Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Perfessor5646's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 324
Canít remove Battery Grip from K3-II.

The knurled wheel on the battery grip will not turn in either direction. There is a minuscule amount of vertical flop. Being a slender senior citizen and already losing upper body strength, I cannot imagine that I over tightened it to the point I nor two former marines cannot turn it.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Correct? As best as I recall there is no other locking mechanism.

It is not an immediate catastrophe in that the camera works off the battery in the battery grip but I wanted to recharge the battery in the body

I’m assuming traditional techniques for removing stubborn lids, running it under hot water faucet or tapping it on the edge of a counter are not good ideas. Nor is a liberal application of WD40.

Do y’all think this needs to go to an authorized service center? Both pieces are out of warranty so there is no deadline.

05-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: weston-super-mare
Posts: 310
I think you may have to try a little WD40 from the back unless someone on the forum knows better. It can be wiped off with tissues later.
05-01-2019, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
The knurled wheel on the battery grip will not turn in either direction. There is a minuscule amount of vertical flop. Being a slender senior citizen and already losing upper body strength, I cannot imagine that I over tightened it to the point I nor two former marines cannot turn it.
Yup, you've over tightened it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Correct? As best as I recall there is no other locking mechanism.
Yup.


QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Iím assuming traditional techniques for removing stubborn lids, running it under hot water faucet or tapping it on the edge of a counter are not good ideas. Nor is a liberal application of WD40.
Indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Do yíall think this needs to go to an authorized service center? Both pieces are out of warranty so there is no deadline
Nope. Just take a deep breath and remember it's lefty loosy when looking at it from below. Then, take something like a screwdriver with a bit of cloth around the tip and carefully push in the ribbed knob surface in the direction to loosen. A little bit at a time, and before you know it, it will be loose. Take care as to not slip and don't gouge a groove int he side of the camera or the grip.
05-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,862
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I think you may have to try a little WD40 from the back unless someone on the forum knows better. It can be wiped off with tissues later.
Stay away from the WD40.

05-01-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Try this...taking tiny steps at a time.

Place a dull screwdriver point on the release ring grip bump that's closest to the face of the grip (see picts, below).

Holding the driver perpendicular to the grip face, slowly add pressure to the bump until the ring turns a tiny bit and starts to loosen.

Adjust the screw driver point to the next-up bump and slowly apply pressure unlit the ring turns, again... repeat, one bump at a time, until the ring is loose enought for you to finger grip it and complete the task.

Worked for me.


Good luck... M
Yup, this is the method I was writing about. But I put a fine cloth around the screwdriver head so as to avoid scratches. Well explained - thanks!
05-01-2019, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Perfessor5646's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 324
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Try this...taking tiny steps at a time.

Place a dull screwdriver point on the release ring grip bump that's closest to the face of the grip (see picts, below).

Holding the driver perpendicular to the grip face, slowly add pressure to the bump until the ring turns a tiny bit and starts to loosen.

Adjust the screw driver point to the next-up bump and slowly apply pressure unlit the ring turns, again... repeat, one bump at a time, until the ring is loose enought for you to finger grip it and complete the task.

Worked for me.


Good luck... M
Thatís the ticket!!! Thanks to you send all yíall who responded so promptly.
05-01-2019, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 107
I had the same problem with mine and used the screwdriver method to loosen. The thing seems to become tighter by itself somehow. After two episodes I now barely snug the thing and have had no more problems. I thought I had barely snugged the thing the second time it happened, but I was wrong.
05-01-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Riggomatic's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Auburn, Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,807
I may be a little late, but maybe put some masking tape along either side of the area you'll be tapping with the screwdriver.
It might save a little scuffing.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery grip, body, camera, grip, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: SOLD: Pentax K3 II and Pentax Battery Grip pastorbbc Sold Items 2 05-25-2018 11:50 AM
Remove grip for battery? Moropo Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 02-27-2016 05:33 PM
Can K3 use two batteries at the same time? (Battery grip and inbody) enyceckk Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-09-2014 09:41 AM
ME: Trying to remove top cover but can't remove knobs Capslock118 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 08-06-2011 11:30 AM
How do you remove the dust that cannot be remove by the blower? rustynail925 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 07-31-2010 10:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top