Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Light Leaks? Help Identifying The Source

Hello,

Not really about a Pentax film body, but I thought I'd post here to ask for people's opinions.
These two shots were taken on two different film backs on my Bronica SQ-A. There is a vertical white band that can be seen near both the left and side edges of the frames (it's more evident on the first photo though). Now, the problem only started recently, so I guess it's possible that *both* backs started acting up at the same time. However, that seems unlikely to me. Can anyone point me to other suspects here? Could it be the camera body? Or perhaps the development process? I can see the bands on the developed negatives so I can rule out my scanner.

Much appreciated,

Ed

Attached Images

07-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do the leaks extend into the margins of the film, gaps between the frames, and leader sections of the negatives?

If not, I'd suspect the shutter, especially if the effect is worse on shots with higher shutter speeds.
07-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #3

In this blog the author mentions having light leaks in three backs. The first two from the door/hinge seals. The third from the dark slide. Solved by removing and replacing the light seal material in the first instance. The dark slide light seal uses thin metal pieces that needed to be straightened out.

Zenza Bronica SQ-a: The affordable Hasselblad | K. Praslowicz
07-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It almost looks like over agitation in the developer.

07-07-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #5

Another thing you could try is put a small LED keychain flashlight inside the film back and see if you can spot any light leaks in a darkroom or closet. I used to use a "grain of wheat" lightbulb as the wires were thin enough not to interfere with the light baffles on the camera door. A trick I got from a camera repair person.
07-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. In response to an earlier question, there doesn't seem to be any light extending beyond the frame.

I did some more googling on frame edge bands from over agitation, and they look very similar to what I'm experiencing here. I'm going to try to address that next.
NaN, your suggestion of using a small flashlight is a pretty good one. I'll try that in a dark room too.