Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 18-135mm also has another desirable characteristic- one of the fastest, most accurate autofocus performance among zoom lenses.

Overall sharpness has been tested as excellent throughout in the central frame area, with weakening only in edge of frame performance when zoomed more into the tele range, where this becomes usually less important.

This is a fine lens for overall use, and very compact in design while still having a very good build quality.

07-11-2019, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #17
Unregistered User

I'd add a couple of other possibilities, without diminishing the value of the comments already posted. I'm thinking about the observation that you're new to photography, by which I assume your prior experience is limited to snapshot and cellphone cameras.

First, you've picked a terrific camera in the K-70, that's going to work really well for you, I reckon. But the menu system is complicated because there are so many options and settings, so I suggest sitting down with the instruction manual and really, seriously read the whole thing. Some of what they say is pretty cryptic, so look up anything you don't get right away on the InterNet, acronyms and technobabble, you know. There are lots of good tutorials on just about everything you could possibly want to know. Take the time to learn as you go. Knowing how to take good pictures isn't the same as knowing how to work the camera - there's both inspiration and technique, same as in any other field. But you'll find it most rewarding if you study up and understand both the art and science of it.

As to lenses: first, a medium-wide to medium telephoto zoom is a good all-around lens, but that adds complexity that won't help you learn photography. You'll have enough to figure out just with that camera and the general ideas about exposure and composition and such. So I figure there are two other options, first, because that's an APS-C sensor camera, you could get a relatively inexpensive 50mm f1.8 kit lens - the "SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8" is a terrific lens, and a great value. On the other hand, considering that you may want to go to a full-frame sensor someday, you may want to ditch the idea of getting lenses that are only good on APS-C cameras, since a full-frame lens will more than cover an APS-C sensor, but APS-C lenses don't generally work well on full-frame cameras. There aren't as many, and they tend to be more expensive, but over the long haul, probably a best-value purchase. In that category, I'd recommend the HD D FA 24-70mm F2.8, which is a zoom lens, but it's not like you're going to be buying lenses every week, like you would gasoline, so the need to scrimp on the price isn't that big an issue. Best plan by my lights, get the cheap 50mm to start with and get good with that, then get the HD D FA 24-70mm F2.8.

As to the 24-70, check out this thread:
HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 Club - PentaxForums.com
07-11-2019, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tpa77l3 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to photography and am looking to start out my journey with the K-70. . . . Please let me know if any more information would be of help and thanks in advance.
welcome to the forum and to your photographic journey

1 lots of helpful people, articles and information available here

2 keep it simple as you begin. learn all you can about the capabilities of your chosen camera body and what it offers you, be aware there is a " learning curve " and get out there and take photos

3 you will improve: knowledge, experience and equipment - that is the formula for success and it is all interdependent on each other

4 you don't have to impress anyone except your self

5 have fun

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
. . . you could get a relatively inexpensive 50mm f1.8 kit lens - the "SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8" is a terrific lens, and a great value.
Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-11-2019 at 04:46 AM.
07-11-2019, 05:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forum and to your photographic journey

1 lots of helpful people, articles and information available here

2 keep it simple as you begin. learn all you can about the capabilities of your chosen camera body and what it offers you, be aware there is a " learning curve " and get out there and take photos

3 you will improve: knowledge, experience and equipment - that is the formula for success and it is all interdependent on each other

4 you don't have to impress anyone except your self

5 have fun
Perhaps the two most valuable messages.

To add a couple of suggestions re: lenses;
• the kit 18-50mm WR is decent enough to get started.
• the 18-135mm WR is a definite step-up in my personal opinion - I recently bought the 18-135mm and sold on my 18-50mm.
• Primes are great lenses - I'm enjoying the DA-50mm f/1.8 aforementioned, but they don't offer the same versatility as zoom lenses.
• Older lenses can be a great budget-friendly option, and are fun to test yourself against manual focusing. This might be a little off-putting if you're in the very early throws of using a camera, however.

