Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interval Shutter / Images - Always Short-Changed

Hello all!

I've noted some strangeness on the settings on my K-3. When I set an interval of any sort, the camera always indicates that it is finished after 3-4 shutter releases. I cannot tell whether I am doing something wrong, or there's some issue with the camera.

So, tonight, I was trying to take some pictures of fireflies. I set it to an interval composite - "Bright" composite, 50 shots, 2s between shots. I set the shutter to 10 seconds, ISO to 6400, and f/2.8. After three shutter releases, it indicated that it had finished. It does this each time I do it.

I am wondering if it is related to the issue where my camera loses all time / date settings when I change the battery (even if it's less than 2-3s between batteries). I know there's a capacitor or internal battery that is supposed to store the info.

It is a K-3 with the latest updates to firmware (and re-flashed, for good measure). I was using a Sigma 18-75 lens, but it happens with any other lens, as well.

Thoughts? Thank you!

06-26-2019, 07:49 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Your interval should be 12s (2s gap + your shutter speed) to get the desired number of shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2019, 08:05 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Expanding on the already correct answer above, the interval setting can be confusing. Set it to the time between the start of photos, not the gap between photos. Your original setting of a 2s interval and 10s shutter kept trying to start new photos while the shutter was already open from the prior photo.
06-26-2019, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Your interval should be 12s (2s gap + your shutter speed) to get the desired number of shots.
OH! Now THAT makes sense.

---------- Post added 06-26-19 at 08:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Expanding on the already correct answer above, the interval setting can be confusing. Set it to the time between the start of photos, not the gap between photos. Your original setting of a 2s interval and 10s shutter kept trying to start new photos while the shutter was already open from the prior photo.
Thanks to you and Adam. I understand now. I didn't quite get it even looking in the manual until you two explained.

So, if I wanted 50 images, with a 10s shutter, I would set the intervals to 10s (for the shutter), plus Xs between images - like 10s + 5s = 15s intervals.

06-26-2019, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have had this exact same problem while trying to take long exposure interval shots of the night sky. So i went back to the manual.
I cant speak for the K3 as I have a KP, in the manual page 71 it states the following..

[Interval]. If the exposure time is longer than the time set in [Interval], some of the pictures that are supposed to be taken at the set intervals are not actually taken. For example, if the time set in [Interval] is 2 seconds and the exposure time is 3 seconds, the first exposure does not end at the time the second exposure is supposed to start (2 seconds after the start of shooting), and so the second picture is not taken. As a result, Interval Shooting ends before the specified number of shots are taken. In such cases, you can set [Standby Interval] in [11 Interval Shooting Options] of the E2 menu so that pictures are taken at the set intervals after each exposure ends. The screen displayed in Step 4 varies depending on the [11 Interval Shooting Options] setting.

As many Pentax cameras share the same options, try looking for this. I now have mine setup like this, no math required, just set the number of shots and the interval and away you go. Not really sure why this isn’t the default option.
06-27-2019, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note also, that if you want longer exposures (say "15" seconds and longer) that the actual exposure time is longer than indicated. See

Actual shutter speeds versus "standard" values - PentaxForums.com

and

True Shutter Speeds compared to Nominal Shutter Speeds - Actual Measurements - PentaxForums.com

So, a "15 second" exposure is really 16 seconds. As noted above, you also need a couple of seconds for overhead between shots. So your interval for, say 15 second exposures, should be something like 16 + 2 (or even 3) = 18 or 19 seconds.
06-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Note also, that if you want longer exposures (say "15" seconds and longer) that the actual exposure time is longer than indicated. See

Actual shutter speeds versus "standard" values - PentaxForums.com

and

True Shutter Speeds compared to Nominal Shutter Speeds - Actual Measurements - PentaxForums.com

So, a "15 second" exposure is really 16 seconds. As noted above, you also need a couple of seconds for overhead between shots. So your interval for, say 15 second exposures, should be something like 16 + 2 (or even 3) = 18 or 19 seconds.
Dave,

Thank you! This will make my astrophotography better, as well.