Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always a Problem Uploading images from My K-7.

Greetings,

Everytime I attempt to upload images from my K-7 onto my computer, there is a problem. I continue getting the error message: "Cannot locate images on your device."

After many attempts, I finally receive the message: "So many images are now ready for uploading." Then I can complete uploading. Unfortunately I have Photo Editor 10 (which I believe is the bane of mankind " that came with Windows 10.

I do not have this problem with any of my other brand gear. It might be best to just remove the card and go from there.

Thanks for reading.

TT

07-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
It might be best to just remove the card and go from there.
I've always found this to be the best way to go. No fiddling with cables or transfer software, simply copy the images directly where I want them
with file manager.
07-05-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I've always found this to be the best way to go. No fiddling with cables or transfer software, simply copy the images directly where I want them
with file manager.
Well sir, I thank you very much.

TT
07-06-2019, 01:46 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I always "move" rather than copy and I use a card reader rather than the cable. And not having Windows 10 yet, I'd go with what tvdtvdtvd said about copying.

07-06-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Copying from the card has many advantages, including the file creation date being the date the image was taken, not the date uploaded. It may not matter now, but 10 years from now it just might
07-06-2019, 04:51 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

have you tried a different card?
07-06-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you have a bad card, there should be no problem copying files directly from the camera. Are you formatting your card after each use?

07-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #8

I gather you are using a cable to connect your camera to your Windows 10 PC.

Try changing the Transfer mode in the setup menu of the K-7.
Try a different cable or USB port on the PC.

Using a card reader has some advantages in addition to those mentioned above:
  • Faster transfer rate
  • No worries of camera battery running down
  • You can write lock the card

Some disadvantages::
  • Wear and tear on the card and card slot
  • You might forget and not return the card to the camera or camera bag
  • Have to buy a card reader if you don't have one.
07-06-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I always "move" rather than copy and I use a card reader rather than the cable. And not having Windows 10 yet, I'd go with what tvdtvdtvd said about copying.
I used to use move files on Windows more than I do now. I had a few times when the transfer failed that lost files. Now if it is a large block of data or items I don't want to risk, I copy, paste,and then delete the old files.
07-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think I've ever transferred the files via cable. Every PC I've had for the last dozen years has had an SD card slot. Just drag and drop from one folder to another. It defaults to copying since the card is removable media.
You need to remember to put the card back though. To remind myself, I place the camera upside down on a table or desk.
07-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I don't think I've ever transferred the files via cable. Every PC I've had for the last dozen years has had an SD card slot. Just drag and drop from one folder to another. It defaults to copying since the card is removable media.
You need to remember to put the card back though. To remind myself, I place the camera upside down on a table or desk.
I keep a spare in my battery grip. Can’t tell you how many times I needed it.
07-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Card readers are quite inexpensive. As soon as the transfer is complete, I return the SD card to the camera, or if I'm already on a new card for shooting, I put it into the empty case for future use. Simple as that.
07-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Copying from the card has many advantages, including the file creation date being the date the image was taken, not the date uploaded. It may not matter now, but 10 years from now it just might
You get the same date whether it's from a card reader or direct, unless you have them setup differently.

---------- Post added 07-06-19 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I gather you are using a cable to connect your camera to your Windows 10 PC.

Try changing the Transfer mode in the setup menu of the K-7.
Try a different cable or USB port on the PC.

Using a card reader has some advantages in addition to those mentioned above:
  • Faster transfer rate
  • No worries of camera battery running down
  • You can write lock the card

Some disadvantages::
  • Wear and tear on the card and card slot
  • You might forget and not return the card to the camera or camera bag
  • Have to buy a card reader if you don't have one.
I prefer the cable method because of the wear and tear aspect, on Windows 10 and Mac, but I have to use a crd reader on the ipad because wifi is way too slow on the KP. But I use a shared Pentax at work so we have card readers. I have a co-worker who often forgets to put the card back.
07-07-2019, 04:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

With regard to software, have you tried IrfanView or Faststone ? Both free, and have a certain amount of image processing capability built in.
07-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
With regard to software, have you tried IrfanView or Faststone ? Both free, and have a certain amount of image processing capability built in.
Yes, I do have and use FastStone Image Viewer. However, I can only upload into Photo Editor 10. I just do not comprehend why this problem exists only with my Pentax gear.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

TT