Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi everyone.

I have been using my DA*300/4 for many years (seven to nine years now I think) and I have never encountered a problem with it ... ever.

This morning I was out doing some birds of prey birding and all of a sudden, this happened:

Pressing the AF (top front - I don't use the back AF button) - lens mounted on my K3 as usual - : I can "hear" the SDM AF kicking in but within a few seconds the obvious screw drive AF kicks in !! I sure could hear this buzzing typical of the screw drive AF.
This goes on back and forth between the SDM vs. screw drive a few times then it stops and goes back to SDM only.

Another thing that happened while the screw drive AF was active, is the "continous AF" while the camera is set to single AF only.

So I turned the camera off, started it again : same thing but only once.
Then: turned the camera OFF, removed the battery - reinserted the battery, turned camera on: all is fine for a few shots but it did happened once more.

Even when the SDM AF was "supposedly" working fine, about 50% of my shots were blurred. Even those shots of stationary subjects.

Note that the lens switch was on AF; I had verified this.

So ... big questions:
1. Is this a sure sign that my DA*300/4 is dying?
2. Why would the screw drive kick in?
3. Has the camera having anything to do with this?

Any help/advice/opinion would be tremendously welcomed.

Thanks !
If UncleVana will take it, you can rest in peace. He fixed my DA 200, and I now absolutely love it. The screwdrive is fast and accurate. I'll do the same if my DA 300 acts up.

05-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like one of those wired electrical conflicts often reported when battery voltage is low and/or thrtr’e some conflict with the grip.
05-30-2019, 06:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
If UncleVana will take it, you can rest in peace. He fixed my DA 200, and I now absolutely love it. The screwdrive is fast and accurate. I'll do the same if my DA 300 acts up.
I do take the DA 300. Thanks for the plug! If I recall the op got his legs working again so conversion may not be needed.
06-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sounds like one of those wired electrical conflicts often reported when battery voltage is low and/or thrtr’e some conflict with the grip.
Seems like it ... the camera has been "performing" normally since I made sure to have the grip power OFF and the batteries fully charged.
Then gain, what will happen when I turned this grip ON ? (I haven't had the need to have it powered up lately).

---------- Post added 06-20-19 at 09:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I do take the DA 300. Thanks for the plug! If I recall the op got his legs working again so conversion may not be needed.
See my reply above.

06-20-2019, 06:22 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seems like it ... the camera has been "performing" normally since I made sure to have the grip power OFF and the batteries fully charged.
Then gain, what will happen when I turned this grip ON ? (I haven't had the need to have it powered up lately).

---------- Post added 06-20-19 at 09:14 AM ----------

See my reply above.
Make sure the ON switch is correctly aligned in it’s detent. Misalignment seems to cause problems.
06-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have similar problem with my DA*200 when it's cold out. If the battery is low it doesn't have enough power to run SDM. It works properly only with a freshly charged battery if it's cover than -10ºC.