Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

pentax ES sticky mirror when lens is set to auto

been battling this thing a few days now from sticky mirror with no lens and moved on to it freely moving with lens mounted switched to manual only.....however if the lens is set to auto it decides to stick once again whether a smc M42 (specific for this body) or any other M42 with A/M switch....maybe if I keep working it might come around....the shutter curtain has not been a problem it has traveled every single time

the other thing I noticed is the mount has a thin recessed area (inside the screws that mount towards the mirror box)..other M42 bodies do not have this recessed part of the ring or it is not as wide......so the secondary tiny little pin that allows the lens to switch between manual & auto is not depressed when mounted....no way to switch from one to the other....its annoying to remove the lens and hold the tiny button to switch back to manual.....don't have this issue with other M42 bodies I grabbed to check this out switching back n forth from auto to manual....reckon this is in particular to the smc m42 lenses (think I only have 2 ~ 50/f1.4, 55/f1.8)

07-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
the other thing I noticed is the mount has a thin recessed area (inside the screws that mount towards the mirror box)…..other M42 bodies do not have this recessed part of the ring or it is not as wide......so the secondary tiny little pin that allows the lens to switch between manual & auto is not depressed when mounted....no way to switch from one to the other....its annoying to remove the lens and hold the tiny button to switch back to manual.....don't have this issue with other M42 bodies I grabbed to check this out switching back n forth from auto to manual....reckon this is in particular to the smc m42 lenses (think I only have 2 ~ 50/f1.4, 55/f1.8)
That is intentional. You can damage an ES or SP F if you mount an S-M-C or SMC lens while it is set to M. That is why the locking pin exists...
07-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
been battling this thing a few days now from sticky mirror with no lens and moved on to it freely moving with lens mounted switched to manual only.....however if the lens is set to auto it decides to stick once again whether a smc M42 (specific for this body) or any other M42 with A/M switch....maybe if I keep working it might come around....the shutter curtain has not been a problem it has traveled every single time
Your camera is in need of service.

the other thing I noticed is the mount has a thin recessed area (inside the screws that mount towards the mirror box)…..other M42 bodies do not have this recessed part of the ring or it is not as wide......so the secondary tiny little pin that allows the lens to switch between manual & auto is not depressed when mounted....no way to switch from one to the other....its annoying to remove the lens and hold the tiny button to switch back to manual.....don't have this issue with other M42 bodies I grabbed to check this out switching back n forth from auto to manual....reckon this is in particular to the smc m42 lenses (think I only have 2 ~ 50/f1.4, 55/f1.8)
This is the expected behavior and is required for proper operation of the open aperture metering feature of your camera.* The rule is to ignore the Auto/Man switch on your SMC/S-M-C lenses when used on the ES with the switch to be left in the "Auto" position. The Spotmatic ES manual discusses this behavior on page 15 and a few other places. The manual is available for free download (password is "Pentax") from:

Pentax Manuals | M42 Screwfit Manuals

Steve

* The recessed area of the mount face is found on the Spotmatic F, ES, ES II, and Electro Spotmatic models.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-21-2019 at 04:25 PM.
07-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can damage an ES or SP F if you mount an S-M-C or SMC lens while it is set to M.
...or at least the metering will be way off.

Steve

07-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can damage an ES or SP F if you mount an S-M-C or SMC lens while it is set to M.
this could be the creator of the problem with the mirror....thanks for the info Boris

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The rule is to ignore the Auto/Man switch on your SMC/S-M-C lenses when used on the ES with the switch to be left in the "Auto" position
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The recessed area of the mount face is found on the Spotmatic F, ES, ES II, and Electro Spotmatic models.
this good to know thanks Steve

the metering has seemed appropriate with lenses in manual position or a preset lens in the automatic mode....reckon its still useable but not entirely as intended with total automation...….suppose I can keep my fingers crossed that it will eventually cooperate as it should
07-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
found this (believe there is a video of the same as well) and it worked!! have full automation! thanks for the heads up to have the smc lens switched to auto....believe that and this 'repair' will stick (ha!) with me for a good long time!!

appreciate ya guys so much for all the help you provide.....

How to Fix a Ceased/"stuck" Mirror on a Pentax ES Spotmatic: 8 Steps