Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What model did you have the "Aperture/Diaphragm" fail on?
K1   00%
K1ii   00%
Ks1   00%
Ks2 13.23%
K3   00%
K3ii   00%
K5   00%
K5ii   00%
K7   00%
K30 1135.48%
K50 1858.06%
K70 13.23%
KP   00%
Other 39.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Aperture/Diaphragm Control Block Failures

I am starting this thread in an attempt to follow up with Ricoh/Pentax with regards to how many camera models have been afflicted with "APERTURE BLOCK" or "DIAPHRAGM CONTROL BLOCK FAILURES" and if their camera was/has been fixed by Ricoh/Pentax.

If you have a camera that has failed please answer the poll question that affects your model, i.e. K1, K50
If your model is not listed in the poll questions provided please post a reply with the "model & shutter count" at time of failure.

Thanks for your responses!

THIS POLL WILL RUN FOR 30 DAYS, WHEN RESULTS ARE IN I WILL POST THEM HERE!

UPDATE 1:- the last poll on PentaxForums ran through Sept 2016, the launch date of the K-70 was June of 2016, Now some of those cameras will have reached a 24 month aniversary there may be more failures due to Ricoh manufacturing with the same part that had failed in previous models.

UPDATE 2: SEE THE RESULTS OF PREVIOUS SURVEY FROM 2016 HERE.Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by SharkyCA; 07-07-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Update Post Add Link to previous survey.
06-28-2019, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We already know which camera are and aren't affected as many of us have taken these cameras apart and are very familiar with how the aperture block works.

Affected cameras are K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S2, K-S1, K-70.

Quantities for each model would be a useful anecdotal data point though.
06-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There was a poll a few years back.
I suspect a serial number might add insight. There may be clusters or stops when the solenoid was switched.
06-28-2019, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a K-30 fail, but they replaced the aperture block in my K-50 when it was sent in for a battery hook. Anybody else have one replaced when the camera went in for something else?

06-29-2019, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

You forgot an option.... None.... as I bet there would be a greater amount with that selection vs ones that have.
06-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I am starting this thread in an attempt to follow up with Ricoh/Pentax with regards to how many camera models have been afflicted with "APERTURE BLOCK" or "DIAPHRAGM CONTROL BLOCK FAILURES" and if their camera was/has been fixed by Ricoh/Pentax.
Wouldn't Ricoh already know that based on warranty claims and complaints?
06-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
We already know which camera are and aren't affected as many of us have taken these cameras apart and are very familiar with how the aperture block works.

Affected cameras are K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S2, K-S1, K-70.

Quantities for each model would be a useful anecdotal data point though.
Calicouser, I think I covered all the cameras effected with the poll options, I am trying to get an approximate time span that this problem has covered. Thanks for your input!

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
There was a poll a few years back.
I suspect a serial number might add insight. There may be clusters or stops when the solenoid was switched.
Swanlefitte, Yes, but I can't do anything with serial # at this point, just looking for years of occurrence. Thanks for your input!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I had a K-30 fail, but they replaced the aperture block in my K-50 when it was sent in for a battery hook. Anybody else have one replaced when the camera went in for something else?
ramseybuckeye, Apparently Ricoh sometimes puts out a news letter covering some serial #'s as a directive to the repair shops to "repair no charge" as per this link to Ricoh News under events/service 2015 07 10 Notice: Power-Off Issue with the PENTAX K-3 II Digital SLR Camera?RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You forgot an option.... None.... as I bet there would be a greater amount with that selection vs ones that have.
Oldbayrunner, I know there are more cameras THAT HAVE NOT FAILED, I am looking for the ones THAT HAVE FAILED, there are LOTS of happy campers, myself being one, although I just paid to have my K-70 repaired. It would be nice for Ricoh to acknowledge the problem.

06-29-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #8

Yes, a "none" option would be good. Also if the "none" responses would list what bodies they have. It would be interesting to see how many, if any, K-30/50 users have not had failure.
06-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I covered all the cameras effected with the poll options
K-500 is missing, but this was a pretty short-lived low volume camera.

I am trying to get an approximate time span that this problem has covered
2012 to recently i.e the production times of the affected cameras K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S2, K-S1, K-70

I am looking for the ones THAT HAVE FAILED
See list above. this is already well studied and known. These are the models that used the green Chinese manufactured solenoid in the aperture block.

K-7, K-5 line, K-3 line, KP, K-1 line all use motors in the aperture block and not solenoids, they are not affected.

It would be nice for Ricoh to acknowledge the problem
It's not going to happen. We may feel better as users, but business doesn't work like that. What they are doing is fixing a lot of them for free even out of warranty.

follow up with Ricoh/Pentax with regards to how many camera models have been afflicted with "APERTURE BLOCK" or "DIAPHRAGM CONTROL BLOCK FAILURES"
They know better than anyone, they have all the manufacturing data and warranty repair data.

