Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 12:54 AM   #1

K200D will no longer connect to PC

K200D is no longer recognised by Windows.
Any PC or laptop to which I connect shows "The last device connected has malfunctioned" and cannot be seen in File Explorer.
I used to be able to transfer files directly and use a teathering program.
Does anyone know of a fix. My firmware is up to date.
I am intending to re-install the firmware when I get a chance. I an not sure if the incompatibility is directly related to update, but I may try to wind back to original firmware to try.
Peter

07-07-2019, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterFD Quote
K200D is no longer recognised by Windows.
Any PC or laptop to which I connect shows "The last device connected has malfunctioned" and cannot be seen in File Explorer.
I used to be able to transfer files directly and use a teathering program.
Does anyone know of a fix. My firmware is up to date.
I am intending to re-install the firmware when I get a chance. I an not sure if the incompatibility is directly related to update, but I may try to wind back to original firmware to try.
Peter
Try the Pentax digital camera utility software, it may be of help to see if that works or not.
07-07-2019, 01:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Try the Pentax digital camera utility software, it may be of help to see if that works or not.
Thanks, I don't know what is included in that software, but I will certainly have a look.
Thanks again.
07-07-2019, 01:51 AM   #4

Have you tried a different cable?
I had a similar issue with my K200D and found that a different cable fixed it.

07-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't bother connecting you camera to your PC. Just use a SD card reader of some kind to get your images off. I don't think I've connected any of my cameras to my PC in years.
07-07-2019, 03:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
Have you tried a different cable?
I had a similar issue with my K200D and found that a different cable fixed it.
Haven't tried yet, but I will before I try anything else.
Thanks.
07-07-2019, 03:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wouldn't bother connecting you camera to your PC. Just use a SD card reader of some kind to get your images off. I don't think I've connected any of my cameras to my PC in years.
I will need to use teathering for my next project, so would like to reclaim the old functionality. So not just downloading. I usually use card reader for that, so was unaware that I had lost this connectivity.
Thanks for suggestion.

07-07-2019, 03:31 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is USB connection set to PC in the Set-up menu?
07-07-2019, 04:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reboot the PC, sometimes USB controllers on PC is messed up after disconnecting some devices without safe disconnect.
07-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #10

Since you tried different computers we call rule out the USB port on the computer side as the problem.

That leaves:
  1. USB cable
  2. Settings on camera
  3. connector on camera
  4. fault in camera

If you check the settings and use a new cable and still have the problem that would leave 3 and 4. Unfortunately having the camera serviced is probably the only solution for these. Given the age of the camera and lack of parts it would probably be more economical to replace the camera.

Edit: If do upgrade your camera take note the PKTether will support up to the K-5. The current cameras will work with PentaxForums' program. As I recall the K-30/50 are not supported by any of the tethering programs. Someone will correct me if I am wrong .

The PKTether site appears to be gone but a member or two here have archived the download file. I can't get the Pentax remote utility to load on anything above Windows XP.

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-07-2019 at 06:38 AM.
07-08-2019, 03:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterFD Quote
Haven't tried yet, but I will before I try anything else.
Thanks.
Thanks.
I have just got back to this project. Found another cable from an old mobile phone....Hey Presto!! it works.
That savec a lot of work; now it sounds like I have to update my tethering software - I have a new PC & laptop.
Thanks everyone for help & suggestions.
07-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I only ever used my K200D connected to a PC once, for tethering, and the only problem I encountered was that it refused to connect when I used a 1m USB extension cable, which left me just the standard cable which is too short for comfortable shooting while tethering.

So yes, cables are important and worth checking.
07-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #13

You're very welcome Peter.