07-11-2019, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd add a couple of other possibilities, without diminishing the value of the comments already posted. I'm thinking about the observation that you're new to photography, by which I assume your prior experience is limited to snapshot and cellphone cameras.

First, you've picked a terrific camera in the K-70, that's going to work really well for you, I reckon. But the menu system is complicated because there are so many options and settings, so I suggest sitting down with the instruction manual and really, seriously read the whole thing. Some of what they say is pretty cryptic, so look up anything you don't get right away on the InterNet, acronyms and technobabble, you know. There are lots of good tutorials on just about everything you could possibly want to know. Take the time to learn as you go. Knowing how to take good pictures isn't the same as knowing how to work the camera - there's both inspiration and technique, same as in any other field. But you'll find it most rewarding if you study up and understand both the art and science of it.

As to lenses: first, a medium-wide to medium telephoto zoom is a good all-around lens, but that adds complexity that won't help you learn photography. You'll have enough to figure out just with that camera and the general ideas about exposure and composition and such. So I figure there are two other options, first, because that's an APS-C sensor camera, you could get a relatively inexpensive 50mm f1.8 kit lens - the "SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8" is a terrific lens, and a great value. On the other hand, considering that you may want to go to a full-frame sensor someday, you may want to ditch the idea of getting lenses that are only good on APS-C cameras, since a full-frame lens will more than cover an APS-C sensor, but APS-C lenses don't generally work well on full-frame cameras. There aren't as many, and they tend to be more expensive, but over the long haul, probably a best-value purchase. In that category, I'd recommend the HD D FA 24-70mm F2.8, which is a zoom lens, but it's not like you're going to be buying lenses every week, like you would gasoline, so the need to scrimp on the price isn't that big an issue. Best plan by my lights, get the cheap 50mm to start with and get good with that, then get the HD D FA 24-70mm F2.8.

As to the 24-70, check out this thread:
HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 Club - PentaxForums.com
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to photography and am looking to start out my journey with the K-70. I have the option of getting the camera with the DA 18-135mm WR lens but have read a few reviews which leave it in a somewhat poor light. Would it be anyone's advise to just buy the camera without the bundled lens and go for another one? Or is this, in fact, a good lens to start out with?

I also have the option of getting the camera with a DA 18-50mm. Would this be a better lens for a beginner?

Sorry if this is a bit vague. Please let me know if any more information would be of help and thanks in advance.
As dlh said read the manual. I took it a step further and bought the ebook from Yvonne Bourque on the K-70 available through this forum, an excellent source of info on the K-70.
Here is a link to the article: Pentax K-70 eBook Now Available - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com
07-11-2019, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for the 18-135 if you can get it bundled. It’s just a great default walk-around lens.

Worry about other lenses later.
07-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #22

Original Poster
Wow! What a great response - thanks so much, this looks like a great community.

Pleased to know the 18-135mm is a good, all-round lens for someone starting out and that I've made the right choice with the K-70.

I've been reading that starting out with a 50mm prime lens would be a good thing to enable you to get an eye for composition etc. but I've also read the opposite - that a zoom kit lens would be better as it provides the versatility a beginner might need. Personally, I like the idea of starting out with a 50mm, something that closely resembles what the human eye sees. The added complexity of a zoom lens could be something to learn once the basics have been fully understood.

Thanks for pointing out the upgradability in terms of sensor size @dlh, that wasn't something I was taking into account. A full-size sensor would definitely be an upgrade I would look towards in the future. The comparison table at the start of the lens shootout article provided by @aslyfox lists the f1.8 as being APS-C only. Would the f1.4 be the one to look at with upgradability in mind then? With this in mind, perhaps the 18-135mm wouldn't be a smart investment. Or is this planning too far ahead...

Great advice about reading the manual and getting to know the camera. The e-book is certainly something I'll be looking to pick-up - thanks for the link, and all the other links for that matter. Lots to think about and learn.

