Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K1 Lens loses connection pointing down or up??

Hello,

I'm not sure how to describe this or where this goes...

But a couple of days ago I was shooting a Lacrosse game with a Sigma 70-200 lens on my Pentax K-1 and a different lens on my K-3, when it began to rain (not the hardest rain/downpour, but it was pretty steady). Since that time, my K-1 now loses contact with any lens that is attached (F-stop flashes), but it rarely happens. It seems to happen only when pointing directly down or up... and as the camera is moved from one position to the other. As long as its not at the up/down configuration, the camera operates like normal (or as far as I can tell, able to set all 3 settings and IQ seems fine). It rarely happens to the point where it interferes with anything, but enough to notice or be annoyed. Also, when I go to different or shorter focal lengths, it also returns to normal. Meanwhile my K-3 (which also had a SIGMA lens for some time) is perfectly fine. I originally thought it was the lens, but then realized that it happens with every lens that is attached.

It's strange because even caught in any weather, I've never had any issue with a Pentax-anything making it through. Normally I tell everything that Pentax is the definition of durability. I was just wondering what you think the cause might be? (I was thinking maybe a stabilization thing...) and then if there is a remedy or what it might take to fix?

Feel free to ask any questions, as I realize that this description may not be the best.

05-30-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe that the Sigma is a weather sealed lens so it's very possible some water got into your K-1. Try to dry it out and hope for the best. I knocked a non WR Sony a6000 into some water, dried it out a couple of days with a lens off and pointing down. It came back to life and has worked fine since (at least a year ago).
05-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flashing 'F' is almost always an indication that the camera has lost contact with the lens. This can be caused a number of things. As noted above the Sigma lens is likely not weather sealed so even though the camera is tough it is possible for water to enter around the lens connection on an unsealed lens. First try buffing the contacts with a soft microfiber cloth. Its possible they tarnished because of the wet weather. If that doesn't help take a good look at the contacts on the camera and see if they are all lined up correctly. Then check the mount screws and see if they are all tight.
If none of that works then drying out the camera may be your only option.
05-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
It seems to happen only when pointing directly down or up...
Had the same issue in rain with the DFA150-450 attached.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Flashing 'F' is almost always an indication that the camera has lost contact with the lens
The camera also indicated F when there is a short in the mount, not able to achieve proper communication.

Drying cleaning both lens mount and camera mount with a cloth/microfiber usually helps.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-30-2019 at 10:14 PM.
05-31-2019, 02:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tighten the screws in the mount and clean it
05-31-2019, 06:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a used Tamron 28-300mm beater lens that when I got it would sometimes lose connection to the camera. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on a micro fiber cloth and gave the contacts on the camera and lens a good wiping down a few times and haven't had the problem since. I would always wipe the same direction since the contacts are those ball bearings so by wiping the same direction eventually you will clean all sides of them. I kept wiping until it I didn't get any more dirt on the cloth and then did a couple more to ensure that it was clean. All told it probably only took like 5 minutes and I haven't had a problem since.
06-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for feedback... Just to update. I did get some Electrical Contact cleaner (WD-40 brand) and cleaned up the mount, using a microfiber. I'm not sure if it this way with other cameras (maybe it has always been and I'm just now noticing) but only one of the pins has a gold color to it?? There was a fare amount of build up, and it's pretty much back to how I remember now.

Thanks!

06-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure if it this way with other cameras (maybe it has always been and I'm just now noticing) but only one of the pins has a gold color to it??
I don't know and I don't have my camera next to me but I can check with my K2000 and K-3 when I get home.

There was a fare amount of build up
Did you just clean the mount on the camera or the mount on the camera and lens? When I did it I cleaned both and still haven't had issues.
06-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

I'm not sure how to describe this or where this goes...

But a couple of days ago I was shooting a Lacrosse game with a Sigma 70-200 lens on my Pentax K-1 and a different lens on my K-3, when it began to rain (not the hardest rain/downpour, but it was pretty steady). Since that time, my K-1 now loses contact with any lens that is attached (F-stop flashes), but it rarely happens. It seems to happen only when pointing directly down or up... and as the camera is moved from one position to the other. As long as its not at the up/down configuration, the camera operates like normal (or as far as I can tell, able to set all 3 settings and IQ seems fine). It rarely happens to the point where it interferes with anything, but enough to notice or be annoyed. Also, when I go to different or shorter focal lengths, it also returns to normal. Meanwhile my K-3 (which also had a SIGMA lens for some time) is perfectly fine. I originally thought it was the lens, but then realized that it happens with every lens that is attached.

It's strange because even caught in any weather, I've never had any issue with a Pentax-anything making it through. Normally I tell everything that Pentax is the definition of durability. I was just wondering what you think the cause might be? (I was thinking maybe a stabilization thing...) and then if there is a remedy or what it might take to fix?

Feel free to ask any questions, as I realize that this description may not be the best.
A few things to point out

As others have said, it might be the camera or lens is wet , even after the fact.

BUT, I dropped my K1 with a sigma 70_200 plus 2x teleconverter and it lost all aperture contact. Before this incident, the lens and tc combo had been a little intermittent on all my bodies , but the bit drop, hitting the lens hood first finished it.

In the end I discovered the lens mount on the teleconverter had bent enough to lose contact, I suspect it had been slightly deformed over the 15 years I have had the combo. Luckily a replacement tc fixed all of it.

So check closely your lens mount, it may have been an issue growing for a while.

I noted a suggestion to check the mount screws for tightness, I think it might be on the right track
06-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have now used the electrical contact on all lens contacts as well as the bodies. I did look over my both of the mounts on my K-1 and K-3, and did recognize that one of the pins is a bronze color (I'm referring to the pin that is furthest to the bottom (next to screw). Now both cameras were rained on but only one of them (K-1) experienced the connection issue, and though both were soaked on the same day, it happened at different locations (they scheduled Senior Nights on the same night, so one of my students who didn't really have much experience with any kind of camera had to take pictures using the 70-200... link to his pictures is below and kudos to him as he did such a good job: 100% of pictures taken by him on K-1 edited by me). So because both cameras were soaked similarly maybe it is a coincidence... but I doubt it. [Runs and checks his film ZX-7] Yep, it has it too! Wonder why the pin is different?

Like I said. above, it did fix my problem, so thanks again for the feedback!

Boys Lacrosse (6mins):