Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 02:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K5 II JPgs Vivid noise Issue

I'm avoiding VIVID MODE because is producing some weird noise(a sort of grid), Cropped photos taken with DA WR 18-55 ISO 800

Using BRIGHT or REVERSAL film the result are different close to be outstanding,any CLUES or TIPS?

VIVID

REVERSAL FILM

Last edited by FabioPirovano; 07-05-2019 at 03:19 AM.
07-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the K-5 and the K-5 IIs for some years, and still like it a lot even after having two subsequent models also, the K-S2 and now the KP. The K-5 IIs is capable of even better fine detail over the K-5 and 5II due to eliminating the AA filter. My advice- do not use the "Vivid" category! It apparently exaggerates, including "enhancing" noise, and maybe producing artifacts as well, from what I can tell. Is there some quality about it you have found advantageous? The "Bright" setting has a vivid enough color palette and very good contrast, a good setting for most situations. The "Natural" category has a less saturated color palette for less blush in skin tones, and less contrast. Better for higher contrast conditions and flash.

Otherwise, the K-5 can deliver exceptional results with JPEG images, but as with other Pentax models, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for better detail in your images, such as leaves on distant trees, etc. It is easy to do once you gain access, just using your thumb dial to put an "F" by the "S". I have both "Bright" and "Natural" categories set with "Fine Sharpening". See if that works out ok for you.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-05-2019 at 12:36 PM.
07-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes , for the K5II I will keep your advice.. Instead my K-01 (The Brick) is working totally different on Vivid.. however..
07-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

I think you are seeing "color banding" artifact that happens in color gradients in JPEGs. The Vivid filter obviously enhances the effect. There are numerous tutorials on how to lessen the banding.

07-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes color banding is crazy with Vivid mode and the sky.. but this issue is another kind..maybe are correlated..the magnification in camera of the picture show a sort of grid made of noise..the cropped file posted are not enough clear I suppose.
07-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What were your shot settings (exif)?
Looks to me like high ISO/Inadequate exposure noise just where the wall gets dark enough to introduce it.