Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

URGENT! Pentax K1 and YONGNUO YN585EX

Hi guys,

I hope you are all doing ok. I ve got a major issue and I would like to know if someone could help me out.

I recently bought a YONGNUO YN585EX with P TTL. Right out of the box it seemed to work fine with my K1, TTL, manual and everything. After that, I proceeded to try it out with my old 50mm 1.4 (manual lens), and then put another more modern lens back in, and it seems that it doesn't work properly anymore.

Now, TTL doesn't work at all, it just triggers a low flash, and when I put it on manual, flash doesn't even trigger. This all happened in about 20 minutes after opening the box.

Any clues? Am I missing something? I am new to flash photography, so I might be doing something wrong, but it's very frustrating and I need to use the flash in 2 days, and train a little bit with it.

Thanks to all!

07-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rafaelvilallonga Quote
Am I missing something?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

P-TTL only works with auto-focus lenses and A-series (KA mount). You will have to switch to manual flash with your 50/1.4. Why your flash is no longer behaving properly is probably something to take up with Yongnuo. Manual flash happens through the main flash contact and should always be at the strength specified at the flash (camera has no input). If you configure the flash for manual and it misbehaves, the flash is at fault. Testing with a fully manual flash on your K-1 should provide the means to determine conclusively whether it is the body or the flash that is at fault.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-05-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Completeness
07-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

P-TTL only works with auto-focus lenses.
P-TTL only works with A-series manual focus or auto-focus lenses...
07-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Just a recommendation. I like to shoot with my Yongnuo 585EX in P-TTL mode when my camera is in manual mode (Pentax K-3II). Settings such as F10, 125 shutter speed, and switching between 200 and 400 ISO. Of course the settings you use can be adapted to what you need, so they could vary from what I mentioned. I use my Pentax AF lenses with the flash so the P-TTL works efficiently. Good luck with your shoot and welcome to Pentax Forums.

07-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
P-TTL only works with A-series manual focus or auto-focus lenses...
Thanks...I was in a hurry and will amend my post.

Steve
07-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

You said that you changed lenses. Make sure the flash hasn't slipped back on the hotshoe during the lens change. If the locking ring on the flash isn't tight enough, it's possible for it to move a bit in the hotshoe and possibly be left making a bad connection.
07-07-2019, 04:28 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope that's your issue now resolved.

07-10-2019, 02:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi again,

Thanks for all the useful advice, but I was not able to make it work. Might be a faulty flash, I don't know. Still shoots a flash in P TTL mode that doesn't give a correct exposure, and doesn't trigger in manual mode.
07-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Any chance you can snap a pic of the back of your camera and flash display showing the settings on both when it's not behaving as expected in P-TTL and manual mode?
07-13-2019, 02:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhankins Quote
Any chance you can snap a pic of the back of your camera and flash display showing the settings on both when it's not behaving as expected in P-TTL and manual mode?
That’s a great idea, here you go, hope it helps. I uploaded them.
Attached Images

07-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There are firmware updates for the flash that may be needed. And even with P-TTL, you cannot always be assured of perfect exposure. The smart folks here, (I do not include myself in this category,) might want to see the images since your changes with all of the Exif information and how your camera is set for metering. I use P-TTL almost all the time and still get some varied results depending on the situation on my KP. Good luck.
07-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rafaelvilallonga Quote
That’s a great idea, here you go, hope it helps. I uploaded them.
Nothing looks strange. My read of the displays is:
  • M mode on the body with no exposure comp
  • Flash detected and ready
  • Flash in PTTL mode through hot shoe with zoom feature in manual mode set to 35mm
  • No flash exposure comp
One would expect an ambient exposure for f/5.6, 1.80s, ISO 400 with flash contribution determined by P-TTL with a spread appropriate for 35mm focal length lens. The strength (duration) of the flash discharge will depend on distance to subject and the brightness of the ambient light contribution.

What is troubling is that the original post indicated no discharge with the flash in manual mode. That would indicate either a failure in the sync circuitry of your camera (bad...very bad) or a defective flash. If you have access to a fully manual flash (center contact only on the flash foot), that may be used to test the basic flash sync on the camera. My bets are that the flash is defective or not properly mounted.

Out of curiosity, have your tried the flash on any other cameras?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2019 at 11:14 AM.
07-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
There are firmware updates for the flash that may be needed.
The latest firmware is v1616 and was released about 2 1/2 years ago. It is available (link at bottom of page) at:

Yongnuo Photographic Equiment Co., Ltd

Steve
07-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Forum Member

On my KP with the same exposure settings on the camera, my flash is firing. My flash display reads the same as yours.
When you say the flash doesn't fire in manual exposure mode, is the camera shutter releasing and an image being taken, just no flash?

FWIW, my firmware is 1611 and my flash settings look like this.

01 sl ep on
02 af on
03 sl sd 60
04 sl of 8h
05 so nd on
06 se of 3
07 9u ic --
08 l cd 7
09 I nc 0.3
10 V er 16 11
11 cl ea --
07-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhankins Quote
On my KP with the same exposure settings on the camera, my flash is firing. My flash display reads the same as yours.
When you say the flash doesn't fire in manual exposure mode, is the camera shutter releasing and an image being taken, just no flash?

FWIW, my firmware is 1611 and my flash settings look like this.

01 sl ep on
02 af on
03 sl sd 60
04 sl of 8h
05 so nd on
06 se of 3
07 9u ic --
08 l cd 7
09 I nc 0.3
10 V er 16 11
11 cl ea --
Shutter closes but the flash doesn’t fire...

---------- Post added 07-13-19 at 06:25 PM ----------

The latest firmware is v1616 and was released about 2 1/2 years ago. It is available (link at bottom of page) at:

Yongnuo Photographic Equiment Co., Ltd

Steve
I downloaded it last week, still nothing.

---------- Post added 07-13-19 at 06:28 PM ----------

Nothing looks strange. My read of the displays is:
  • M mode on the body with no exposure comp
  • Flash detected and ready
  • Flash in PTTL mode through hot shoe with zoom feature in manual mode set to 35mm
  • No flash exposure comp
One would expect an ambient exposure for f/5.6, 1.80s, ISO 400 with flash contribution determined by P-TTL with a spread appropriate for 35mm focal length lens. The strength (duration) of the flash discharge will depend on distance to subject and the brightness of the ambient light contribution.

What is troubling is that the original post indicated no discharge with the flash in manual mode. That would indicate either a failure in the sync circuitry of your camera (bad...very bad) or a defective flash. If you have access to a fully manual flash (center contact only on the flash foot), that may be used to test the basic flash sync on the camera. My bets are that the flash is defective or not properly mounted.

Out of curiosity, have your tried the flash on any other cameras?

Steve
I tried a Nikon specific flash, and it synched in manual mode. I guess the flash is malfunctioning. What a bummer, I don’t know if I should try to fix it or just try to return it, which will take a while.