Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can’t remove Battery Grip from K3-II.

The knurled wheel on the battery grip will not turn in either direction. There is a minuscule amount of vertical flop. Being a slender senior citizen and already losing upper body strength, I cannot imagine that I over tightened it to the point I nor two former marines cannot turn it.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Correct? As best as I recall there is no other locking mechanism.

It is not an immediate catastrophe in that the camera works off the battery in the battery grip but I wanted to recharge the battery in the body

I’m assuming traditional techniques for removing stubborn lids, running it under hot water faucet or tapping it on the edge of a counter are not good ideas. Nor is a liberal application of WD40.

Do y’all think this needs to go to an authorized service center? Both pieces are out of warranty so there is no deadline.

05-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you may have to try a little WD40 from the back unless someone on the forum knows better. It can be wiped off with tissues later.
05-01-2019, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
The knurled wheel on the battery grip will not turn in either direction. There is a minuscule amount of vertical flop. Being a slender senior citizen and already losing upper body strength, I cannot imagine that I over tightened it to the point I nor two former marines cannot turn it.
Yup, you've over tightened it.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Correct? As best as I recall there is no other locking mechanism.
Yup.

I’m assuming traditional techniques for removing stubborn lids, running it under hot water faucet or tapping it on the edge of a counter are not good ideas. Nor is a liberal application of WD40.
Indeed.

Do y’all think this needs to go to an authorized service center? Both pieces are out of warranty so there is no deadline
Nope. Just take a deep breath and remember it's lefty loosy when looking at it from below. Then, take something like a screwdriver with a bit of cloth around the tip and carefully push in the ribbed knob surface in the direction to loosen. A little bit at a time, and before you know it, it will be loose. Take care as to not slip and don't gouge a groove int he side of the camera or the grip.
05-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I think you may have to try a little WD40 from the back unless someone on the forum knows better. It can be wiped off with tissues later.
Stay away from the WD40.

05-01-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Try this...taking tiny steps at a time.

Place a dull screwdriver point on the release ring grip bump that's closest to the face of the grip (see picts, below).

Holding the driver perpendicular to the grip face, slowly add pressure to the bump until the ring turns a tiny bit and starts to loosen.

Adjust the screw driver point to the next-up bump and slowly apply pressure unlit the ring turns, again... repeat, one bump at a time, until the ring is loose enought for you to finger grip it and complete the task.

Worked for me.

Good luck... M
Yup, this is the method I was writing about. But I put a fine cloth around the screwdriver head so as to avoid scratches. Well explained - thanks!
05-01-2019, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Try this...taking tiny steps at a time.

Place a dull screwdriver point on the release ring grip bump that's closest to the face of the grip (see picts, below).

Holding the driver perpendicular to the grip face, slowly add pressure to the bump until the ring turns a tiny bit and starts to loosen.

Adjust the screw driver point to the next-up bump and slowly apply pressure unlit the ring turns, again... repeat, one bump at a time, until the ring is loose enought for you to finger grip it and complete the task.

Worked for me.

Good luck... M
That’s the ticket!!! Thanks to you send all y’all who responded so promptly.
05-01-2019, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same problem with mine and used the screwdriver method to loosen. The thing seems to become tighter by itself somehow. After two episodes I now barely snug the thing and have had no more problems. I thought I had barely snugged the thing the second time it happened, but I was wrong.

05-01-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may be a little late, but maybe put some masking tape along either side of the area you'll be tapping with the screwdriver.
It might save a little scuffing.
12-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It is not an immediate catastrophe in that the camera works off the battery in the battery grip but I wanted to recharge the battery in the body

Do y’all think this needs to go to an authorized service center? Both pieces are out of warranty so there is no deadline.
Take it to a mechanic or a construction worker. They'll have it off in one second.

They do have a tendency to stick. Once off, put some Vaseline on the thread. It could be a galvanic reaction.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

They do have a tendency to stick. Once off, put some Vaseline on the thread. It could be a galvanic reaction.

Cheers,
Cameron
Would not dry graphite lubricant be better ?
12-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Would not dry graphite lubricant be better ?
I got curious about galvanic reactions and did a search. This page says (about 2/3 down) that graphite is "a known initiator of galvanic corrosion"! Well, who knew.

Why You Should Change to Non-Metallic-Based Thread Lubricants, Pastes, and Sealants - Reliability Matters

Then I looked at a galvanic table, a list of materials that show how likely they will exchange ions with each other to cause galvanic corrosion. It's important in applications where two metals are used, if you want the metals to last. General rule of thumb, use metals that are close to each other on the chart. The camera mount is stainless steel, which isn't all that specific as there are many alloys. I don't know what the grip's screw is made of. But graphite is way at one end of the chart, so I see why it wouldn't be good.
12-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instead of critical WD40:
Loctite Silver Grade Anti-Seize

When loosening the ribbed knob: At the same time push the battery-grip towards the camera! That loosens the stress.