Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meike MK-PT01

Hello
Does anyone know this cheap Hot Shoe TTL Flash Sync Cord Cable for Pentax DSLR Camera?
I've bought one at E-bay and when I mount it at my K-3 together with my AF-540FGZ it doesn't work.
The only thing I've noticed is that the display at my camera shows an icon that indicate I've mounted a GPS, which I of course haven't.

Attached Images

04-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you made sure the contacts are correctly aligned?

I use the Vello, which works fine. The pins on the small block in your picture seem to correspond exactly to those on my Vello. If you turn the large block over, we can see if the pins there are correct too. There are 5 on the Vello, 4 thin and 1 thick.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-30-2019 at 09:41 AM.
04-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have an ohmmeter, you can check continuity between corresponding pins (as well as ground) on the extension cable - there should be essentially no resistance (maybe a few tenths of an ohm). Maybe cross check, too, to make sure nothing is shorted.

Does the flash register correctly when it is mounted directly on the camera hot shoe?
04-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the same Meike cable and it works fine on my K-3. However, be sure it's seated properly in the hotshoe. It happened a few time that it wasn't and caused the flash to work erraticaly.

07-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MortenV Quote
Hello
Does anyone know this cheap Hot Shoe TTL Flash Sync Cord Cable for Pentax DSLR Camera?
I've bought one at E-bay and when I mount it at my K-3 together with my AF-540FGZ it doesn't work.
The only thing I've noticed is that the display at my camera shows an icon that indicate I've mounted a GPS, which I of course haven't.
Hello, have you solved your problem with the Meike cable? I have just bought the MK-PT01 cable from ebay, but it doesn't seem to work with both my K-3 II and K-5. I've installed it correctly on the hotshoe and P-TTL flash unit (Shanny SN600 FGZ), the flash unit even shows the icon that it's connected to a camera. But it just doesn't trigger the flash, and the flash's auto zoom also doesn't function. Unfortunately I don't have an access to a multitester / ohmmeter so I'm unable to test it...
07-13-2019, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Solved

Excuse my late reply, but I'm on holiday and therefore do not check PF so often.
I found a solution. It was the shield connection in the socket. It is made resilient and should be able to reach the flash shoe itself, which it did not do on mine. It takes a bit of a good patience to separate it and get the spring to bent so that it will work.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ100  Photo 
07-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

It finally works!

QuoteOriginally posted by MortenV Quote
Excuse my late reply, but I'm on holiday and therefore do not check PF so often.
I found a solution. It was the shield connection in the socket. It is made resilient and should be able to reach the flash shoe itself, which it did not do on mine. It takes a bit of a good patience to separate it and get the spring to bent so that it will work.
Wow, I can't thank you enough for this insight!
After disassembly I found that my cable had 2 problems: loose shield connector, and unsoldered springs.
I pushed the curved part of the connector outwards so it's more bent and able to contact the hot shoe rail.
Then the loose springs, they correspond to the "Mode" and "Digital" pins, so only "Ready" and "Trigger" pins were connected before disassembly. No wonder that the flash unit shows camera icon but it doesn't seem to get any other signal from the camera...
So I soldered the springs back to the PCB, and reassemble. Now the cable finally works properly!
Once again thank you very much, and I hope you have a great holiday!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Redmi Note 5  Photo 

Last edited by idfox63; 07-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.