I'm not against the poll, just pointing out that there is already a wealth of information on this topic in these forums.
06-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster

2012 to recently i.e the production times of the affected cameras K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S2, K-S1, K-70

See list above. this is already well studied and known. These are the models that used the green Chinese manufactured solenoid in the aperture block.

K-7, K-5 line, K-3 line, KP, K-1 line all use motors in the aperture block and not solenoids, they are not affected.

It's not going to happen. We may feel better as users, but business doesn't work like that. What they are doing is fixing a lot of them for free even out of warranty.

They know better than anyone, they have all the manufacturing data and warranty repair data.

I'm not against the poll, just pointing out that there is already a wealth of information on this topic in these forums.
Thanks for reinforcing what is known, unless you have "direct knowledge" from Ricoh on "how many,which models and their database" the information across PentaxForums is very scattered. As for them repairing some outside of warranty and some not it is an issue that has spanned a lot of years and if Pentax is going to survive they will need to repair the public perception about this issue.

Like myself if you have had the problem you are probably aware of the numerous threads on Pentaxforums as well as other forums about this issue, I DON'T want to see Pentax fail!
Thanks for your input!
06-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #11

If you are trying to determine which models show the control block defect I think it has been pretty well established both on PF and the Pentaxians.de forums which ones they are.

Determining if Ricoh has addressed the problem you would need to know the frequency of the failures. For that you need to know how many bodies do not manifest the problem as well as other defects. This is further complicated that the problem seems to be age and usage based. Posters on the Pentaxians.de forum are fond to point out that the problem didn't become apparent until the K-30/50 were about 2.5 years old.

Besides 2 or three PF members have been assured by Ricoh that the mechanism was changed in the K-70. photogem's analysis of the photos of the offending part from your camera seems to bear this out.

I'll refer you to a poll for the K-70 on the Pentaxians.de forum for further information:
K-70 wer hat (keine?) Probleme mit Blendensteuerung? ? Pentaxians

FWIW: as of this moment out of 61 responses
6 (12%) - block failure
39 (76%) - no failure
2 (4%) - some other fault
4 (8%) - no failure (2nd camera)

However it is still difficult to draw conclusions since the problem seems to age/time based - how many of the no failures may fail as time goes by?
06-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you are trying to determine which models show the control block defect I think it has been pretty well established both on PF and the Pentaxians.de forums which ones they are.

Determining if Ricoh has addressed the problem you would need to know the frequency of the failures. For that you need to know how many bodies do not manifest the problem as well as other defects. This is further complicated that the problem seems to be age and usage based. Posters on the Pentaxians.de forum are fond to point out that the problem didn't become apparent until the K-30/50 were about 2.5 years old.

Besides 2 or three PF members have been assured by Ricoh that the mechanism was changed in the K-70. photogem's analysis of the photos of the offending part from your camera seems to bear this out.

I'll refer you to a poll for the K-70 on the Pentaxians.de forum for further information:
K-70 wer hat (keine?) Probleme mit Blendensteuerung? ? Pentaxians

FWIW: as of this moment out of 61 responses
6 (12%) - block failure
39 (76%) - no failure
2 (4%) - some other fault
4 (8%) - no failure (2nd camera)

However it is still difficult to draw conclusions since the problem seems to age/time based - how many of the no failures may fail as time goes by?
Not a Number, if you followed my images of the "Diaphragm Block" sent back to me from Sun Camera on photogem's post you will see it is the same as the k-30/k-50 with a date stamp of manufacture date. It also failed within 2 years and under 5000 shutter count. (4924) at time of repair.

Unfortunate, I do not read German.

Time for Ricoh/Pentax to acknowledge the failures and the fact they knew about it yet STILL produced and sold defective cameras!
I do love my K-70, I am very disappointed in Ricoh/Pentax.

SharkyCA

Last edited by SharkyCA; 07-01-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Update
07-11-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Closed Account

My K-50 did. So far, not on my K-70...
07-11-2019, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #14

My K30 failed last year with about 3000 shutter count. Eventually got it repaired by a third party as Pentax/Ricoh seemed uninterested as it was out of warranty.

Andy
07-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish people would stop saying things like "My K-30/50 failed" .... aperture control failure does not mean the camera failed. My Canon Rebel {actually 2 of them} failed when the processor failed, because the camera did absolutely nothing, so I had a choice between using it as a paper-weight or trashing it {so each is now in the county landfill}. On the other hand, my K-30 is still usable ten months after its aperture control totally failed - I just have to use a lens with aperture ring and then 'green button meter'.