Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

Bought M42 to PK mount adaptor for K-01...stuck.

Dear all, forgive my that I am a total newbie and this is my first post.

For many years I am a proud (second owner) of a used Pentax-K01 (however this is without the default kit DA lens, but instead offered with takumar 28-80MM lens and later bought SMC 50MM lens). Mainly have been using it for videography.

I have been planning to use a Helios 44-2 or the 44-6 for my K-01.
(which I'm sure many are aware) I've looked at was simply stunning.

So I bought an M42 to PK adaptor here; thinking it would fit for my K-01 no problem as the seller does state in the description that the K-01 is compatible.

Alas, now it is stuck. I cannot unscrew, nor get it out. Tried rotating both clock and anticlockwise did not loosen the adaptor at all.

Should I go ahead and order the helios lens right away? Assuming now the camera only accepts M42 lenses. Otherwise, My pentax K-01 (and both of my existing Takumar zoom lens and SMC50 lens) are now rendered useless ....

Attached Images

05-01-2019, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the M42 to PK adapter. I too learned the hard way that the only M42 to PK adapter that I trust is the one from Pentax. They're pricey but don't get stuck on the camera.

My solution for removing a similar knockoff from my camera (K20d at the time) was to use a pipe wrench to get leverage, while depressing the lens release button. It was delicate operation with a very indelicate tool, and fortunately it didn't take much force to loosen the adapter. You might try a large metal filter wrench, like a 105 or 112, that might fit around the edge of that adapter.
05-02-2019, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You won't be able to get infinity focus with your Helios using that style of flanged adapter, so once you do get it off you should replace it with the official Pentax adapter or a decent quality equivalent. The adapter should sit flush with the face of the K mount so that you can get infinity focus, and not have a flange like the one you've got now. Your adapter should look like this:

Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Screwmount to K Mount) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
05-02-2019, 01:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
David & Dartmoor,

Thank you so much for the prompt responses really appreciated it.

I've decided to bit the bullet and made purchase on INDUSTAR 3,5 / 50 50MM lens instead of the Helios 44-2. For under $35USD. Upon further last minute desperate research - image quality, sharpness, bokeh quality etc, seemed to more or less the same on either lenses. But instead of helios's $50> average pricing. The Industar is favourably under that ($<35). Hopefully once I do get the lens, I could just screw it in and it should hopefully "picks" up and "merges" with the adaptor which then allows me to dismantle both the adaptor and the lens out without any damage....

Very good idea on using the wrench!! Will try that (gently of course) in the mean time and see if it loosens up...

05-02-2019, 02:49 AM - 4 Likes   #5

Original Poster
I got it out! Much appreciated to david94903. I've decided to upload up a small instructions for everyone else as to how to get the adaptor out safely with an adjustable spanner.
Attached Images

05-02-2019, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Albums
Good, you got it off!
With an original, or similar third party Pentax adapter you will be very likely facing light leaks with Helios 44-2 because the lens has a rather slim rear construction.

The problem is easily solved slightly tuning the set up. For example with some rubber ring after mounting the adapter and the lens.
Just notice the possible leaking and check it before you getting to shoot seriously!
05-02-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

never use no name adapters! i got exactly the same you have and it was stuck too. i managed to get it off but scratched surface of camera with tool i used as an aid. you can get a decent one produced by k&f concept for ~25$ if you don't have 50 for the original pentax adapter. k&f works for me very well.
btw - Helios 44-2 is way better than industar, which still is good lens for it's size and iq for that price of course, but it surely lacks the fantastic bokeh at f2 that helios has. however you must be sure that aperture is not oily. helios lenses were produced in 3 factories and all lenses from 2 of them leak that nasty stuff sooner or later. i got one such, will try to open, deconstruct and clean.

Last edited by ignath; 05-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.
05-02-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cogent Quote
David & Dartmoor,

Thank you so much for the prompt responses really appreciated it.

I've decided to bit the bullet and made purchase on INDUSTAR 3,5 / 50 50MM lens instead of the Helios 44-2. For under $35USD. Upon further last minute desperate research - image quality, sharpness, bokeh quality etc, seemed to more or less the same on either lenses. But instead of helios's $50> average pricing. The Industar is favourably under that ($<35). Hopefully once I do get the lens, I could just screw it in and it should hopefully "picks" up and "merges" with the adaptor which then allows me to dismantle both the adaptor and the lens out without any damage....

Very good idea on using the wrench!! Will try that (gently of course) in the mean time and see if it loosens up...

Happy to be of help, and glad you were able to remove that adapter. Not exactly what one would call an elegant solution but it definitely works. Now just toss that adapter in the garbage and you'll be all set
05-02-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #9

Part of the problem is you either inserted the adapter incorrectly to begin with. The red dot on body and adapter should be lined up to insert. Or you turned the adapter past the locking pin which is at about the 8 o'clock position on the mount. The opening on the adapter at about the 10 o'clock position on your first photo is where the locking pin should go.

But get yourself an original Pentax branded adapter or at least a knock - just be sure to remove the screw and spring clip from the 3rd party adapter. This causes problems but not on the Pentax branded adapters.
05-03-2019, 02:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
never use no name adapters! i got exactly the same you have and it was stuck too. i managed to get it off but scratched surface of camera with tool i used as an aid. you can get a decent one produced by k&f concept for ~25$ if you don't have 50 for the original pentax adapter. k&f works for me very well.
btw - Helios 44-2 is way better than industar, which still is good lens for it's size and iq for that price of course, but it surely lacks the fantastic bokeh at f2 that helios has. however you must be sure that aperture is not oily. helios lenses were produced in 3 factories and all lenses from 2 of them leak that nasty stuff sooner or later. i got one such, will try to open, deconstruct and clean.
Lesson learned...I just made a purchase on K&F Concept as per to your advise. Many thanks .

---------- Post added 05-03-19 at 02:29 AM ----------

Many thanks to all, it seems that the general consensus (and lesson learned) is to never again trust a $2 converter.

Now can't wait until the lens arrived.