Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ISO Window Counter

I've searched everywhere for what I suspect is a simple answer, but can't find anything. I recently noticed that while looking in my K1 viewfinder (I only shoot in AV mode) that after each shot my ISO slot registers a number that decreases by 1 with each shot. It seems to start out at around 1394 and goes down from there. It usually resets to 1394 if I change lenses, but not every time. Can anyone explain what this number indicates?

Thanks

04-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Forum Member

Off the top of my head, could it be the count for space left on the sd card? I never pay much attention to the unimportant information in the viewfinder, but I think that counter just estimates how many more images you can fit based on the file type you're using, and every time you reset the camera it reestimates the count, but it might be capped at an upper limit of 1394.
04-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m a bit confused by your description of ‘ISO slot’. What you may be seeing is the “exposures remaining” estimate which will decrease with each exposure and MIGHT reset occasionally on restart. It uses the remaining space on the SD card to make the estimate.

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 03:48 PM ----------

Oops. Looks like Star Troop and I submitted at the same time with the same idea 💡
04-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's correct when you shoot, the Iso in the TOP window is exchanged by the numbers of pictures estimated to be free on the aktive Card

04-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I’m a bit confused by your description of ‘ISO slot’. What you may be seeing is the “exposures remaining” estimate which will decrease with each exposure and MIGHT reset occasionally on restart. It uses the remaining space on the SD card to make the estimate.

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 03:48 PM ----------

Oops. Looks like Star Troop and I submitted at the same time with the same idea ��
I mean looking in the viewfinder, lower right, there is an indicator that shows what ISO setting one is using. Immediately after I shoot, a number appears briefly, and then returns to the ISO setting. I've tried it with both JPG and RAW, and it behaves the same. I figured at first like others are suggesting, that it's indicating the number exposures left on my SD card. But that doesn't quite make sense because the number is the same for both JPG and DNG settings.
04-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I mean looking in the viewfinder, lower right, there is an indicator that shows what ISO setting one is using. Immediately after I shoot, a number appears briefly, and then returns to the ISO setting. I've tried it with both JPG and RAW, and it behaves the same. I figured at first like others are suggesting, that it's indicating the number exposures left on my SD card. But that doesn't quite make sense because the number is the same for both JPG and DNG settings.
I never noticed this behavior because I concentrate on the scene in the optical viewfinder when pressing the shutter release button. I just now tested it and the ISO does indeed change to temporarily display the estimated number of exposures remaining on the media card. Thanks very much for pointing this out.

Dennis
04-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
I never noticed this behavior because I concentrate on the scene in the optical viewfinder when pressing the shutter release button. I just now tested it and the ISO does indeed change to temporarily display the estimated number of exposures remaining on the media card. Thanks very much for pointing this out.

Dennis
But . . . if it is estimating the number of exposures remaining, does it make sense that JPG and DNG files would show the same number (since DNG uses a lot more space)?
04-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
since it shows only one number, it may only show the slot 1 estimated remaining.

04-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
since it shows only one number, it may only show the slot 1 estimated remaining.
The K-1 top deck LCD may operate that way due to limited space. Your rear LCD screen should show the remaining exposures for each card slot, if its like my K-3 which shows exposures left on each card also my top deck LCD show slot 1 and 2 exposures remaining.
04-14-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

But . . . if it is estimating the number of exposures remaining, does it make sense that JPG and DNG files would show the same number (since DNG uses a lot more space)?
My file format options are set to RAW DNG + JPEG L and my memory card option is set to "Save to Both." As a test, I changed my file format option to JPEG L and now, when I press the shutter release button, the ISO display in the viewfinder temporarily changes to a much higher number than was shown when I was recording RAW DNG + JPEG L. Each subsequent press of the shutter release displays a number that is incrementally one less than the previous. This number matches with the memory card estimated remaining capacity that is shown on both the rear display Status Screen and the rear display Live View. I hope this information helps you.

Dennis

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I can confirm that it is displaying only the active card which my be either slot 1 or slot 2 depending on user settings.

Dennis
04-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just tested this on my K-1 Changing the format from raw to jpeg changes the number displayed. So it is working as intended at least for me.
04-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never notice that, but then, I rarely check my ISO of the number of images remaining. I tend to check my image remaining when the back screen "memory card full" message comes up on the screen.

It happens , probably about once every two years, because i forgot to reformat the card after a big shooting day.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I just tested this on my K-1 Changing the format from raw to jpeg changes the number displayed. So it is working as intended at least for me.
I at last realized my confusing JPEG vs DNG results when testing space used on my memory card was due to misreading my menu setting. I chose DNG as the general type of file for RAW, and thought I'd set my picture taking to DNG when it was still set to JPEG for active use. After I compared correctly my figure for JPEG was 1386, and for DNG it was 398.
6 Days Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I at last realized my confusing JPEG vs DNG results when testing space used on my memory card was due to misreading my menu setting. I chose DNG as the general type of file for RAW, and thought I'd set my picture taking to DNG when it was still set to JPEG for active use. After I compared correctly my figure for JPEG was 1386, and for DNG it was 398.
I'm a sucker for mysteries that finally get solved in an unexpected way.