Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2019, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #46

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Update: I really wanted to fix k3ii, since Precision camera Austin told me over the phone that they could fix in-store. However, once the repairman looked at my k3ii, sure enough, he said he couldn't fix it, had to send it back. They don't know how much and how long....(maybe about 8 weeks, that's what they told me)
I was very sad and angry at myself for dropping the camera....my poor husband felt sorry for me so he sold some of his vacation times and bought a new K1ii @ Adorama.
Adorama was closed last week for the Easter Holiday, so I'll get my new K1ii on this comingThursday.
My K3ii is still working, just no flash. I don't know what to do with that loose screw is still floating somewhere inside my camera. It's out of my hands so I'll just let it "float".
I still want to fix my K3ii, just don't want to wait 2 months and without knowing how much it would cost to fix it.

Michelle

(PS One more question: Can I use K3ii sync socket for Pentax AF360FGZII flash? I read the menu it said "Can the sync socket be used for professional flashes? A: Yes, it can. However, some professional flashes use extremely high voltages. The use of such flashes may cause the camera to breakdown. Before using the flash, check its specification in advance"....so what kind of equipments do I need to buy to use k3ii sync socket as a flash trigger for pentax AF360FGZII flash?)
I'll post my question a new thread..

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 12:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
since the OP lives in the US, the consideration of renting a K 1 or K 1 II might be wise before switching to one of those FF cameras:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent

Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

there would be a cost involved, but nothing like buying a K 1 or K 1 II and then deciding it isn't what is wanted

if buying " experienced " equipment, don't forget about the forum's market place " buy/sell ", it can be sorted by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

before attempting self repair, this thread about JIS screws might be helpful to review:

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
To aslyfox
Thank you so much for the information! I did some research on KP and K1ii, and I decided to buy a K1ii.
I don't think I am good enough to repair the camera myself....I think l have to send it to someone who have parts to fix Pentax camera.

Michelle

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 12:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Before putting significant money into repairing this camera, consider struggling along without using flash until the K-3 II replacement arrives. It will probably come in at around $1,300 or so. Then your money will go towards a significant upgrade. Otherwise, the price for a new KP is very attractive right now. B&H's offer until April 27, 2019 is under $800 with a free SD card. I have the KP, as well as the K-5 IIs, similar to the K-3 in design, and I like them both, but the KP has been my most often-used body by far. I bought the silver version and it is a beaut.

I just looked, and found B&H is closed for Passover, until Saturday April 27th, 9:15pm EDT, which would be earlier in your location. (the last day for that price unless they decide to extend it- so presumably the purchase could be made on line at that time on Saturday, but before midnight their time.
Hi Mikesbike:
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! That's very helpful. I agreed with you, and really wanted to get a KP...since the price at B&H is so attractive. I have a K70 and love it! I mainly use it for daytime wildlife photography, such as wild birds, butterflies and dragonflies. I only use K3ii for night time insect macro photography and wild flowers.
However, my husband insisted to buy a K1ii, since he is paying for it.....

MIchelle

Last edited by Pufferchung; 04-29-2019 at 10:42 PM.
04-30-2019, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

You are lucky to have such a nice husband. That loose screw might cause problems if you are still out of luck with the camera. I have an old Centon ringflash which connects with a sync cord. it fits on lenses up to 55mm filter thread. Here is one for sale on ebay UK, but you could look out for this type on your local ebay: Centon MR20 Macro Ringflash | eBay
04-30-2019, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pufferchung Quote
. . . To aslyfox
Thank you so much for the information! . . .

Michelle
one of the best things about the forums is the wealth of info available

from members

from the reviews and articles.

have fun with your equipment

would love to see some of your photos
04-30-2019, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

I've just found a YouTube video of a strip down of a K3ii which includes the top part. Having looked at it, the top can be removed quite easily using a small JIS screwdriver. If you know anyone who likes taking intricate things to bits and repairing them, it might be worthwhile showing them the video and finding out what they think about doing it for you.

04-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
You are lucky to have such a nice husband. That loose screw might cause problems if you are still out of luck with the camera. I have an old Centon ringflash which connects with a sync cord. it fits on lenses up to 55mm filter thread. Here is one for sale on ebay UK, but you could look out for this type on your local ebay: Centon MR20 Macro Ringflash | eBay
Hi Pentasonic49:

That's so cool! I do have a cheap ring flash that I bought from Amazon, but I don't use it as a "camera flash" , just as a "ring light". I'll look into that Centon ringflash with a sync cord! Thank you so much for the information, that's very helpful.

