Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM and Pentax K70

Hiya,

I've had this lens a while. Worked perfectly with both my old KX and K50. Recently bought a K70 and the K70 says 'no'.

I attach the lens, switch the K70 on and it effectively just freezes. The LCD is on but you can't do anything. Even if you turn power off on camera it stays on. Only way to resolve issue is to remove the lens or pull out battery.

I rechecked lens on my K50 and it still works perfectly.

I've contacted Pentax and they say it isn't their problem and to contact Sigma. Being an older lens I didn't think updating the firmware was that easy. Has anyone gone or had this issue with this lens? Would Sigma charge you update the lens firmware? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

07-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should definitely contact Sigma. I think they usually will update the lens firmware free of charge, or at a very low cost, since ultimately it's their fault that it causes newer cameras to freeze.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had this same problem when trying to use my Sigma 70-200 on my K-1. It would literally cause my camera to freeze in place (couldn't even change anything). Assuming that there isn't anything wrong with the HSM motor, they should be able to do it, free of charge (you do have to pay shipping = $25). I will say that when I tried to get them to update my firmware for my 70-200 HSM II, they initially told me that no longer service Pentax HSM lenses. I had to arrange it through one of their affiliates (in Canada, who was really great in arranging it with Sigma-USA folks), as they apparently are running low on supplies to do the mount switch, which is causing them to just tell people no. I would definitely contact Sigma first though.
07-12-2019, 01:18 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Original Poster
I have both the Pentax K50 and the K70. When I noted this problem on K70 I immediately tested the lens on the K50. The lens worked perfectly. As it should. No issues with the HSM. The lens isn't compatible with the K70.

I'm waiting on Sigma to respond to an email. Will see if they say anything. I'll be well upset if they say they don't support Pentax anymore.

---------- Post added 07-12-2019 at 09:22 AM ----------

A response from Sigma:

Morning Jacques,

*Sorry to hear you have an issue with your Sigma lens.

*Please go to*https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/repairs-support/*and follow the instructions for sending it to us for a firmware update that should resolve the issue.* We will do this for 14.99 to cover the return postage.

*Turn around time is about 1 week and we will contact you once received.

*Kind Regards

*Chris

SIGMA IMAGING UK LTD
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Herts
AL7 1EW

I guess that is fair enough?

07-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's nice to see that Sigma UK offers the same exemplary service available from Sigma USA.

My experience with Sigma USA was so good that I considered dropping Pentax in favor of a different system just so I could use more Sigma lenses. Their USA warranty center is near home, so I was able to make an appointment and they did the firmware and calibration for free while I waited. They are quick to respond to phone and email. I ultimately decided not to change systems, but Sigma was a strong temptation.
1 Day Ago   #6

Original Poster
Update: Sent lens to Sigma on Monday. Got it back with firmware upgrade and mount modification (apparently a known issue where it scratches camera body). Got it back Friday. Tested on K70. Working better than ever. No charge! Well done Sigma UK.

29 Minutes Ago   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaq1967 Quote
Update: Sent lens to Sigma on Monday. Got it back with firmware upgrade and mount modification (apparently a known issue where it scratches camera body). Got it back Friday. Tested on K70. Working better than ever. No charge! Well done Sigma UK.
I have heard about Sigma's extra-good customer service before, and it is great that they solved this issue for you! I am also glad because I have numerous Sigma lenses myself, and they do offer fine performance.