Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

How to connect to pc

Hello I've recently bought an old Pentax IST D's it seems to work fine but when I plug the USB lead into the camera and pc and turn on the camera the pc doesn't see the camera. Any advice please would be great

06-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #2

Without downloading the user manual I would say try going into the setup menu and try changing the transfer mode settings.

You can download the user manual here (see discontinued models):
Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
06-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this:

[Set-up] -> down to second page -> [Transfer Mode] -> [PC]
06-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If none of those suggestions work, try a usb card reader (SD reader for *ist DS, CF reader for *ist D).

06-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very I'll try tonight
06-18-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I recommend that you forget you ever heard of the USB connection between your camera and your computer.

I say this because the USB connector in the camera is mounted to the motherboard of the camera. Unfortunately, in most Pentax models, the only thing that physically secures the connector to the mobo are the solder joints to the copper trace lines on the phenolic plastic mobo base. This is a very (VERY) weak physical connection.

The least little bit of lateral force when connecting/disconnecting the USB cable can easily tear those very thin copper traces. The only practical repair is to replace the motherboard, which is very, very expensive, especially for an older camera.

Just remove the SD card from the camera and put it in the computer's SD card slot. It probably has a faster transfer rate, as well.
06-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If your computer has no SD card slot, get a card reader- they are inexpensive, and they work very well. They are also relatively small and portable, so you can take it about and also download photos taken with them onto a friend's computer as well as your own. They would then be full size files with full quality, unlike those sent via e-mail.
06-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
...Just remove the SD card from the camera and put it in the computer's SD card slot. It probably has a faster transfer rate, as well.
You get to take advantage of recent technology improvements that way.

The DS has such small files compared to current cameras, they seemingly transfer at light speed.

06-19-2019, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
I've ordered a card reader and ditched the usb lead. Looking forward to see the pictures and how they compare to the finepix
06-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott pascall Quote
I've ordered a card reader and ditched the usb lead. Looking forward to see the pictures and how they compare to the finepix
The Fuji Finepix, depending on the age and model, can deliver good, sharp images. But the sensor size is rather small, and not capable of quality imaging at higher ISO settings than 200 or 400. With the DSLR, you can also mount various lenses, some of which are of superior performance including low light capability. For example, a good used pentax F or FA 50mm f/1.7 or a new DA 50mm f/1.8 will be great for taking portrait photos as well as fine low light scenes.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-19-2019 at 10:30 PM.