Michelle
04-30-2019, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
one of the best things about the forums is the wealth of info available

from members

from the reviews and articles.

have fun with your equipment

would love to see some of your photos
Hi aslyfox:

Thank you very much! Everyone here is so helpful, I've learned so much. I am going to order parts online, then ask my mom to find someone in Taiwan to fix for me.

Michelle
'Moustache' jumping spider (Phidippus mystaceus) that I took with k3ii (before I broke the flash)
Handheld, no tripod, with a ring light and AF360FGZII flash
smc Pentax D-FA macro 100mm F2.8 wr, ISO 100, 0 ev, f/16, 1/160

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 03:24 PM ----------

Hi Pentasonic49:

That video is awesome! I think I can take the screw out myself. I am good with my hands and have made some DIY beadwork with small tools and tiny beads. Thank you so much for sharing that video!

Michelle
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-30-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Then you need to educate your population both adult and children alike about how to co-exist with dangerous animals that live in your locale.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Finding a dangerous animal in your house or yard is totally different from finding one on a trail as the OP did.

Welcome the Southeastern U.S.. Copperheads may be quite common even in the suburbs and have excellent cammoflage. I agree that it is usually good to live and let live and let nature be nature, but that balance tilts a little away from the snake's favor when they are in a position to harm our animals or family members. My sister and brother-in-law have a weekend home in mountains in North Carolina. If he finds a copperhead on the property, it is quite quickly a dead copperhead; there is no sense risking the well-being of their two dogs.

A few years ago, my daughter (about 11 at the time) and I were hiking with a group in the Columbia River Gorge east of my home. She and another girl asked permission to run ahead of the rest of us and we gave our permission. About ten minutes later we came across a very agitated rattlesnake coiled about 2 feet off the trail and well within striking distance of someone passing by. We gave it a broad margin of respect and continued on to the parking lot where the girls were out of breath and waiting. I asked them about the snake and they said, "Snake? What snake?" I very quickly realized the reason for the snake's agitation and was prayerfully thankful that they did not stumble or stop there.

Yes, rattlesnakes are not uncommon in that part of the gorge, but not usually in the forest and we were off our guard.

Steve

04-30-2019, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pufferchung Quote
Can I use K3ii sync socket for Pentax AF360FGZII flash? I read the menu it said "Can the sync socket be used for professional flashes? A: Yes, it can. However, some professional flashes use extremely high voltages. The use of such flashes may cause the camera to breakdown. Before using the flash, check its specification in advance"....so what kind of equipments do I need to buy to use k3ii sync socket as a flash trigger for pentax AF360FGZII flash?)
Questions about high-voltage flashes will come up occasionally, but there is no need to worry unless you're using older flashes. Modern ones are designed for the modern hot shoes, but using an older flash like a Vivitar 283, which puts out a high amount of volts through the hot shoe connector, has been known to fry electronics in newer digital cameras. If you're concerned about this with older (think 1970s and 1980s flashes) then buy an inexpensive hot shoe voltage reducer: Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe with PC 990-560 B&H Photo
05-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I got my Cobra Macroflash out, powered it up and the trigger voltage is under 8V. It has a guide number of 5 metres as iso 100. Auto iso range from 25-400 between 30-95 CM It comes with adaptor rings 49-52 and 55mm.

If you attempt to remove the top, remember there is a screw under the rubber grip on the left of the camera. There is no need to remove the base or sides, and the wiring may just be long enough to leave the wiring connected. As I mentioned, proper JIS crosshead screwdrivers must be used, not Phillips.

Last edited by pentasonic49; 05-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.
05-02-2019, 01:07 AM   #55

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Questions about high-voltage flashes will come up occasionally, but there is no need to worry unless you're using older flashes. Modern ones are designed for the modern hot shoes, but using an older flash like a Vivitar 283, which puts out a high amount of volts through the hot shoe connector, has been known to fry electronics in newer digital cameras. If you're concerned about this with older (think 1970s and 1980s flashes) then buy an inexpensive hot shoe voltage reducer: Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe with PC 990-560 B&H Photo

Hi Builttospill:

Thank you so much for answering my question. I don't know anything about high-voltage flashes, your detailed explanation really helps! I'll stay away from Vivitar 283 and some other older flashes.

