Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

K-7 using smartphone as monitor

Hi guys
I,m trying to find a way to use my Samsung S7 smartphone as a monitor on my Pentax K-7.
I have my camera connected to the phone with an OTG connector and the USB cable that came with the camera, but I can't find an App that will connect them together, or will I have to buy a Field monitor to do this?
Thanks

05-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're best off with a field monitor. There are a few devices out there that can capture HDMI and forward the output to a phone app, but IMO that's too much of a hassle.

Note that newer Pentax bodies solve this problem with built-in wi-fi, which is super convenient.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think you're best off with a field monitor. There are a few devices out there that can capture HDMI and forward the output to a phone app, but IMO that's too much of a hassle.

Note that newer Pentax bodies solve this problem with built-in wi-fi, which is super convenient.
I agree with Adam. I used a small field monitor with my K20D, but it’s lain dormant ever since.
06-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I think you're right, a field monitor it is. I'll see if there are any for auction on eBay.

06-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

While a field monitor is great tool, good for K-7 and many other uses, it may not be the cheapest or most portable option.

Another option is one of the many HDMI to wireless options out there that do screen mirroring, which your smartphone may be able to connect to via WiFi.

A Google Chromecast dongle will probably work, and it is cheap and portable. There are many other possible options too:

Best Miracast Dongle 2019 - Wireless Screen-Mirroring Devices for TVs

The Best Wireless HDMI Video Transmitter: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of the above devices.