Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Photomatix Pro HDR software
Thanks for the suggestion! Will look into this!

07-03-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #17

as was stated before - it is a WB issue. I have not faced this problem myself, but i would try to develop the photo with indoors WB / outside WB and try to merge it in photoshop or gimp afterwards. but it might be difficult.

HDR - from k3 up, there is an auto HDR option - which works really good in situation like this. you can try to take the photo with artificial lightning on/off and maybe this can also help to minimize the WB issue.
07-03-2019, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can try to level the white balance using the adjustment brush in lightroom on the daylight areas
07-03-2019, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Here is a great cross contamination shot. A cto and ctb gel. Look at the wall where they meet. The main part for here is the "how the two mix"
Strobist: Lighting 103: Avoiding Cross Contamination

07-03-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

You may find this Flickr group to be a good resource:
Flickr: The Photography for Real Estate Pool
07-03-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Hello everyone,

I have side gigs as a real estate photographer.
One of the hardest things to shoot is windows - due to what I suspect is chromatic aberrations
My main goal in most shots, at least ones that have a high dynamic range, is to expose for the highlights and bring up the shadows in post-production.
When I complete this process, there seems to be irremovable aberrations in the windows - Lightroom cannot seem to manually remove this purple throughout the windows or purple reflections along the floors (see picture attached).
I'm using a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 usually stopped down to at least f/7.1 to f/16. Doesn't stopping down usually helps chromatic aberrations?

1) Is there something else I can do with my technique (in the field or in post) to reduce the purple?
2) Is it just the lens? I can't afford an expensive lens (DA* 11-18 *drools*) but what might work better but still affordable?

Thanks for any tips!
You definitely have a White Balance issue. Are you shooting with AWB? If you are using AWB you might want to try Multi-AWB this can sometimes help in situations like you have here.
07-03-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you trying to get everything right in 1 shot?

You said you're trying to expose for the highlights, but I think the outside or at least the reflection on the floor are a little overexposed.

I'm not experienced with this type of photography but what I've seen others do in videos/tutorials on Youtube is to take many shots with different exposure/lighting and combine the parts you like from each shot in post.

Last edited by ehrwien; 07-03-2019 at 03:39 PM.
07-03-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Are you trying to get everything right in 1 shot?

You said you're trying to expose for the highlights, but I think the outside or at least the reflection on the floor are a little overexposed.

I'm not experienced with this type of photography but from what I've seen others do in videos/tutorials on Youtube is to take many shots with different exposure/lighting and combine the parts you like from each shot in post.
Those multiple shots also let you remove the flashes you've placed to get uniform colour temperatures.

07-03-2019, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Look any better? I reduced the saturation on the blue channel.

Last edited by bschriver11; 02-02-2020 at 06:31 PM.
07-03-2019, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #25

I used to shoot houses for Airbnb, (I found it not worth the trouble in the end) and I would use my K20D and 12-24mm zoom. I used auto white balance. I would set the general exposure so that nothing inside was blown out to white, ideally with some detail in the view from the windows. All house lights would be on, but contributed almost nothing to the light levels.

Then I would set my flash exposure (on a manual, fractional setting) to the right level of fill. I nearly always bounced the flash off the ceiling that was above me, but sometimes I had to bounce the flash off a white card when the ceiling was unsuitable, or I was shooting through a doorway. I never used a tripod; with shake reduction and at 400 ISO I didn't need one. Colour balance was fine.

If I did it again, I would have another flashgun that could be remotely triggered, on a stand. It would use it for places that were not otherwise being lit, and again bounce it off the ceiling. In your shot above, though, I would have it in the kitchen but bounce it off the white cupboards out of shot, since the ceiling and walls are all yellow.

Last edited by Robot camera; 07-03-2019 at 04:15 PM.
07-03-2019, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The purple in the floor could well be a white balance issue. You have daylight and various artificial light in the same shot, colours will go all over the place in those conditions. I can't tell from your low res photo but chromatic aberration is usually thin lines along high contrast edges and I cant see any of that.

If it's a white balance issue you have to either control the light or fix the white balance, by area, in post. In this case you'd have to mask off the areas most affected by daylight and change the white balance. I'm not a lightroom user so can't help you with achieving it in that specific software.
I have come to the same conclusion with some of my shots too. The natural light from outside is being overbalanced towards green as the artificial light within the house is being corrected. You can even see it on the top of the stairs. I'm not sure what you can do about it. Maybe you could change the composition as to avoid the competing light sources?
07-03-2019, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #27
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As ToddK said Photomatix Pro will deal with that. It's a WB problem not CA and nothing else and the shot should be bracketed at least with 3 shots 2 E.V. spread (one for the highlights or outdoors, one "normal" and one for the shadows - 5 brackets is best (Pentax cameras do that) which allows you to choose the correct frames and trash the others), and then developed in Ptmtx which offers a brush for colours by using the "colour temperature" selector: there is also a brush for blending different frames. It's all in the tutorials and you should also look into HDR tutorials. The best source by far is this: http://hdrlabs.com/book/

I make full 360 panos and the window problem shows up every time. I'm very happy with that software, it works every time and you don't spend all that time fiddling around with layers if you do real estate - they want the images "right now". Some extreme situations may require up to 7 brackets... See my page here: Richard Novossiltzeff, Panorama photographer | 360Cities

---------- Post added 07-03-19 at 23:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Look any better? I reduced the saturation on the blue channel.
Looks better but the image is flatter, try correcting it in "Levels", you might see that you need more blacks...? Try my suggestion below about bracketing your shots.

Last edited by Rnovo; 07-03-2019 at 07:10 PM.
07-04-2019, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You definitely have a White Balance issue. Are you shooting with AWB? If you are using AWB you might want to try Multi-AWB this can sometimes help in situations like you have here.
That's what I was thinking, too. That's one thing the brilliant engineers at Ricoh got right. Not sure if all the Pentax cameras have that option, but the K-1 does, and it works really well for situations like this.
07-04-2019, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
That's what I was thinking, too. That's one thing the brilliant engineers at Ricoh got right. Not sure if all the Pentax cameras have that option, but the K-1 does, and it works really well for situations like this.
His KS-2 has it, I checked before I made the post. My K-3 has it and I think it was the first Pentax with the feature.
07-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

It's a simple adjustment in Lightroom as bshiver11 mentions and illustrates. Only a little different by using your Color Adjustment/ blue channel hue, saturation & luminance you can adjust out the blue cast and give it a more natural look.