Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still don't know what this has to do with skin tones, by the way

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-28-2019 at 05:23 AM.
07-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep that is red. And beautifully handled.
07-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More red.

And really pushing the red spectrum.

07-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
What is your custom image set to
and what is your white balance set to.
EDIT ps welcome to the forum
And further, what light are you shooting under ?

---------- Post added 07-28-19 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Use Adobe RGB as your primary color space. Adobe RGB give some extra headroom for the red tones not to be compressed as much as with sRGB.
This assumes the OP is familiar with colour spaces and converting the image back to sRGB before posting online.

07-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelSt Quote
I use a Pentax K3. It seems to have a default preset which over-saturates REDS. This is particularly noticeable with skin tones, which makes every face seem very florid. Of course, I can correct this readily in Photoshop, but I was hoping someone here might guide me into how to reduce red saturation levels in the camera itself. Thank you.
In camera (for JPGs) the options are limited compared to full desktop processing. What you can do is:
  1. Press the info button when selecting a WB method and fine tune it. Red is on the lower right corner, so you can work against red by shifting WB to the top left corner (G7/B7).
  2. Select a custom image option where the hexagonal radar chart shows the green lines for red relatively close to the center (portrait, muted, flat). You do not want a mode that actually pushes the reds.
Read this here: How do you optimize the finishing-touch settings for portraits? / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING It gives pretty extensive suggestions for portrait shooting in JPG.
07-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelSt Quote
I use a Pentax K3. It seems to have a default preset which over-saturates REDS. This is particularly noticeable with skin tones, which makes every face seem very florid. Of course, I can correct this readily in Photoshop, but I was hoping someone here might guide me into how to reduce red saturation levels in the camera itself. Thank you.
If you are shooing maximum-quality JPEG images, simply go to the Custom Image menus and switch from the default "Bright" category to the "Natural" category, which is better for skin tones. This provides a different color palette balance along with less contrast. Sharpness is also reduced by one notch, as in the "Bright" category it is increased by one notch by default. Within each category you can also adjust various parameters if you wish to experiment.