Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #1

ME Super shutter release question

Afternoon from a grey, cold afternoon in Hampshire, UK!!

I have recently come into possession of a old 35mm Pentax ME Super, it was my late father's and he obviously loved the brand as he also had two Pentax DSLR's as well, a K-r and KS-1.

He had the whole caboodle with it - About 5 different lenses, Hoya colour filters, a Hoya 62mm "Variocross" filter??, flash, battery powered winder, etc.

It's a lovely piece of kit which until about 5 mins ago had the mirror stuck upwards so nothing to be seen through the viewfinder. At least I mean stuck as in I could gently pull it down but it always sprung back up. Also the rapid wind lever would only move about 5mm or so.

After reading a few old help pages on this forum, (Google is great!!), I was getting worried it might not be operable without an expensive repair. So I was about to give up and decided to get my phone flashlight on and see if I could see anything awry in the body. I pulled the mirror again and something clicked this time and the mirror stayed down!

The rapid wind lever now works as it should too. So something obviously got caught up inside which now appears to be free.

Now onto my reason for asking the actual question:

Should the shutter button work without the camera having a film in? There are two new batteries in the camera and they are definitely working as I do see the coloured LEDs in the viewfinder.

I'm sure I remember a 35mm I had a long time ago taking a "picture" even if there was no film, the shutter worked fine as long as the wind lever had been operated.

Thanks for any help or advice, appreciated in advance!!

05-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera will fire without film in it. If you want to know if there is film in a camera you turn the rewind knob in the direction of the arrow. If it spins freely there is no film in the camera. As far as something in the camera, does the wind lever move freely a little bit after you cock the camera or does it click back and forth. The spring that makes the wind lever click back into place can break. You then have a one to three millimeter long bit of spring floating inside the camera which can cause problems.
05-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to practice with no film in the camera. The shutter will indeed fire after being cocked, not realizing the absence of film. So don't forget to load film into the camera before shooting! When loading the film, I used to tear off the piece of the film box having the ISO/ASA designation and put it into the little frame on the back of the camera as a reminder.

The ME Super is one beautiful little 35mm SLR camera. Great viewfinder. Wonderful workmanship in its build quality. I shot exclusively with it for around 6 years. I bought 2 bodies new back around 1982.
05-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys, that's basically what I thought.

A quick update, it did actually fire once yesterday, but now refuses to again. After it fired off, the winding lever was actually moving the mirror?

It did that a few times then went back to not doing that. I think whatever that click was that freed the mirror possibly wa something breaking?

Should the lever move the mirror or not?

There's no film in it, I know enough very basic stuff about this style camera to have found that out.

I haven't tried it with the auto winder attached yet. Also, the timer lever on the front doesn't make it fire at the end of the timer either.

Looking forward to your replies.

05-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lever should not move the mirror.
05-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sodamonkey Quote
Thanks guys, that's basically what I thought.

A quick update, it did actually fire once yesterday, but now refuses to again. After it fired off, the winding lever was actually moving the mirror?

It did that a few times then went back to not doing that. I think whatever that click was that freed the mirror possibly wa something breaking?

Should the lever move the mirror or not?

There's no film in it, I know enough very basic stuff about this style camera to have found that out.

I haven't tried it with the auto winder attached yet. Also, the timer lever on the front doesn't make it fire at the end of the timer either.

Looking forward to your replies.
Send it off to a repairer. You could try asking this chap http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/ Or http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/

Get a quote first. it may end up cheaper to buy another camera on ebay !
05-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Send it off to a repairer. You could try asking this chap http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/ Or http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/

Get a quote first. it may end up cheaper to buy another camera on ebay !
Cheers for the links, the guy in Shepperton could be good. I'll see if there's anyone closer to me first, but definitely worth thinking about.

05-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers for the links, the guy in Shepperton could be good. I'll see if there's anyone closer to me first, but definitely worth thinking about.
I have used Alan in Shepperton numerous times. He is very good. The only problem is if he cannot access spares. All too common an issue given the age of the camera.
05-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
I have used Alan in Shepperton numerous times. He is very good. The only problem is if he cannot access spares. All too common an issue given the age of the camera.
Oh, his website states he holds spares and actually for ME Super.

05-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, his website states he holds spares and actually for ME Super.
You will probably end up with an old part from mine from 15 years ago
05-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
You will probably end up with an old part from mine from 15 years ago
Lol!

I need to get a quote really, as that will make me decide if it's worth keeping or not.

05-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to get a quote really, as that will make me decide if it's worth keeping or not.
For sure. But keep it anyway,even if you end up buying another working model to use so you have a donor copy for spares.

Alan is a top man. if he cannot repair it he will be honest with you.