Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Headphone Terminal K-3 and K-70

I purchased a Vello Freeware Wireless Remote after reading that the remote supported K-5, K-5 II, K-50, and K-500. But when I got it home and tried it on my k-3 and K-70 the plug was to narrow for my cameras. Is there a difference in the terminal jack size for my cameras and the K-5 etc?

I would have thought that something like that would be standardized across all modern Pentax cameras. If they are different, does anybody know where I can get an adapter?

06-11-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #2

The K-3 should have a 2.5mm and 2 3.5mm jacks for the remote, microphone and headphone, respectively. The K-70 has one 3.5mm jack for both the remote and stereo microphone.

If the remote you purchased works with the K-5, K-50 etc. then you need a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male stereo adapter to use this remote on the k-70.

You can find these adapters on Amazon or eBay or at an electronics parts store.
06-11-2019, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Proudmale Quote
I would have thought that something like that would be standardized across all modern Pentax cameras. If they are different, does anybody know where I can get an adapter?
With two exceptions, Pentax has standardized.

Your K-3 shares the same cable remote specification as all other Pentax dSLRs that came before it; that being a 2.5mm, 3-conductor (two band, TRS) phone jack. If the Vello does not fit your K-3, it is probably a question of clearance that is likely a problem with the other models as well. The K-70 and KP (the two exceptions) use the same simple protocol as the K-3, but combine the microphone and wired remote port using a 3.5mm, 4-conductor (three band, TRRS) jack. There are several threads regarding options other than the Pentax-brand cable. The gist of the solution is to use a 3.5mm --> 2.5mm adapter. The best thread I am aware of is this one where the conductor mappings are diagrammed out and where adapter options are explored.

About the wired remote control. - PentaxForums.com

Steve
06-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the Help

Dear Not a Number and Stevebrot,

Thank you for putting me onto the other thread. I searched under headphone terminal differences and the search came back empty. I recognize that all the "issues" my wife and I are "discovering" are almost certainly well discussed on prior threads. The trick is to gain enough knowledge to ask the right questions.

I went through with her the port by port parts of her K-70 camera, and then thinking that they would have likely been standardized skipped over the headphone terminal on my K-3. Then when the new remote arrived I thought I already knew where it belonged on both cameras. This taught me that the differences between the 2 far exceed the enhanced photo set up options that my K-3 gives me.

Thanks again for helping me out.

06-16-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm confused here - why does a wireless remote have or need a plug ? Is it not the same as an Infra-red remote, or is my woeful lack of knowledge of all things electronic showing again ?
06-16-2019, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I'm confused here - why does a wireless remote have or need a plug ? Is it not the same as an Infra-red remote, or is my woeful lack of knowledge of all things electronic showing again ?
It is a wireless dongle device that plugs into the cable remote fitting, but is radio fired. At least, that is how I interpreted the OP.

Steve
06-16-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Dongle Device is Right.

Correct, it is a plug in Dongle Device that also activates remote flash units.