Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens advice

My granddaughter is part of dance troupe that routinely performs at care facilities which are often poorly lighted (for photography). I'm having blur problems with snap shots using the DA*18-135 (3.5/5.8) at the wide angle settings on my K-50 on a monopod. Due to eyesight, autofocus is mandatory. Any equipment/setting/technique advice please?

I also shoot video with a K-01. Since I can pre-set focus, I have the option of using a manual Sigma Super-Wide 24mm 2.8 or an M 28mm 2.8. Preference of the two?

Thank you in advance.

Banskojoe

04-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You didn't provide any sample or the settings that you are using. So I am going to guess that the blur is from slow shutter speed. I would suggest that you shoot TAV mode with a high enough shutter speed to stop the motion blur. Also allow your auto ISO to go to at least 6400. Hopefully it won't need to go that high but it is easy to deal with noise in post processing.
04-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry if this is an obvious question. When you use the monopod are you checking that shake reduction has been turned off?
04-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either of those two lenses wouldn't give you that much more light collecting capability than the 18-135 does at the wide end. 3.5 vs. 2.8 is not even a full stop. A stop of light is equal to a factor of 2 regarding exposure time or ISO. If you're at the limit of acceptable ISO for wide open aperture at the wide end of your 18-135 and get blurry pictures because the resulting exposure time is too long, chances are with the 24 or 28 at 2.8 you won't eliminate the blurriness because of movement in your scene, but only reduce it a bit. Note that using the monopod only reduces the blurriness you would induce because of your own movement, but can't eliminate the blurriness because a subject in your scene is moving too fast.
If you want to get sharper images of her while keeping the ISO sensitivity the same, you have to reduce exposure time even more, but that means you need a lens with a bigger maximum aperture (smaller number). A lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.0 would mean almost 2 stops of light gained, so you could cut your exposure time down to a 1/4 of what you use with your 18-135 now.

04-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
I also shoot video with a K-01. Since I can pre-set focus, I have the option of using a manual Sigma Super-Wide 24mm 2.8 or an M 28mm 2.8. Preference of the two?
i don't think so. the one you feel most comfortable with..

on the photo question: i agree with what is said: keep high shutter and high iso. tav mode.. Your k50 is quite alright for iso.
lens wise: the largest aperture possible.. maybe a da 35 2.4 or even better: try to find a sigma 30 1.4?
30 means the scene will be a bit reduced vs 18mm, so keep your distance..
04-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are only 3 things: ISO, shutter speed and aperture. You need higher shutter speed, with a higher ISO and a larger aperture to compensate. F2.0 and ISO6400 are practical limits, so if you are there, more light is your only fourth option.

I like the images I get from the Sigma 30 at f2. Make sure and adjust focus. You will also need to adjust your expectations regarding graininess.

Manual focus may actually be better. You may be chasing focus with each shot and are always off a bit.
04-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-01 and DA18-135mm. The DA18-135mm works nicely on the K-01. My wide, who is not as versed with photography, use the same combo (K01+DA18-135mm) without any problem.

I tend to set the camera to shutter speed priority to avoid blur caused by low shutter speed.

Hope that the comment may help.

04-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
My granddaughter is part of dance troupe that routinely performs at care facilities which are often poorly lighted (for photography). I'm having blur problems with snap shots using the DA*18-135 (3.5/5.8) at the wide angle settings on my K-50 on a monopod. Due to eyesight, autofocus is mandatory. Any equipment/setting/technique advice please?
Yes, Joe, put up your shots with EXIF intact and we can advise.
04-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

Have you thought of using a more powerful flash and/or a higher ISO setting? As mentioned already, sample images with EXIF would be very helpful.