Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Spotmatic F light meter issues

I am using a Spotmatic F with 55mm SMC lens, stop down metering has always been enabled.

The light meter issue here is that when testing the light meter (open aperture 100iso on B setting) the needle sits in the middle, and at all other times the light meter is stuck pointing down. This changes with the iso; for example when I put the iso onto 3200 on shutter speed 30 it reacts to going into the middle and then changing it down to 15 it plummets back down to the bottom.

This is almost constant with my SPF except sometimes the light meter works perfectly. (maybe connection problem?)

I have taken the bottom panel off and cleaned up the electrical connection and still no change.

I have tried with different batteries, including the PX625a and currently am using a hearing aid battery in a brass housing unit.

Any help would be appreciated!

04-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aren't those hearing aide batteries like zinc air or something where they need a constant supply of fresh air otherwise they get flaky? I would probably stay away from them because of that.

The nice thing about the latter spotmatics is the balanced metering cells so if you have a battery that is reasonably close (1.5v instead of the original 1.3v) they work. I forget what battery I use in mine but I think it might be the 625 and will check tonight.

It might be some loose wire in the metering system or corrosion at a connection. The other thing that comes to mind is that the spring tab contact under the battery might be stuck down so you have an intermittent battery connection. If you haven't already I would see about sending it off for a CLA with a note about a flaky metering. Since you mention cleaning the electrical contacts I assume that they were dirty which would also indicate that a good CLA would be warranted. Other than that it might be that the simplistic electronics are just dying and you might need a donor camera.
04-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did check and I have been using a 625 battery in both of my spotmatic f cameras. I've been doing so for 20 years.