Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #1

Pentax ME stuck shutter HELP PLEASE

I have purchased a used Pentax ME. When I got it home the shutter worked a couple of times (with no film in the camera) then the shutter stuck closed.
I've attempted to gently move the plastic shutter from bothe sides with the lens off but no joy.
The little shutter release button lever, inside the camera body moves and the shutter opens then when I release the spring loaded lever the shutter closes. When I put the lens back on the shutter stays closed.
The lever to advance the film feels like it's not attached to anything.
The button to take a picture doesn't work.
I have tried using the 'Auto setting and the 100X setting.
It's not set to the 'lock' setting.
Any help is gratefully accepted.

06-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried setting it to 125X ?
06-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
The setting on my ME are: L (for lock)
Auto
100X
and 'B'.
No 125 setting.
06-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Puffin Quote
The lever to advance the film feels like it's not attached to anything.
With no film in the camera it will have very little resistance.

I own an ME Super I bought new in the '70s. It's shutter no longer fires also. As I understand it, there is foam on the back of the mirror that was intended as a light seal. Over time this foam deteriorates and turns into goo. That prevents the mirror from flipping up, which prevents the shutter from firing. With the lens off, you may try to gently move the mirror with a toothpick or some such thing. That may confirm that you are a victim of 'sticky mirror'.

I never bothered to get mine serviced, but I just can't bring myself to throw this very nice camera away. I only shot maybe six rolls of film with it, and it's in mint condition. Maybe someone in the Marketplace would be interested in it for parts/repair?

06-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
As I understand it, there is foam on the back of the mirror that was intended as a light seal.
That would be my guess as to what happened to the OP's ME.

Phil.

---------- Post added 14-06-19 at 11:33 ----------

Any help is gratefully accepted.
Welcome to the forum!

Probably the mirror foam, I would suggest getting it CLAed.

Phil.
06-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ME has an electronic shutter, it won’t work without batteries.
Check the batteries.
06-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The setting on my ME are: L (for lock)
Auto
100X
and 'B'.
No 125 setting.
Try 100x. That should be a completely mechanical shutter, working even if you have bad batteries or some other electrical problem. B is also mechanical. That might allow you to decide if it's related to foam seals or something else.

The ME Super has a 125x setting which does the same thing, so the suggestion was on the right track, just wrong model.