Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #1

Places to get film developed in England

Hi everyone,

I just got my first ever film camera, a Pentax K1000, and I couldn't be happier.

I haven't used it yet (don't even know if it works as I've not put a battery in yet), but I'm wondering where on earth can I get my film developed? I live in England, Lancashire to be a little more precise. There are a few camera shops near me but I'm not sure if they actually develop film. I googled it and apparently, Asda develop film?

Does anyone have any experience with using Asda (or another place I could go)?
This is the link to their page about their film developing services:

Disposable Camera Developing | Film Developing | ASDA photo

I'm a complete beginner with film, so I don't know, but by the sounds of it, the 35mm Colour Film option is for colour film only? I couldn't use this if I used black and white film. Is that right? Does anyone know what Aps Film is? If I can only get coloured film developed at Asda, where else could I go that develops all types of film?

Thanks, and I apologise for the lack of knowledge I have!

05-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lrynhiggin Quote
Hi everyone,

I just got my first ever film camera, a Pentax K1000, and I couldn't be happier.

I haven't used it yet (don't even know if it works as I've not put a battery in yet), but I'm wondering where on earth can I get my film developed? I live in England, Lancashire to be a little more precise. There are a few camera shops near me but I'm not sure if they actually develop film. I googled it and apparently, Asda develop film?

Does anyone have any experience with using Asda (or another place I could go)?
This is the link to their page about their film developing services:

Disposable Camera Developing | Film Developing | ASDA photo

I'm a complete beginner with film, so I don't know, but by the sounds of it, the 35mm Colour Film option is for colour film only? I couldn't use this if I used black and white film. Is that right? Does anyone know what Aps Film is? If I can only get coloured film developed at Asda, where else could I go that develops all types of film?

Thanks, and I apologise for the lack of knowledge I have!

For your K1000 you need 35mm film. Either colour or black and white. Looks like that link from ASDA is colour only.

i use these people for prints. They also do colour and b+w developing and printing DS Colour Labs

For b+w developing and printing with the option of a download of your scanned pictures I recommend Harman/Iflord Black and White Film Developing, Scanning, Printing - HARMAN Lab - Home Page

Aps film is a cartridge type of film developed in the 1990's. You cannot use it in your K1000. Just for information interest Aps film (Advanced Photo System) produced a smaller negative than 35mm film, and that size of negative became the standard size for digital sensors. Which is why we refer to that size of sensor today as aps-c
05-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I have used DS colour labs and Peak Imaging. Both are good.
05-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have worked with and also used DS Colour (Manchester) and know of Peak Imaging (Sheffield) and agree both are good.

Max Spielman is also a very well known name in Lanc, Cheshire and Merseyside with local store drop off points. I suspect that not all stores develop and print on site - they used to do this centrally in large premises in Merseyside

35mm Film Processing | Photo Developing UK - Max Spielmann

05-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-1000. It is a nicely built camera, and I have taken a lot of shots with it. It uses 35MM film. Black and white or color film can be used, as long as it is 35MM. The small disk like battery it uses is for the light meter in the camera, and the battery is located in a chamber on the bottom of the camera. You can unscrew the cap of the chamber.
05-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used the Darkroom in the past and was pleased with the service provided.
The Darkroom UK Ltd | Fine Art Printers | Quality Photographs - Digital and film-based photographic printing & products
05-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Larger Boots chemists take film for developing.
Get a copy of Amateur Photographer, there are film processing labs in their adverts.

05-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Jessops and larger Boots stores. I'm not sure if Asda still do film, Metrocentre store used to but then it was sending off to somewhere else. Lots of independent places still do but Google is the way!