Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 66
PROBLEM WITH NEW 55-300 mm f/4.5-6.3 PLM lens

I have just bought a new Pentax 55-300mm lens and cannot get it to focus at all. Because it has a new kind of connection, it was necessary to download the latest firmware first. I did that, and must assume the download was successesful because it went through all the right stages. (The Ricoh instruction is to check which version is installed by going to set-up menu #4, then choose 'Firmware Info/Options' . My camera does not offer that option under set-up menu #4 or 1,2, or 3. So I must assume the download was without mishap.

The new lens came without any kind of instructions and all I get is a very much out-of-focus image. When I try firing the shutter, I get an error message saying that I should set the zoom barrel where the shutter will fire. NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME. P{resumably, the auto-focus has to be activated somehow.

Can anyone help, please? Many thanks.

07-09-2019, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,535
What camera model?

The lens is a retractable design. Have you extended it before attempting yo use it?

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
07-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tyumen, Russia
Posts: 63
Does the zoom ring move? If not, it's in travel position, there's a small round button on the zoom ring, hold that and rotate the ring.
07-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 824
QuoteOriginally posted by 3party Quote
My camera does not offer that option under set-up menu #4 or 1,2, or 3.
On some models, hold down the menu button while turning the power on.

07-09-2019, 09:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 174
It's a retractable model. You have to turn the zoom ring to 55mm or beyond (with the help of a button on the barrel) to extend it first. This will make it ready to work.
07-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,627
QuoteOriginally posted by 3party Quote
I have just bought a new Pentax 55-300mm lens and cannot get it to focus at all. Because it has a new kind of connection, it was necessary to download the latest firmware first. I did that, and must assume the download was successesful because it went through all the right stages. (The Ricoh instruction is to check which version is installed by going to set-up menu #4, then choose 'Firmware Info/Options' . My camera does not offer that option under set-up menu #4 or 1,2, or 3. So I must assume the download was without mishap.

The new lens came without any kind of instructions and all I get is a very much out-of-focus image. When I try firing the shutter, I get an error message saying that I should set the zoom barrel where the shutter will fire. NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME. P{resumably, the auto-focus has to be activated somehow.

Can anyone help, please? Many thanks.
This lens works just like any other lens as far as operation goes, with the caveat that it needs to be extended first (as described above) and that any focusing, even manual, requires power.

The most likely explanation is that the firmware update was not installed. You can check your current version by pressing and holding the menu button while turning on the camera. This version should match the version of the update. If it doesn't, reattempt the update and follow these instructions:

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Also, what camera are you using?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-10-2019, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Cymru
Posts: 125
As above, the firmware updates seem to catch some people out (it would've done for me had I not read up on it first).

Disclosing what camera you're trying to marry this lens to would help people out for sure.
07-10-2019, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,050
The OPs profile says they own K20D,K-5 and K-3. I'm guessing it's the K-3 in question since the other two do not support KAF4 lenses.

07-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 504
Mine is starting to intermittently fail to focus. Any similar experience?
07-10-2019, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,781
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Mine is starting to intermittently fail to focus. Any similar experience?
Gently clean all your contacts on the camera and the lens. Detach and re-attach, then check for functionality.
07-10-2019, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 479
QuoteOriginally posted by 3party Quote
When I try firing the shutter, I get an error message saying that I should set the zoom barrel where the shutter will fire. NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME. P{resumably, the auto-focus has to be activated somehow.
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
It's a retractable model. You have to turn the zoom ring to 55mm or beyond (with the help of a button on the barrel) to extend it first. This will make it ready to work.
That would be my guess. Specifically the warning on my KP is: "Shutter release is disabled. Ensure the zooming index on the lens is set to a position that permits shutter release"

Press the button on the lens located between the 70 and 100 and twist clockwise.
07-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,720
I have the little DAL 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC RE which is not PLM, but works the same way as to being non-functional in the REtracted position.
07-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 66
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Does the zoom ring move? If not, it's in travel position, there's a small round button on the zoom ring, hold that and rotate the ring.
Thanks, but nothing makes the AF work.
I will call Pentax.

---------- Post added 07-11-2019 at 12:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have the little DAL 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC RE which is not PLM, but works the same way as to being non-functional in the REtracted position.
Thanks, but nothing makes the AF work.
I will call Pentax.

---------- Post added 07-11-2019 at 12:52 PM ----------

Thanks, but nothing makes the AF work.
I will call Pentax.
07-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 6,050
Please keep us posted on the status of this problem.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
55-300 mm f/4.5 - 6.3, af, camera, download, lens, menu, mm f/4.5-6.3 plm, pentax, pentax help, photography, pm, position, post, set-up, shutter, thanks, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
55-200, 55-200 WR, 55-300, 55-300 PLM, etc, which telezoom I should get? Bui Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 67 06-25-2018 08:15 PM
DA 55-300 vs 55-300 PLM John A. Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-03-2017 06:18 AM
55-300 PLM or non-PLM version to K-1? Vignetting etc? HankVonHeaven Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 01-29-2017 09:54 AM
18-135 or new 55-300 PLM as an WR upgrade for old DA 55-300 - HELP :) gelokrol Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 12-15-2016 11:53 AM
For Sale - Sold: Brand New FA 31 mm, FA 77 mm, DA* 60-250 mm, DA* 300 mm ppkkcao Sold Items 14 11-02-2014 08:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top