Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What do the negatives show at the points corresponding to the lines? A scratch??
I'll have to look at them again more closely, I don't think they are scratched, but the line is in the same place and I think can be seen on all frames, some more easily than others. I'll have to check on the slide film to see if it also has lines. Maybe I do have a small light leak?

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Bear in mind, if you find a second-hand replacement, it too may need servicing. The ME Super was produced from 1980 - 1987, so even the youngest of those is 32 years old by now. Things wear, lubricants dry, parts corrode, foam breaks down. IMHO, you're best off finding a good solid example (which it seems you already have) and getting it serviced.
That's a really good point. 30 years is a long time. I did change the light seals when I bought it, but I didn't open it up to oil or clean, I dare not!

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The electronics in mine were acting up. Plus, it needed new foam. Externally, near mint condition - but she was long due a service... They did everything - strip down, full CLA, swapped a corroded board out, cleaned the focus screen and mirror, new foam and seals
For 65 that sounds like really good value for money

07-22-2019, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Morning

I had a look on Gumtreee last week and came across this for 30. The body is in really good condition and seems to work fine, in that all the shutter speeds activate smoothly. No idea if the light meter is accurate but for now I'll assume it is. It just needed a bit of a clean with some isopropyl, and some new light seals. The appeture ring on the A lens wasn't working, but it turns out to be a common problem that is easily fixed. I have no idea if the flash is working yet, and the 28-70mm seems ok.

As for my previous misbehaving ME Super, I'll sit tight for now and if this new one dies, then I'll go down the CLA route.