Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2019, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pufferchung Quote
Originally posted by Larrymc Quote
Nice vicious little Copper head one of the snakes with a nice un-provoked bite record! You did kill the rascal didn't you??
No, I didn’t...it was just trying to find something to eat. I always leave snake alone. Killing them may do more harm than good.��

Michelle
Good for You! All these guys are relatively harmless if you leave them alone.

04-22-2019, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, I didnít...it was just trying to find something to eat. I always leave snake alone
Yes quite right. When we humans venture into nature we should leave no trace. Why kill a snake because it might harm us if we get close to it?
04-23-2019, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #33

Using epoxy or a like adhesive will be tricky as you need to have an electrical connection between the hot shoe and at least two of the screws and the grounding plate. Look at where the ground contacts are on a flash and you'll see why. There are contacts on the "ankle" of the foot as well as on the bottom or "sole".
04-23-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

I would get in touch with a camera repairer and tell them exactly what the problem is, offering to send some photos. I would be very wary of the condition of the screw threads in the hotshoe, they may not be good enough even if new M1.7 X 2.5 screws are used. With a 2mm tap and some 2mm screws, a solid repair could be made. A smaller business would be cheaper and do just as good a job.

04-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I would get in touch with a camera repairer and tell them exactly what the problem is, offering to send some photos. I would be very wary of the condition of the screw threads in the hotshoe, they may not be good enough even if new M1.7 X 2.5 screws are used. With a 2mm tap and some 2mm screws, a solid repair could be made. A smaller business would be cheaper and do just as good a job.
Pentasonic49:
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I agreed with you and I would love to send it to a smaller repair shop. Sadly, there is no smaller camera repair shop here, all we have is Precision camera and they don't have parts for pentax camera, so they have to send it to somewhere else. (I am still waiting for them to fix my Pentax 300 mm lens, it's more than 7 weeks already.) I called them yesterday and they said they could fix it....now I am debating if I should spend $300 to fix K3ii or just get a new K1ii.

Michelle

---------- Post added 04-23-19 at 06:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Good for You! All these guys are relatively harmless if you leave them alone.
Thank you very much Astro Dave.
Snakes are wonderful, even venomous snakes, they are part of nature. I have many encounters with venomous snakes (mostly Western rattlesnakes) here in central Texas, but this one was my first Copperhead.

Michelle

---------- Post added 04-23-19 at 07:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Using epoxy or a like adhesive will be tricky as you need to have an electrical connection between the hot shoe and at least two of the screws and the grounding plate. Look at where the ground contacts are on a flash and you'll see why. There are contacts on the "ankle" of the foot as well as on the bottom or "sole".
Not a Number:
You are right, I don't think I could just tape it or glue the hotshoe back, have to get someone professional to repair my camera. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment, it really helps!!

---------- Post added 04-23-19 at 07:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes quite right. When we humans venture into nature we should leave no trace. Why kill a snake because it might harm us if we get close to it?
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment..."When we humans venture into nature, we should leave no trace"..well said Peter! (Except a small part of hotshoe plate that I left somewhere on the forest floor)

Michelle
04-23-2019, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Except a small part of hotshoe plate that I left somewhere on the forest floor
Your secret is safe with me !!
04-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #37

Another thought just came to me: the holes in the body for the screws may be pass through holes (no threads). If that's the case, the screws could potentially drop into the body.
04-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Another thought just came to me: the holes in the body for the screws may be pass through holes (no threads). If that's the case, the screws could potentially drop into the body.
Not a Number:

After I saw your post, I checked my camera and poked it with a tiny toothpick, now that screw dropped into the body.

What do I do? is it ok or just leave it in there?

Michelle

04-24-2019, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a Number:

After I saw your post, I checked my camera and poked it with a tiny toothpick, now that screw dropped into the body.

What do I do? is it ok or just leave it in there?

Michelle
I'd say now you get it repaired before the screws lodge somewhere or short out something. Be sure to tell them the screws are inside the camera loose.
04-24-2019, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . now I am saving money to buy a new Pentax k1 ii. . . .
since the OP lives in the US, the consideration of renting a K 1 or K 1 II might be wise before switching to one of those FF cameras:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...nt.html#ixzz5m

there would be a cost involved, but nothing like buying a K 1 or K 1 II and then deciding it isn't what is wanted

if buying " experienced " equipment, don't forget about the forum's market place " buy/sell ", it can be sorted by country:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

before attempting self repair, this thread about JIS screws might be helpful to review:

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-24-2019 at 03:56 AM.
04-25-2019, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Before putting significant money into repairing this camera, consider struggling along without using flash until the K-3 II replacement arrives. It will probably come in at around $1,300 or so. Then your money will go towards a significant upgrade. Otherwise, the price for a new KP is very attractive right now. B&H's offer until April 27, 2019 is under $800 with a free SD card. I have the KP, as well as the K-5 IIs, similar to the K-3 in design, and I like them both, but the KP has been my most often-used body by far. I bought the silver version and it is a beaut.

I just looked, and found B&H is closed for Passover, until Saturday April 27th, 9:15pm EDT, which would be earlier in your location. (the last day for that price unless they decide to extend it- so presumably the purchase could be made on line at that time on Saturday, but before midnight their time.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-25-2019 at 07:08 PM.
04-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Seeing that the UK has only one venomous snake I doubt very much that you have come in close proximity to one. I agree that snakes (especially beneficial snakes) should be left alone but Copperheads live in quite close proximity to civilization here where I live and they issue more bites than any other venomous snake east of the Rocky Mountains. Young children can easily come in close contact with a Copperhead so these snakes are a problem. Thus my comment.
04-26-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Seeing that the UK has only one venomous snake I doubt very much that you have come in close proximity to one.
I live in Woking , Surrey and walk my dogs every day on Horsell Common which has one of the largest population of Adders in the country. I have seen plenty of them, close up. If I stick to the mornings and the paths with the dogs and we rarely encounter one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I agree that snakes (especially beneficial snakes) should be left alone but Copperheads live in quite close proximity to civilization here where I live and they issue more bites than any other venomous snake east of the Rocky Mountains. Young children can easily come in close contact with a Copperhead so these snakes are a problem. Thus my comment.
Then you need to educate your population both adult and children alike about how to co-exist with dangerous animals that live in your locale. Wear suitable clothing. Be extra vigilant as temperatures rise and the snakes are active. Don't play in the undergrowth where snakes are known to live. Keep eyes out on paths for when they are basking and are more dangerous. Encouraging others to kill an animal because the majority of people do not understand their behaviour is barbaric.
04-26-2019, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then you need to educate your population both adult and children alike about how to co-exist with dangerous animals that live in your locale. Wear suitable clothing. Be extra vigilant as temperatures rise and the snakes are active. Don't play in the undergrowth where snakes are known to live. Keep eyes out on paths for when they are basking and are more dangerous. Encouraging others to kill an animal because the majority of people do not understand their behaviour is barbaric.
Barbaric seems a bit harsh. In my 1.25 acre yard in North Carolina I have routinely run into copperheads. They are aggressive and prone to biting but most of the time they stay out of the way and I ignore them. However when they are in the main part of the yard and get aggressive - they die. I have also seen small children around here (too young to stop from picking up snakes) pick up copperheads and get bitten or when lucky drop it before bitten. this is not in the undergrowth - this is in the grass on the lawn or even on concrete driveways. BTW - I have a Ball Python in my house - I'm not averse to snakes.
04-26-2019, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finding a dangerous animal in your house or yard is totally different from finding one on a trail as the OP did.