Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Jpeg Pixel Size?

Hello,
I am setting up my KP to shoot my Son's track and field events. I will be shooting in burst mode and jpeg. What pixel size should I choose, small or large. I really don't knot the difference. Thank you very much.
Terry

04-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small medium and large are not pixel size but jpeg compression. Jong compression does 2 things, compared to raw.

First it downsamples the colour depth from 12 or 14 bits down to 8. Second, depending on the compression it merges shading and colours of pixels together

This is different than setting the number of megapixels which is also an option available.
04-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As long as you have a fast SD card, using the maximum JPEG quality and resolution settings doesn't penalize burst performance much. So, that's what I'd recommend. Just be sure to disable distortion corrections, as these add a lot of processing time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As long as you have a fast SD card, using the maximum JPEG quality and resolution settings doesn't penalize burst performance much. So, that's what I'd recommend. Just be sure to disable distortion corrections, as these add a lot of processing time.
Thank you, Adam. Where do I set it. Small or large. I will make the other setting that you recommend, too. It's the jpeg recorded pixels. Camera 2 Image capture settings.
Terry

---------- Post added 04-20-19 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Small medium and large are not pixel size but jpeg compression. Jong compression does 2 things, compared to raw.

First it downsamples the colour depth from 12 or 14 bits down to 8. Second, depending on the compression it merges shading and colours of pixels together

This is different than setting the number of megapixels which is also an option available.
Thank you, Lowell. I still need to know where to set this setting. Camera 2 Image capture settings, Jpeg recorded pixels.
Terry

04-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They are both under the image capture settings:

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
They are both under the image capture settings:
Ok, I have it set to L, and distortion correction is off. Anything else? Now can I set it to continuous focus, and increase my focal points, and use a fast card, and burst away. Stop down for goof dof, and increase shutter speed to 500. Will this be a good method for track and field?
Terry
04-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Ok, I have it set to L, and distortion correction is off. Anything else? Now can I set it to continuous focus, and increase my focal points, and use a fast card, and burst away. Stop down for goof dof, and increase shutter speed to 500. Will this be a good method for track and field?
Terry
Sounds like a plan! The only other thing I'd double-check is that other time-consuming corrections are off, such as skin tone and clarity.

Adam

04-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sounds like a plan! The only other thing I'd double-check is that other time-consuming corrections are off, such as skin tone and clarity.
I sure will, Adam. Thank you so much. This will be my first attempt at sports, so I'm a little nervous about it. I'm more of a set up the tripod, and slowly think through everything for landscapes. I hope the KP serves me well. These shots will be of my youngest Son, so I really want to nail it. I'm just hoping for a few keepers.
Regards,
Terry

04-21-2019, 01:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Now can I set it to continuous focus, and increase my focal points, and use a fast card, and burst away. Stop down for goof dof, and increase shutter speed to 500. Will this be a good method for track and field?
I think you know this already, but as well as continuous focus you need to set continuous shooting in the drive mode.

Have a look in the manual for use of "Expanded area AF" points. This can perform better with moving subjects. Be wary about setting the number of focus points too wide or the camera may be focussing not where you want it. Suggest you try and practice first and see which works best for you.
04-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Seems to me the smaller JPEG file settings are mainly to email images.
04-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think you know this already, but as well as continuous focus you need to set continuous shooting in the drive mode.

Have a look in the manual for use of "Expanded area AF" points. This can perform better with moving subjects. Be wary about setting the number of focus points too wide or the camera may be focussing not where you want it. Suggest you try and practice first and see which works best for you.
Thank you, Peter.

---------- Post added 04-23-19 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Seems to me the smaller JPEG file settings are mainly to email images.
Thank you, Mike. I set it on L.