Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2019, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #1

Light meter indicator

I own a Pentax K-S2. I'm trying to understand exposure so I am reading a book about exposure. The author is explaining shooting in manual mode and one of the steps is to ... adjust your shutter speed until the camera's light meter indicates a "correct" exposure in your viewfinder ... I've tried using the User Manual for the K-S2 and I can't find anything that talks about a correct exposure in the viewfinder. Does this indicator exist in the K-S2? If it does where is it?

06-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by retpgmr Quote
Does this indicator exist in the K-S2? If it does where is it?
Indeed it does. You can see it at the position marked with #9 in this image: (embedded form this site: Pentax K-S2 Review - User Interface | PentaxForums.com Reviews )
The middle of it would mark a "correct" exposure. What "correct" means depends on other settings, such as the metering mode (matrix, spot, center-weighted) and the value of the exposure compensation that you can use to shift this to your liking.

Note that you could also set the scale to show the level at which the camera is tilted: "Via the third tab of the record menu, the horizontal axis of the electronic level can also be shown in the viewfinder in place of the EV scale (9)."
06-12-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good for you for going beyond the auto programs and setting the exposure yourself in Manual mode.

I always say you will learn more about "exposure" in an afternoon in your back garden in manual mode, than in a year in any auto program.. The learning is the key. From then you can use the auto programs like Av or Tv or TAv with confidence.
06-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you are in live view you will also see the set of bars for the exposure on your lcd screen (back of camera screen). When I shoot in Manual mode using my K-3 II I use live view sometimes to view scenes and the exposure bar. You will have complete control over exposure in manual mode (shutter speed, aperture (F stop), and ISO). In something like TAV mode you would have control over the shutter speed and F stop (aperture), while the camera would decide the ISO setting by itself for an exposure. TAV is defined as an auto type mode, being that it automatically decides the ISO per the other settings (shutter speed and F stop) the user makes.

06-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I use several camera models depending on my needs- the KP, K-5 or K-5 IIs, or the K-S2. In the case of the K-S2, the light meter reading result in Manual Mode is shown numerically in the VF on the right side. In the Custom menus, C-1: EV steps I have set at default 1 which is 1/3 EV (Exposure Value) steps, while in C-2 I have it set to 2, which is having ISO adjustment increments set the same as the EV steps- 1/3 EV.

So the numbers given in your VF are for + or - exposure in 1/3 EV steps as well as a whole figure when that is reached. You will notice that the whole figures when adjusting your aperture will increase or decrease by the next whole figure but a + or a - as you double or cut your shutter speed in half compared to the 0.0 "correct" exposure. This is what a whole "stop" means in terms of your aperture setting, and the exposure. The aperture also changes the depth of field (DOF) that is how much of the other objects within your frame will be sharp compared to that which is exactly focused on.

There is a lot if info given in the VF, and it is important to be very familiar with all of it. Both the aperture and the shutter speed in the VF are underlined, meaning they are manually set to that value.

Simultaneously, with no need to switch to live view, your rear screen will indicate over or under exposure via a professional style graph while in the Manual Mode.

Exclusively with Pentax is the Pentax Hyper System. In Manual Mode, you can activate Hyper Manual simply by using the green button, which will then set both aperture and shutter speed to a centered meter-read exposure instantly without your having to twirl the front and rear dials separately. Then if you determine you need a different aperture or shutter speed, first hit the AE-L button (which I have set to AE-L that is exposure lock use in menu- 4th row over shown as button customization- just as the button is labeled AE-L) then after hitting that button as you select your preference with either the front dial or the rear thumb dial, the other will follow along to preserve your correct center-metered exposure.

This system is especially great for very fast and efficient spot metering around a scene to bias exposure for a particular part of that scene, or get an overall average. Using your metering thus set on spot metering is a very precise way of learning the all important aspects of how light and metering affect your choices in photography. But be sure to set everything mack to normal when you switch back to overall quick grab-shot usage with the "P" mode or one of the other auto-exposure modes, but avoid the green auto mode because this makes many controls and adjustments unavailable..

However, if there is tricky lighting in a scene while you are shooting in one of these AE modes, you can still make use of the spot meter and the AE-L button temporarily for just a shot or two, then swing your camera around to the composition you are after. The type of metering can quickly be accessed and adjusted via the info button and switched using your rear thumb dial, from the standard multi-segment to spot metering. Then you can take light meter readings off of a very small area in the center of your frame, and train it on whatever you wish.

While you are at it, using your info button again, go to the first section, which is the Custom Image menus, and access this by hitting the ok button to make adjustment at least in the default "Bright" category, implementing "Fine Sharpening" using your rear thumb dial. This will provide better detail in your images out of the camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-12-2019 at 04:39 PM.