Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Cleaning K-50

What do you all recommend as the best cleaning kit? I have dust specks on my mirrors (Pentax k-50) they are driving me insane. Is it better to have it professionally cleaned or do the kits do the job?

Thanks!

06-08-2019, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

By no means an expert (on anything), but if the dust is only on the mirror, just live with it, it'll not affect image quality. The sensor, on the other hand is a different matter - I once used a cleaning kit on mine, then had to pay for it to be professionally cleaned as well. In future, I'll let the experts do it.
06-08-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Dust on the mirror is highly unlikely to be visible through the viewfinder, and won't affect your photos either. Dust on, or behind, the focusing screen might be visible through the viewfinder. Dust on the sensor will appear on images, depending on the aperture setting you use.

When are you noticing dust? Let us know, and we'll be able to help
06-08-2019, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many times, people think dust on the focusing screen is on the mirror. Dust on the focusing screen and the mirror doesn't affect pictures, just as BigMackCam says. It is just annoying. You can't see dust on the sensor by looking through the viewfinder.

06-08-2019, 11:07 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend starting with a rocket blower. If there's just dust on the focusing screen, this would be a quick, easy, and safe way to get rid of it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the help. I can see the dust specks on my pictures. It is at the top of the photo. I took this picture of the sky. I tried the dust removal option of the camera, but it has not helped at all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-09-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mrs340 Quote
Thank you all for the help. I can see the dust specks on my pictures. It is at the top of the photo. I took this picture of the sky. I tried the dust removal option of the camera, but it has not helped at all.
It looks like there's a good amount of dust on the sensor. You can start by using a rocket blower (while in sensor cleaning mode), but if this doesn't help, a professional cleaning might be the way to go.

You can also do the cleaning yourself if you have a cleaning kit, but many people prefer not to do this on their own.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2019, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a guide on how to do a full cleaning on your own:

Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam

06-10-2019, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And after you get it clean, set the up the options to clean dust for on at start up and for shut off, on your camera, you'll have less dust this way, and changing lenses, hold the camera opening down towards the ground while installing the lens will help keep dust from getting into the camera, too.

I have my K-50 set to clean dust set up at start up and shut down. I've not seen any dust so far.
06-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all so much! I think I have decided to have it professionally cleaned.
06-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It wouldn't hurt to try a blower before getting it professionally cleaned. It's not too hard to do and I've had good success with one using one on a K30. My K-3 on the other hand, never gets dust on the sensor so I think its dust removal system works much better.