Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-x: focus permanetly stuck on MF (manual focus) & Shake Reduction stuck Off too

Flipping the AF/MF switch makes no difference. Switching camera on & off no difference. "Reset Settings" no effect. Problem exists with all DA lenses in my kit. Cleaned mount electrical contacts with isoproply alcohol ("rubbing solution" ?). The SR is stuck off permanently too.

Found others had trouble with the stuck manual focus and I traced threads on this forum and the web. Seems the drive screw in the camera mount does not always engage with the lens. A bit of careful twisting when mounting lens seems to cure it - sometimes.

If it is a software corruption could the firmware be reinstalled? It is v1.3. Can I reinstall this firmware update? Has anyone tried to do a firmware reinstall?

(Hope it is not a hardware issue.... )

Marty

04-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The simplest explanation, given the tests you've done, is that it's a hardware issue. The AF/MF switch can fail, but luckily this is a fairly straightforward repair. I believe there are several threads on the topic already.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #3

Am suffering a similar issue. When the focus switch is in the MF position all is well, but when I flick it down to AF autofocus does not engage, although the focus ring is stiff so I assume the pin is engaged? Often when I move the focus switch down slowly from MF towards the AF to around half way down the AF symbol shows up on the camera, however when I partially press the shutter button down to pre-focus the whirring noise is made by the AF motor, but the focus ring does not move, or if it does it 'grabs' at it stutteringly and usually fails to focus; which then made me think that the focus pin is not mounting into the lens properly after all. I've checked the focus pin with the lens off and it seems to drop down normally when flicking to MF and pops up when flicking back down to AF. I've tried mouting different lenses, turning camera on and off but have yet to get in working. All other functions are working as normal.