07-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

lots of good article here at the forum among them:

Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

be sure to look at the full article

but cutting to the chase, the DA 50mm f1.8 got 2 stars;

Evaluation Criteria
We have evaluated the performance at select F-stop/focal length combinations per the following scale:

A: Full coverage
B: Full coverage, but with slightly soft corners
C: With reservations. Heavy vignetting and/or soft corners
D: With reservations. Very soft corners and vignetting
F: Fail, no coverage (black corners)
We used these F-stops: WO (wide open), F5.6, and F11. We also used three focus setting at each focal length and aperture: near, moderate, and far. The evaluation is thus condences into a single rating that accounts for all focus settings.

DA 50mm F1.8
WO D
F5.6 C
F11 B

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/full-frame-coverage-of-da-...#ixzz5tNWBRYRR

if you can find one: SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4, could be a good starter lens, manual focus is like manual transmission, if you know how to do the basics - - -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-50mm-F1.4-Lens.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-11-2019 at 07:18 AM.
07-11-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the idea of starting out with a 50mm, something that closely resembles what the human eye sees.
On a K-70 a 50mm lens will have the equivalent field of view of a 75mm lens. With an APS-C body a lens in the 30-35mm range would be more in line of a 50mm. Resembling "what the human eye sees."
07-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
On a K-70 a 50mm lens will have the equivalent field of view of a 75mm lens. With an APS-C body a lens in the 30-35mm range would be more in line of a 50mm. Resembling "what the human eye sees."
yes you are correct

this might help some folks:

Crop Factor Explained
07-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #26
Unregistered User

...The comparison table at the start of the lens shootout article provided by @aslyfox lists the f1.8 as being APS-C only. Would the f1.4 be the one to look at with upgradability in mind then? ...
YES!!! I've just finished calibrating exactly that lens on my K-1, and I am amazed all over again with how well it performs. The advantage of the f/1.8 lens is that you can get it for less than a hundred bucks. I used a 50mm f/1.4 lens with a film camera for years and years exclusively and took lots of great pictures (mostly of my own kids). If you can afford the f/1.4 (about a thousand bucks today), that's a lens you could use for years without ever buying another (limiting your flexibility, of course, depending on what kind of subjects you end up photographing). It's a great lens, but on the K-70, I doubt that there's a significant enough difference in image quality to justify ten times the price of the 1.8 lens.
07-11-2019, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm brand new to photography and am looking to start out my journey with the K-70. I have the option of getting the camera with the DA 18-135mm WR lens but have read a few reviews which leave it in a somewhat poor light. Would it be anyone's advise to just buy the camera without the bundled lens and go for another one? Or is this, in fact, a good lens to start out with?
No need to repeat the great advice already. But variants of this question have been asked before. Have a look at these threads (with sample images):
Which k-70 package? - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K70 or KP with the 18/135 Pros & Cons - PentaxForums.com
For a beginner, is the price premium of 16-85 lens over the 18-135 worth paying for - PentaxForums.com
I've been reading that starting out with a 50mm prime lens would be a good thing to enable you to get an eye for composition etc. but I've also read the opposite - that a zoom kit lens would be better as it provides the versatility a beginner might need. Personally, I like the idea of starting out with a 50mm, something that closely resembles what the human eye sees. The added complexity of a zoom lens could be something to learn once the basics have been fully understood.
Strong division of opinion about whether it's better to learn with a zoom or a prime. A prime does impose a certain discipline about framing and seeing images and you often get the benefit of a wider maximum aperture (more light gathering capacity and narrower depth of field). But for everyday shooting, the versatility of a zoom allows you to capture a wider range of images.

One great thing about Pentax is that there are countless affordable K-mount and M42 prime lenses going back 40 years or more that you can use on a modern camera like the K-70 and get great results. There are also affordable modern autofocus/auto-aperture primes like the DA 35 f2.4 and DA 50 f1.8 (the plastic fantastics) and variants of the tiny DA 40 f2.8. Primes like these complement a zoom like the DA 18-135 or DA 16-85. There's a place for each.

