to rule out there isn't something else going on with the camera or the settings.

Appreciate any help!
Welcome to the forum.
Are you experiencing this problem in bright daylight?
Can you get good focus with it when focussing manually?
04-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #3

Rainmaker welcome.
For what its worth....
Please consider cleaning/checking the contacts on your lens and camera. And ensure lens focus switch is set to auto verse manual.
Hope fix is simple.
04-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When this happens to me it is almost always because my finger has set the focus point to one of the edges, and I'm trying to focus on the middle of the frame.

04-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That's weird. I've never had anything similar. LV AF doesn't know when the lens is focused relative to target so it will proceed to an AF routine in any case. PDAF is different in a way that the sign of the phase indicate how to rotate in lens motor to move the lens elements forward or backwards. According to the description, it looks like the PDAF isn't able to know which way to go (forward or backward) and obviously unable to lock focus as a result. Lens/PDAF sensor issue IMO, it means the camera may also be responsible for the issue even if it works works with other lenses. Try AF.C instead of AF.S just to check that the AF does.