Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax DFA 50 1.4 Test

Hello,
I'm not so happy with my first test shot with my lens test. The lens was purchased new back in December, and I'm just now using it. I wanted to check for front or back focusing, before going out today to get shots of a bush that's blooming in my yard. Can you take a look and see what you think? Thank you very much.
Terry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-21-2019, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The resolution isn't high enough - link a full resolution image from an external site or crop in to show the detail.
04-21-2019, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I close one eye, I see slight front focus. Go to menu C 25, => 3) Apply One: dial -2 AF Fine Adjustment => Press Ok => Press Menu Twice.
04-21-2019, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
I'm not so happy with my first test shot with my lens test. The lens was purchased new back in December, and I'm just now using it. I wanted to check for front or back focusing, before going out today to get shots of a bush that's blooming in my yard. Can you take a look and see what you think? Thank you very much.
Terry
f/1.4 is incredibly narrow. At 6’ distance the Depth of Field is .36 ft or about 4”, with 60% of the focus zone behind the focus point. The tilt of your test card alone might cause the upper or lower edge to be out of focus. Further, the card is not aligned (perpendicular to the sensor).

Why shoot @ISO 1600 and 1/4000?

Try using a tripod, make the card perfectly perpendicular to the sensor and shoot at ISO100 and 1/250 or faster. Use 2 second delay Mirror Up and/or Remote Shutter Release, Spot focus (not Center Point) and ensure your focus point is properly centered on the target.

[EDIT:] Incorrect. See below.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2019 at 08:20 PM.
04-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

What's the blue thing on the card? Is it meant to be there? That's what your camera will likely be focusing on.
Worth re-doing this and being a bit closer so it's easier to see.
04-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

First of all, that "target" on photo is positioned upside down, and not assembled properly. Tiltable targeting patch should be aligned as close as possible with camera sensor plane.
04-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Azaleas with my 50mm f/1.4

Ok, guys. It's been one of those days when if it could go wrong, it did. I had two card readers go bad at once. But I finally got a decent shot of our Azaleas blooming in the back yard. Thank you all for your help. It was very helpful.
Regards,
Terry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-21-2019, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adjusted exposure a little. Was losing light, outside.

Last edited by TerryL; 10-18-2019 at 06:29 PM.
04-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The resolution isn't high enough - link a full resolution image from an external site or crop in to show the detail.
I really appreciate your reply, but don't quite understand. I see that the resolution is the same with my flower shot. I shoot in raw, and use an older version of Lightroom. Where and how do I increase the resolution? I'm very interested in your suggestion, and would like to learn more about it. Thank your for your help.
Terry
04-21-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really appreciate your reply, but don't quite understand. I see that the resolution is the same with my flower shot. I shoot in raw, and use an older version of Lightroom. Where and how do I increase the resolution? I'm very interested in your suggestion, and would like to learn more about it. Thank your for your help.
Terry
I think your flower shots look excellent. I think what Uncle was saying is that the version uploaded is a small enough image that it is hard to tell where the camera was supposed to focus and where it did focus. It helps to have a crop of the area in focus. But I would just continue to shoot with it and see how it goes. I think it looks good from the real world shots you posted.
04-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
f/1.4 is incredibly narrow. At 6’ distance the Depth of Field is .36 ft or about 4”, with 60% of the focus zone behind the focus point. The tilt of your test card alone might cause the upper or lower edge to be out of focus. Further, the card is not aligned (perpendicular to the sensor).

Why shoot @ISO 1600 and 1/4000?

Try using a tripod, make the card perfectly perpendicular to the sensor and shoot at ISO100 and 1/250 or faster. Use 2 second delay Mirror Up and/or Remote Shutter Release, Spot focus (not Center Point) and ensure your focus point is properly centered on the target.
Paul,
Last year, I was told by a fellow member to do these tests with aperture wide open, so that's what I've always done. I realize how shallow the dof is at 1.4. How far do you think I should stop down? Perhaps f/2.8?
Terry
04-21-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Paul,
Last year, I was told by a fellow member to do these tests with aperture wide open, so that's what I've always done. I realize how shallow the dof is at 1.4. How far do you think I should stop down? Perhaps f/2.8?
Terry
I would start at f/1.4 and then each stop to f/5.6. The important thing is alignment and tripod. And orient the card. A Brick Wall test will also be revealing.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2019 at 08:21 PM.
04-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think your flower shots look excellent. I think what Uncle was saying is that the version uploaded is a small enough image that it is hard to tell where the camera was supposed to focus and where it did focus. It helps to have a crop of the area in focus. But I would just continue to shoot with it and see how it goes. I think it looks good from the real world shots you posted.
Vincent,
I'm so glad you replied. Thank you regarding my flower shot. I completely understand now, and was thinking something different. I was in a hurry because the tall trees started to block the light. BTW, I've been wanting to ask you, what software do you use to process your Pixel Shift images?
Terry

---------- Post added 04-21-19 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I would start at f/1.4 and then each stop to f/5.6. The important thing is alignment and tripod. And orient the card. A Brick Wall test will also be revealing.
Ok, Paul. I'll do that. The shot I posted was hand held. I don't guess that helps, either. Next time, I will use my tripod, and take my time. Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 04-21-19 at 05:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I close one eye, I see slight front focus. Go to menu C 25, => 3) Apply One: dial -2 AF Fine Adjustment => Press Ok => Press Menu Twice.
I think I'll use my tripod and take my time before making any adjustments. My hand held shot was not a good test. Thank you for the suggestion, though.
Terry
04-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vincent,
I'm so glad you replied. Thank you regarding my flower shot. I completely understand now, and was thinking something different. I was in a hurry because the tall trees started to block the light. BTW, I've been wanting to ask you, what software do you use to process your Pixel Shift images?
Terry

---------- Post added 04-21-19 at 05:32 PM ----------

Ok, Paul. I'll do that. The shot I posted was hand held. I don't guess that helps, either. Next time, I will use my tripod, and take my time. Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 04-21-19 at 05:41 PM ----------

I think I'll use my tripod and take my time before making any adjustments. My hand held shot was not a good test. Thank you for the suggestion, though.
Terry
Ignore biz-engineer's suggestion. He was trying to be funny and sometimes that doesn't convey well on the internet.

As far as pixel shift goes, I typically process them using Raw Therapee. I generate a neutral 16 bit TIFF file from there and finish the image in Lightroom as I feel more comfortable with it.
04-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uploading to the forum results in a reduced resolution image. The forum limits image size. Linking to a different site where full resolution is permitted is what I was trying to suggest.