Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2019, 01:46 AM   #1

Long exposures K-S2

I'm looking for an intervalometer that works with the K-S2, I know the K-S2 has the built in interval shots function but, I'm looking to do timed long shots without resorting to a stopwatch & remote release, so are there any apps/remotes/cable releases the work with the K-S2?

07-02-2019, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find it very hard to read your question..

It sounds like you're looking for an intervalometer, even though you acknowledge the K-S2 has a built in intervalometer...
Then you say you don't want to resort to a remote release but then finish off by asking if there is a remote/cable release that works with the K-S2...

But I'll take a swing at answering:

Have you tried Pentax's app called "Image Sync" and use that with the wifi built into the K-S2?

Have you read the user manual regarding the built in interval shooting? You can set up long exposures to shoot on intervals:
Starting on page 64:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s2.pdf

Hope this helps
07-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigginge1976 Quote
are there any apps/remotes/cable releases the work with the K-S2?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Here are the talking points:
  • The K-S2 does not have an external port to support a wired intervalometer, so that option is off the table
  • The built-in intervalometer does not support exposures longer than 30 seconds or arbitrary exposure times at interval
  • The K-S2 does support IR wireless remote. With appropriate IR transmitter, it is possible to do intervalometry through that interface, though with significant battery draw while the IR remote mode is active. Supported features (max/min times, ramping, etc.) depends on the software used.
  • I am unaware of whether Image Sync provides expanded interval exposure features beyond the camera-supported drive modes. If so, it is undocumented.
I have personally used the IR blaster on my Android phone to do B-mode* interval work with the IR remote feature of my K-3 (K-S2 should be similar) with the free DSLR Remote app by bitshift. It does not allow programmed ramping, but does allow arbitrary exposure times up to 99hr, 59 min, 59 sec in one second increments.

Good luck!

Steve

* Depending on transmitter hardware/software, it may be necessary to configure B-mode to work in "press to start...press to stop" mode (menu --> C1 --> 7. Bulb(B) mode options: Type 2)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2019 at 11:56 AM.
07-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I find it very hard to read your question..

It sounds like you're looking for an intervalometer, even though you acknowledge the K-S2 has a built in intervalometer...
Then you say you don't want to resort to a remote release but then finish off by asking if there is a remote/cable release that works with the K-S2...

But I'll take a swing at answering:

Have you tried Pentax's app called "Image Sync" and use that with the wifi built into the K-S2?

Have you read the user manual regarding the built in interval shooting? You can set up long exposures to shoot on intervals:
Starting on page 64:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-s2.pdf

Hope this helps
Sorry it wasn't clear, I'm looking to do long exposures and the in build option only does interval shots but, not timed long exposures someone has suggested a few options, thanks

07-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Here are the talking points:
  • The K-S2 does not have an external port to support a wired intervalometer, so that option is off the table
  • The built-in intervalometer does not support exposures longer than 30 seconds or arbitrary exposure times at interval
  • The K-S2 does support IR wireless remote. With appropriate IR transmitter, it is possible to do intervalometry through that interface, though with significant battery draw while the IR remote mode is active. Supported features (max/min times, ramping, etc.) depends on the software used.
  • I am unaware of whether Image Sync provides expanded interval exposure features beyond the camera-supported drive modes. If so, it is undocumented.
I have personally used the IR blaster on my Android phone to do B-mode* interval work with the IR remote feature of my K-3 (K-S2 should be similar) with the free DSLR Remote app by bitshift. It does not allow programmed ramping, but does allow arbitrary exposure times up to 99hr, 59 min, 59 sec in one second increments.

Good luck!

Steve

* Depending on transmitter hardware/software, it may be necessary to configure B-mode to work in "press to start...press to stop" mode (menu --> C1 --> 7. Bulb(B) mode options: Type 2)
Cheers for the info, I tried the app only to discover my mobile doesn't have an IR blaster but, it's exactly what I'm looking for so will dig out an old mobile with an IR blaster and give it a go.
07-02-2019, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigginge1976 Quote
Sorry it wasn't clear, I'm looking to do long exposures and the in build option only does interval shots but, not timed long exposures someone has suggested a few options, thanks
One solution may be "interval composite" mode (see p65 of the manual). That will let you create exposures of any total length (e.g., a 300 second exposure can be made with interval composite set to take ten 30-second exposures added or averaged together). The only minor downside is that there will be short gaps in the exposures which may be noticeable if the picture contains very small moving objects (e.g. stars).
07-02-2019, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The only minor downside is that there will be short gaps in the exposures which may be noticeable if the picture contains very small moving objects (e.g. stars).
Or clumps of foam/bubbles on moving water. This is a good suggestion, though. A lot depends on the length of the gap between exposures and contrast between the moving object and background as to whether there is a train of hard edges or a smooth rendering. I have found that multiple exposure merge composite with background subtract off may also work well. The other option is simply a series of exposures merged in PP.

Steve

09-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #8

KS-2 long exposures

I realise this is an old question and I'm sorry off this has already been answered, but I'll post my answer anyway which may benefit someone because, as has been said here a few times, you can't use an intervalometer with the KS-2, which is otherwise a great camera producing excellent results, and a good back up camera to own for those who can't afford 2 x K3iiis!!

Use an IR shutter release (about £4 on eBay) and set the Bulb mode to Type 2 in custom menu 7 and then the drive to remote (obviously!). When you press the IR remote the shutter will open and when you press it again the shutter will close. Not limited to 30 seconds. OK so you will need to time this with your watch but the difference between a 4min 32sec exposure and a 4min 45sec is negligible so there is plenty of room for error.

Have used this myself for long exposure work with the KS-2 quite successfully. Take a spare battery with you as it draws a lot of power with the shutter open. Shake reduction is automatically turned off with IR remote drive setting enabled.