Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Pentax LX Winder Battery Tray Issue

I bought a LX Winder and discovered the battery tray does not stay locked in place, allowing the connection to fail. I see the maze on the battery tray for locking is worn where the latch holds the tray secure. Any suggestions to fill in this tip to keep the tray locked in the winder?

Attached Images

06-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe just some black electrical tape on the other end to hold the slide in, perhaps with an elastic band around the whole unit.
It wouldn't be pretty but it might keep it closed for you.
If it doesn't work you won't have spent much.
06-05-2019, 02:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm not opposed to tape and rubber bands, but I'm not there yet. I'm hoping to find a material that will bond to the plastic so I can patch the broken tip. I did order some SUGRU but I have my doubts about it lasting. I'm thinking I'll fill that end of the lock channel and then dremel out the SUGRU making a new channel. If that doesn't work, maybe an epoxy.
06-05-2019, 04:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The plastic used for camera equipment is remarkably resistant to adhesives. Tried all sorts on strobe units while trying to add some sort of latch to keep a battery door closed, but most glues quickly failed to hold on those black housings. Resin/hardener Epoxy of some kinds will bind, but it's miserably messy stuff for fine work.

06-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

I had to check on my winder as I couldn't really remember the dimensions of the part.
When I used to build models, many years ago, I often used some kind of epoxy putty. Don't recall the brand, but searching online I've found the Milliput, a two part epoxy putty, that comes also in black.
I don't know if this is what I used back then, but I'd give it a try. It should be strong enough to keep the tray in place (I'd add a thin but strong slice of metal, just in case...), of course you have to model it as close as possible to the original shape (on the part itself).
06-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Either a 2 part epoxy mixed and applied carefully or Bondic if you can get it.
Not a Glue
06-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A new winder can be had for about £40 / $50 - get one and see if you can get someone to 3D model/print one ;-)
06-06-2019, 03:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Éire69 Quote
I had to check on my winder as I couldn't really remember the dimensions of the part.
When I used to build models, many years ago, I often used some kind of epoxy putty. Don't recall the brand, but searching online I've found the Milliput, a two part epoxy putty, that comes also in black.
I don't know if this is what I used back then, but I'd give it a try. It should be strong enough to keep the tray in place (I'd add a thin but strong slice of metal, just in case...), of course you have to model it as close as possible to the original shape (on the part itself).
The thin metal part is an excellent idea!