Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Super-Takumar 35mm f2 (67mm) focusing trouble

Hello,

Yesterday I received my copy of the Super-Takumar 35mm f2 (67mm) from ebay. Upon first inspection the lens was cosmetically and mechanically in great condition.

Yet it appears that the lens won't focus properly unless I stop it down to f11-f16.

I can achieve reasonably sharp focus to distant subjects by setting the lens to infinity at f16 but anything wider than that will drastically shorten the maximum focusing distance. In fact the lens won't focus on anything past 4 meters at lower apertures.

It also appears that the minimum focusing distance of the lens is affected, I can focus as near as ~30 cm instead of 45cm.

I'm using a Sony Nex5N body with a Kiwifoto M42 to NEX adapter. My other M42 lens (Super -Takumar 55mm F1.8 ) has no such issues: I can pull focus from infinity to minimum at all aperture values without any inconsistencies.

The seller assures me that the lens was in perfect working order when it was shipped and they had tested it on a mirrorless aps-c camera as well as a native m42 mount film camera both with no signs of any such behavior.

Does, by any chance, anyone have a similar experience with this lens/adapter/camera body combo?

PS. It could always be the case that the lens was damaged in transit -the seller mentioned this as well, but the box was in fairly good shape when it arrived and the lens was covered in many layers of heavy duty bubble wrap.

Thanks!

05-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, and welcome to the forums

Given that the lens focuses nearer than it should, but won't reach infinity focus, it might be that there is something stopping it from being screwed fully into the adapter's M42 thread. Does the base of the lens sit completely flat against the adapter when you tighten it up? I would check the threads on the lens' mount and on the adapter to see if there is any damage, poor tooling accuracy, or any debris between the threads that might be preventing proper fitting...
05-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a 45-125 zoom that somehow got its focus out of alignment. It wouldn’t focus farther away than ~12m. It now works a treat.

If it’s not the adapter, you may be able to reset the lens focus.

-Eric
05-25-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have another camera body you could test the lens on, ideally an M42 film camera, to narrow it down to whether the problem is in the lens itself or the adapter?

I've got that version of the 35mm/2.0 with the 67mm filter ring, and it's very sturdily built so I think it's unlikely that the infinity focus setting could have shifted in transit. Perhaps an element could have come loose, but that would be obvious in uneven sharpness across the frame in the shots you've taken at the distances you can focus on.

This lens doesn't follow the standard construction that makes working on other Takumars so easy, so adjusting the infinity focus might not be straightforward. I need to do a bit of work on my own copy too, and it's the only Takumar that I haven't been able to figure out how to disassemble (so far).

As a next step, I think testing the lens on another camera body is essential to narrow the problem down. Either that or just return it.

05-25-2019, 04:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies!

There's actually a very slight gap between the lens and the adapter as shown in the first picture, which isn't there with my Super-Takumar 55 f 1.8 (second picture).

The lens threading seems fine though, the grooves on the adapter thread are clear of any debris and the lens screws in gracefully, without any sign of poor machining.
I am positive that the lens is screwed all the way in, if I push it any harder I might break something.

The third picture was shot at infinity at f/5.6, the remaining two are examples of subjects in focus again at f/5.6. No editing whatsoever. No indication of uneven sharpness when focused, also.

I guess I'll have to try with a different adapter or find a native M42 body to test the lens further.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D750  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D750  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
05-25-2019, 04:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dreipunkt3 Quote
There's actually a very slight gap between the lens and the adapter as shown in the first picture, which isn't there with my Super-Takumar 55 f 1.8 (second picture).

Yes, I think that gap is the problem. I've just checked with the one I own and there's no gap, so a different adapter might be the best way to go. It's worth it, because your two cat photos show really well what a wonderful and unique rendering style this lens has to offer.
05-25-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for taking the time to check with your lens Dave! Many thanks to BigMackCam for urging me to chek the adapter fit thoroughly!

I think it's a great lens too I would be really sad to see it go.

I've ordered a new adapter from K&F Concept, hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks again.