Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How would you go about proving that your IBIS wasn't working?

So I have a Pentax KP which I quite enjoy. However, I rarely notice much in the way of shake reduction when taking shots with the SR on versus off. Is there some foolproof way to determine that in fact the SR is functioning? I don't see any error messages or anything... it's just that the purported effect doesn't seem to work in this case and I don't think I have shaky hands or anything. I think back when I shot with the K50 it seemed like it had more of an effect. I'm willing to chalk it up to using a heavier camera, I was just curious if there was a method of testing it besides side by side shots.

06-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
So I have a Pentax KP which I quite enjoy. However, I rarely notice much in the way of shake reduction when taking shots with the SR on versus off. Is there some foolproof way to determine that in fact the SR is functioning? I don't see any error messages or anything... it's just that the purported effect doesn't seem to work in this case and I don't think I have shaky hands or anything. I think back when I shot with the K50 it seemed like it had more of an effect. I'm willing to chalk it up to using a heavier camera, I was just curious if there was a method of testing it besides side by side shots.
Not sure if the KP is different, but if you go into live view you can see it operate. Another thing is to check the exif for the image file. That will tell you whether it is actually enabled.
06-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What I would do to test that, similar to how some reviews test any such system: pick a focal length and aperture.

Start from high ISO and relatively high shutter speed (1/fl). Take 5 or so shots, definitely more than one, and lengthen the shutter. That's why you'd start from higher iso, to have room to lower the shutter speed.

Keep doing so until none of the shots are in focus. Enable Sr at that speed and compare results.

It's important to compare multiple shots because your hands don't move the same for every shot.

---------- Post added 06-30-19 at 06:06 PM ----------

Perhaps the increased resolution allows you to notice smaller movements during exposures, although I'd think the improved sr system ok the kp would make up for that?

Last edited by aaacb; 06-30-2019 at 03:12 PM.
06-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Many times SR will cause blur on a tripod but not guaranteed. If you notice a difference with it on or off you know it's working. You can't use the delay with SR so you need to use a remote shutter activation.

06-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Not sure if the KP is different, but if you go into live view you can see it operate. Another thing is to check the exif for the image file. That will tell you whether it is actually enabled.
Yes, SR is fulltime active in live view on the KP unless you turn it off.
06-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
I guess I don't really understand what you mean by it being "on" in live view. Do you just mean the little icon? Is there some way to observe it operating while in live view?
06-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

I guess I don't really understand what you mean by it being "on" in live view. Do you just mean the little icon? Is there some way to observe it operating while in live view?
Not sure about the KP, but on the other bodies I've owned, you can hear and feel it.
06-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You can see it working in live view. If you do sudden movements or shake it around you can see the SR trying to compensate.

06-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Huh, okay. I tried panning around in Live View with SR on and off and didn't really notice any difference. But honestly I don't know what I'm looking for. The KP's live view is so smooth regardless that it's hard to say.
06-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Huh, okay. I tried panning around in Live View with SR on and off and didn't really notice any difference. But honestly I don't know what I'm looking for. The KP's live view is so smooth regardless that it's hard to say.
Look at the screen and quickly move the camera in small circles. If it only appears the live view is going up and down the SR is compensating for the movement on the x axis.
06-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Look at the screen and quickly move the camera in small circles. If it only appears the live view is going up and down the SR is compensating for the movement on the x axis.
Ah ok! Yes, something is definitely happening, I can hear it and I notice the behavior you are talking about. So I guess it's working! Thanks.
06-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #12

@selfnoise: panning may not be the best action to check for SR since the camera detects that you are panning and temporary disables SR for this shot.
06-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a quick and easy test. Just take a Pixel Shift image. The same mechanism that does IBIS moves the sensor for Pixel Shift. If you get a normal Pixel Shift file (insane resolution), then PS is working, and chances are pretty good that IBIS is working too.