Michelle

---------- Post added 05-02-19 at 03:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome the Southeastern U.S.. Copperheads may be quite common even in the suburbs and have excellent cammoflage. I agree that it is usually good to live and let live and let nature be nature, but that balance tilts a little away from the snake's favor when they are in a position to harm our animals or family members. My sister and brother-in-law have a weekend home in mountains in North Carolina. If he finds a copperhead on the property, it is quite quickly a dead copperhead; there is no sense risking the well-being of their two dogs.

A few years ago, my daughter (about 11 at the time) and I were hiking with a group in the Columbia River Gorge east of my home. She and another girl asked permission to run ahead of the rest of us and we gave our permission. About ten minutes later we came across a very agitated rattlesnake coiled about 2 feet off the trail and well within striking distance of someone passing by. We gave it a broad margin of respect and continued on to the parking lot where the girls were out of breath and waiting. I asked them about the snake and they said, "Snake? What snake?" I very quickly realized the reason for the snake's agitation and was prayerfully thankful that they did not stumble or stop there.

Yes, rattlesnakes are not uncommon in that part of the gorge, but not usually in the forest and we were off our guard.

Steve
Hi Steve:
Here in central Texas, we have to deal with venomous snakes all the times. However, I was told "do not engage, or kill any snake, even it's in your backyard".... The best way to deal with a venomous snake in your property is to call the animal control, 311, or post on the local facebook snake ID group, there are many snake lovers on facebook will come flying to your house, remove that snake from your yard. We also have rattlesnake/copperheads vaccine for dogs, (about $50 per shot) I heard many cattle ranchers vaccinated their beloved cattle dogs.

Michelle

---------- Post added 05-02-19 at 03:58 AM ----------

I got my Cobra Macroflash out, powered it up and the trigger voltage is under 8V. It has a guide number of 5 metres as iso 100. Auto iso range from 25-400 between 30-95 CM It comes with adaptor rings 49-52 and 55mm.

If you attempt to remove the top, remember there is a screw under the rubber grip on the left of the camera. There is no need to remove the base or sides, and the wiring may just be long enough to leave the wiring connected. As I mentioned, proper JIS crosshead screwdrivers must be used, not Phillips.
Hi Pentasonic49:

I have an old and broken KS2, I'll get a JIS crosshead screwdriver from amazon and then practice on that camera first!
Thank you so much for your advice, that's very very helpful!

Michelle
05-02-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

That broken KS2 may also be a donor for the hotshoe, screws and the spring you lost. The screw length must be the same as the K3ii ones, you can probably get screws the same length on ebay, or shorten the KS2 ones with a little file if needed. Don't forget to find the missing screw and take the battery out of the K3ii before working on it. Good luck. Take your own pictures as you go if possible and reassemble in the reverse order.
05-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #57

Original Poster
That broken KS2 may also be a donor for the hotshoe, screws and the spring you lost. The screw length must be the same as the K3ii ones, you can probably get screws the same length on ebay, or shorten the KS2 ones with a little file if needed. Don't forget to find the missing screw and take the battery out of the K3ii before working on it. Good luck. Take your own pictures as you go if possible and reassemble in the reverse order.
Hi Pentasonic49:

I didn't know I could reuse parts from my broken KS2!! That's wonderful!

Do you know what size of JIS crosshead screwdriver should I get? I couldn't find any information on that youtube video nor online, thank you in-advance!

Michelle
05-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Can't help you with the exact size, I have a set of instrument screwdrivers which includes two JIS crossheads and just try them out for size before using. This is the sort of set you would best get, top quality. Note, postage in the USA ought to be much less than to Blighty. Moody Tools Chromium Vanadium Steel JIS-type Screwdriver Set/58-0219 18018802196 | eBay
05-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #59

Original Poster
Can't help you with the exact size, I have a set of instrument screwdrivers which includes two JIS crossheads and just try them out for size before using. This is the sort of set you would best get, top quality. Note, postage in the USA ought to be much less than to Blighty. Moody Tools Chromium Vanadium Steel JIS-type Screwdriver Set/58-0219 18018802196 | eBay
Hi: Pentasonic49:

Thank you for the link! I found one from Amazon, same price, free two days prime shipping too!

Michelle
05-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #60

Original Poster
Hi Pentasonic49:

I just received Centon MR20 Macro ringflash. However, I could not find an outlet on K3ii to plug it in. Is there something missing? Or shall I get another part to connect to my camera?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3 XL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3 XL  Photo