Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

Pentax K1 MII microcard problem

When I take the memory card out of my camera and insert it into my computer, it no longer shows any pictures. The second card isn't even recognized as being in the computer. But if I connect the camera to the computer via an USB wire, I can extract photos and they are even recognized by LightRoom.

I had formatted both cards with the camera after the problem initially manifested itself, but they were not recognized by the computer. I tried them in a different computer as a test and had the same results.

Any ideas?

07-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend copying over your photos, then formatting the card in the camera or computer to see if that helps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

If you format the cards on your computer I recommend that you use SD Formatter which will format the cards to industry specs and not add any OS related files or structures which are often the cause of a camera not recognizing the card.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
07-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd recommend copying over your photos, then formatting the card in the camera or computer to see if that helps.
I did format them in the camera after the initial problem hit. But I still couldn't read either in either computer.

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you format the cards on your computer I recommend that you use SD Formatter which will format the cards to industry specs and not add any OS related files or structures which are often the cause of a camera not recognizing the card.

I can't format them in the computer as they don't even register that they exist. However, I hadn't thought about the other stuff a standard PC will "install" so I'll have to see if I can find that formatter.

07-10-2019, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Likely you have a driver or slot hardware failure on the laptop.
07-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Using the SD Formatter I reformatted one of the cards (the one that the computer registers as existing). I was able to import the two test photos to the computer from the memory card.

The other card still registers with the camera and displays some photos I took, but won't with the computer so I can't format it.

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Likely you have a driver or slot hardware failure on the laptop.
Always possible. The slot on the computer was able to read one of the two cards after I formatted it with the SD Formatter (and took a couple of test shots of course). That makes me think the computer is working.

The other card doesn't even register with the computer at all, but it does with the camera. I can review photos there anyway. I deleted two of the six photos that I had on it. Hoping that would somehow magically make it appear, I was disappointed.
07-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you can, try using a different SD card and see if you have the same problem with the computer reading the card.

07-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Another thing I'll add is that certain built-in card readers may be problematic, either due to bad drivers or the hardware itself. On my 2013 dell, the card reader will occasionally stop working after a card is ejected. It only comes back to life after a reboot, and only if no card is in the slot at that time. So, just something to double-check as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2019, 02:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I had similar problem with card reader on my old HP laptop. Problem was bad contact between SD slot hardware and the card. I used strip of carton above the SD card (first insert the card, then the strip) and it worked.
07-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

You might want to consider replacing the card that the computer won't read. It could be only a matter of time before the camera can't read it either.

Kirk B.
07-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #11

If you connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable does the "bad" card show on the computer? Try using SD Formatter now. Most likely it's a problem with the card but we still can't rule out the slot/reader on the computer. Trying another reader might help narrow down the problem.

Do you have another card reader? If not, how about a Costco or some other place that has DIY photo printing workstations. You can try the card out there.
07-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My computer does this on a regular basis. Sometimes I have to remove the card and reinsert it. Sometimes I have to restart my editing software. Sometimes I have to restart the computer. I've never had file I couldn't in the end load. Sometimes I can copy the files to the computer, and load into my software from the desktop when my software doesn't see it.This happens more with older cards. The original Scandisk I bought with my K-3 will rarely read on the first insert. Newer cards do better. It has to be some malfunction in the way the card makes contact with the computer. But your computer may be different. MIne is 9 years old and if stuff like this wasn't happening I'd be surprised. I think the contacts inside the computer are not as firm as they used to be, 9 years and thousands of inserts later.
07-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #13

Another thing: are you using SD or MicroSD cards? Ricoh advises not to use MicroSD cards. No reason given but probably because the adapters are problematic.
07-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What brand of SD card are you using?
07-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
Update. I bought a card reader and was able to read the card on the computer. Just in case, I also bought a SanDisk Extreme Plus SDXC UHS-I Card 128GB. I'll keep it in the camera case for emergencies.

Thanks all for responding!