Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2019, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, because I did not store some lenses properly during a hiatus from photography I had to toss a few including a Tamron 300mm f2.8.

Good luck with the MX-1. I got one when they were not popular for $220 off Amazon. I do not use it a lot, but I really like it. Very happy with it. Let us know how it all works out.

06-09-2019, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, because I did not store some lenses properly during a hiatus from photography I had to toss a few including a Tamron 300mm f2.8.
How exactly did you store them and what happened to them?
06-09-2019, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
How exactly did you store them and what happened to them?
Just let them sit in a dark closet for several years. I sent the Tamron out to a place in Colorado for cleaning but they simply could not get the front lens retaining ring to loosen up. They had the lens for several months trying different things to get it to move. All without success. They would not try brute force even though I gave them permission to do so. When I got the lens back I tried a more aggressive tactic but only succeeded in chipping the front element. Just too much mold in it to use it. I did save all the accessories just in case I come across another one for a decent price.

When I retired my wife got me a Sigma 300mm f2.8 lens as a replacement. It works great, but it is a beast compared to the Tamron. I told her that I would settle for a used Tamron but she would hear none of that.
06-09-2019, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

OP, i am sorry to hear that.
sending good vibes your way

06-09-2019, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5. Never set your camera on a table or counter with the neck strap hanging over the edge. (Especially if you have cats in the house.)
06-09-2019, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
5. Never set your camera on a table or counter with the neck strap hanging over the edge. (Especially if you have cats in the house.)
I do like that one. I always make sure the camera strap is not hanging down; and, yes, I do have cats in the house.
06-09-2019, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't see Dust-Off or other canned air products on your list (i.e. on BigMacCam's). Funny thing...they are not on mine either.

Such products are among the photo accessories I wouldn't even contemplate touching with a barge pole. I use an alternative-brand rocket/power blower instead.

Hope the OP was able to rescue his camera without damage.

As for stupid things humans do, I could contribute quite a number to that list but have chosen not to -- to spare myself the embarrassment since, boy, some of them were really stupid.
06-10-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes me think of putting the handle for the anchor windless down on deck thinking the toe rail was sufficient to keep it on board. Yep, just gotta keep rolling. If this is your learning moment, you did well.

06-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #24
Unregistered User

Wow!!!

If that's the dumbest thing you've ever done, you've been living a charmed life (and are probably too young to have made any real bone-headed blunders yet).

I'm not even willing to reveal the dumbest things (note the plural) I've ever done. Too stupid for words. I'm surprised and grateful to the Spirit of the Universe (or whatever you call it) that I and others around me never died from my idiocy.
06-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it appears that there's no immediate damage to the lens and nothing pops out in these two OOC JPEG images that would indicate any damage to the sensor. Hopefully the camera's overall lifespan wasn't shortened (not that mine is particularly long at this point). Time will tell. At the moment, though, I feel like I dodged a bullet.

---------- Post added 06-10-19 at 19:01 ----------

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 06-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.
06-10-2019, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Well, it appears that there's no immediate damage to the lens and nothing pops out in these two OOC JPEG images that would indicate any damage to the sensor. Hopefully the camera's overall lifespan wasn't shortened (not that mine is particularly long at this point). Time will tell. At the moment, though, I feel like I dodged a bullet.
Good to hear!

Now watch out for other mix-ups like Veet and shampoo, salt and sugar etc.
06-10-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good to hear!

Now watch out for other mix-ups like Veet and shampoo, salt and sugar etc.
Had to look up "Veet". Yikes! It might be getting grayer and grayer every month but it's all still there.

---------- Post added 06-10-19 at 19:26 ----------

That sucks. You wife, however, is awesome.

---------- Post added 06-10-19 at 19:26 ----------

Good luck with the MX-1. I got one when they were not popular for $220 off Amazon. I do not use it a lot, but I really like it. Very happy with it. Let us know how it all works out.
I got mine on sale for $250.00 and it's turned out to be good money well spent. If I remember correctly, it didn't sell well and was discontinued after about a year. Thing is, the MX-1 was reviewed relatively well. I think it failed because it was a "photographer's camera" marketed during a time when compact cameras were trying to be everything to all people. It's video performance didn't stand up to other choices in the "compact camera" marketplace of the time and video was a hot feature at the time. I think it also hit the MP sweet spot for the 1/1.7" sized sensor. Finally, I think the MX-1 shares a sensor with the Q7 so it's sort of an adjunct of my Q System; no small thing in my world.

Over the past couple of days, thinking I might have to replace it, I did a little research. DPREVIEW has a wonderful comparison widget and I spent a lot of time availing myself of it to determine what might be a suitable replacement. My conclusion is that there isn't one.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 06-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.
06-11-2019, 04:58 AM - 4 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
- to remove surface dust, use a good quality, silicone rubber bulb blower... I recommend the Giottos Rocket
Correct. These cost a few dollars and are extremely useful.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
- for stubborn dust or particles, use a soft-bristled make-up brush to gently flick them away, followed by the bulb-blower (always store the brush in a clean cover or bag)
Also called a lensPEN.

I am an optical designer, and canned air is banned from our factory. It doesn't just spray air, but also by-products. Just turn the can upside down and spray, you'll see a lot of it going out. Even when the can is upright, some will get out.