One good way to learn is to use one lens exclusively for a month and post your results for feedback. See the "Single in ..." threads, like this one: Single In - July 2019 - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for pointing out the upgradability in terms of sensor size @dlh, that wasn't something I was taking into account. A full-size sensor would definitely be an upgrade I would look towards in the future. The comparison table at the start of the lens shootout article provided by @aslyfox lists the f1.8 as being APS-C only. Would the f1.4 be the one to look at with upgradability in mind then? With this in mind, perhaps the 18-135mm wouldn't be a smart investment. Or is this planning too far ahead...
I think this is getting ahead of yourself. Spend some time with the K-70 and then see whether a full-frame camera appeals. It's not all one-way. The K-1 series would mean a noticeable increase in weight and bulk over the K-70. Full-frame lenses (particularly zooms) are, as a rule, heavier, bulkier and more expensive than their APS-C counterparts. Pentax makes a wider range of high-quality APS-C lenses, not all of which have a full-frame counterpart (e.g. the mind-controlling DA 15 Limited and the versatile DA 18-135). If you develop a fondness for telephoto or macro shooting, APS-C offers some significant advantages. And the K-70 is a really capable camera.

You don't even need to think about the DFA*50 f1.4. Learn to drive the Corolla before thinking about the Maserati. Honestly for the price of a DFA*50 f1.4 you could buy a suite of good lenses which, in skilled hands, can give publication-quality images.

Anyway a couple of modestly-price APS-C lenses won't bind you to APS-C forever. Any modest loss in selling a lens like the 18-135 would be the least of your expenses in shifting to a FF system.

Last edited by Des; 07-11-2019 at 04:17 PM.
07-11-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
As dlh said read the manual. I took it a step further and bought the ebook from Yvonne Bourque on the K-70 available through this forum, an excellent source of info on the K-70.
Here is a link to the article: Pentax K-70 eBook Now Available - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com
I was just about to make that suggestion. Helps immensely with understanding the menu settings, and the camera in general. I've bought one of his "books" every time I've bought a new camera body.

---------- Post added 07-11-19 at 07:39 PM ----------

YES!!! I've just finished calibrating exactly that lens on my K-1, and I am amazed all over again with how well it performs. The advantage of the f/1.8 lens is that you can get it for less than a hundred bucks. I used a 50mm f/1.4 lens with a film camera for years and years exclusively and took lots of great pictures (mostly of my own kids). If you can afford the f/1.4 (about a thousand bucks today), that's a lens you could use for years without ever buying another
The old A-series 50 1.4 is only around $50 and is a fine lens IMHO even if it's manual focus. That can actually be a good thing.
07-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #29

My first Pentax was a K-30, which I bought bundled with an 18-135mm. Never regretted it, and still consider it my primary walk-around lens.
bob5050
07-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Wow! What a great response - thanks so much, this looks like a great community.

Pleased to know the 18-135mm is a good, all-round lens for someone starting out and that I've made the right choice with the K-70.

In my view that would be a mistake. One of the important basics of photography is the framing aspect of composition - including in the frame only the subject and only whatever else is necessary to enhance it. You decide on the appropriate direction from which to capture the shot, and the flexibility of the zoom lens then allows you to concentrate on the framing of the composition in the viewfinder. It removes the need to move forward (perhaps into a fence or a stream) or backward (perhaps into the road or over the edge of a cliff). Also, unlike changing your distance from the subject with a prime lens (so-called 'zooming with the feet'), zooming with a lens does not change the perspective in the image. As suggested previously, the versatility of the zoom lens allows you to explore different focal lengths, which will help you to decide which lens would be most helpful to you as your next purchase. If you wish to practise with one focal length for a few days or weeks, set the zoom to that length and temporarily fix it at that position with insulation tape.

Philip