Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 05:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-3 and Deported pentax flashes in HSS possible?

Hello dear Pentaxians,

I have a K-3 and got a cheap AF-360FGZ (Mark1) that work perfectly well.

Tested these 2 modes:

1. K-3 + Directly mounted flash on shoe, HSS is working.
2. K-3 + Integrated Flash + deported 360 (as Slave), only synchro max to 1/180 is possible.

Is there a way to (without buying some extra stuff):

A. Deactivate the integrated flash on the K-3 to let only the deported 360FGZ to work ?
(seems possible with K-5 but not with the K-3 / I checked the menu: on K-5 there is a line in cfg menu that says: '21. Flash in wireless Mode' that do not exists on the K-3).

B. Deactivate the integrated flash on the K-3 to let only the deported 360FGZ to work in HSS mode ?

By deactivate, I mean: 'do not fire'.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

J.

06-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Hello dear Pentaxians,

I have a K-3 and got a cheap AF-360FGZ (Mark1) that work perfectly well.

Tested these 2 modes:

1. K-3 + Directly mounted flash on shoe, HSS is working.
2. K-3 + Integrated Flash + deported 360 (as Slave), only synchro max to 1/180 is possible.

Is there a way to (without buying some extra stuff):

A. Deactivate the integrated flash on the K-3 to let only the deported 360FGZ to work ?
(seems possible with K-5 but not with the K-3 / I checked the menu: on K-5 there is a line in cfg menu that says: '21. Flash in wireless Mode' that do not exists on the K-3).

B. Deactivate the integrated flash on the K-3 to let only the deported 360FGZ to work in HSS mode ?

By deactivate, I mean: 'do not fire'.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

J.
Set the built in flash to "controller" not "master" and it will not contribute to the flash output. Whether that works in HSS mode I do not know.

HSS is a P-TTL mode. So your off-camera AF360 will have to be in wireless P-TTL mode.
06-02-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The integrated flash doesn't support HSS. So, the fastest shutter speed you can get with it is sync speed.

To use the 360 deported in HSS, you will need some extra stuff. The cheapest being a good old P-TTL cable. You can also get another flash supporting wireless HSS as a controller, or a HSS compatible radio trigger kit.
06-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK the only body that lets the internal flash work as a master if the *istD,

Note also that the *istD and some others also supported TTL andP-TTL making the *istD the best flash system DSLR. That Pentax made

06-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
AFAIK the only body that lets the internal flash work as a master if the *istD,
My K-3 supports master/controller as has every flagship model with built-flash since the K20D. Several other lower model bodies (e.g. K-30, K-50) also have this feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The integrated flash doesn't support HSS. So, the fastest shutter speed you can get with it is sync speed.
Yes, a physical connection with the body is required for HSS and unless the master passes it along, the slave can't do it either. The available solutions remain a P-TTL cable or two external HSS flash.

Steve
06-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank to all of you.

For what you said, it seems that I will have to find a cable or a remote device or another flash (P-TTL with HSS) to put it on the K-3.

Strange that the menu on the K-3 can not let the integrated flash not to be fired while in control mode.

Thanks again.

J.
06-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange that the menu on the K-3 can not let the integrated flash not to be fired while in control mode.
I don't have the K3, but have looked in the manual and it does support that feature. Why do you think it does not ?

06-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It can act as wireless controller (does not contribute) or wireless master (does contribute), but cannot do either above 1/180s. See table on page 41 in the K-3 manual (English).

Steve
06-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I don't have the K3, but have looked in the manual and it does support that feature. Why do you think it does not ?
Because I tried
06-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Because I tried
I did both wireless master and controller with the onboard flash to a P-TTL slave just a few minutes ago. There was no wireless HSS, however, but that is discussed above. If you are unable to do wireless P-TTL from the onboard flash, the most likely cause is a problem with the slave. Configuration can be a challenge and if the slave is non-Pentax, some are known for not working with other than their brand.

Steve
06-03-2019, 04:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the K3 the menu item for controller and master was moved. It is actually selected through the actual flash mode by using the d pad.
06-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

To my knowledge to use your existing af 360 fgz flash for HSS the addition of the Cactus V6ll wireless would allow you to achieve that.
06-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Again, thank you to all of you.
I will wait a while to either acquire one of those cactus or find a second hand 360 or (wish I will find) a 540.
Kind regards.
J.
06-04-2019, 06:29 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Again, thank you to all of you.
I will wait a while to either acquire one of those cactus or find a second hand 360 or (wish I will find) a 540.
Kind regards.
J.
If your main goal is to use HSS, I would higly recommend the radio trigger or a cable over a two flashes optical trigerring. Because, usually, HSS is needed when there's a lot of ambient light, often outside in daylight. The problem being with this high level of ambient light tends to blind the optical trigerring making the whole sytem unreliable, HSS or not. If the deported flash sees even a hint of direct sunlight, there's a good chance it will not trigger at all.
06-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
If your main goal is to use HSS, I would higly recommend the radio trigger or a cable over a two flashes optical trigerring. Because, usually, HSS is needed when there's a lot of ambient light, often outside in daylight. The problem being with this high level of ambient light tends to blind the optical trigerring making the whole sytem unreliable, HSS or not. If the deported flash sees even a hint of direct sunlight, there's a good chance it will not trigger at all.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said:radio triggers is the way to go.