Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
produce black frames?
I would call it black screen of death but it has been a while since I have used those cameras. I can't say which camera or under what circumstance for sure but I seem to remember software crash or glitch resulting in black images. That was not a common glitch if I recall. Rebooting the camera was always the best recourse. I used them to shoot autocross and wore them out in about 12 months; plus or minus 100,000 clicks. That is when I switched to the K3's. They were supposed to last longer. My k-30 got retired at 65,000 clicks to be serviced for sporadic power outages/shutdowns (under warranty). I don't remember them doing anything other than adjustments and software updates. It was at about 130,000 clicks at last check and retired from heavy usage. Its the one I hand my husband when he needs a camera.

07-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't know what caused it, but it doesn't look good to me.
08-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jane Quote
Yes HPDE. I practically live at this track and have never experienced this before. With the talk of magnetic fields, would a radio station transition antenna cause this type of interference? The track office is home to a local rock station. I have used 2 different SD cards to experience this problem. The cards that were in the camera at the time were moved to the spare along with the battery and made it thru the rest of the day fine. I placed my spare SD card and battery in the affected camera and produced the shot that I posted. I reformatted the cards that were in the affected camera before using them. I needed the cards. I did bring a spare with me just in case.

---------- Post added 07-29-19 at 04:08 PM ----------

I did have it switched off and then on again. Along with pulling the battery. Always my first line of defense. The SD cards were moved to the spare camera and worked fine. A different card and battery were used to produce the posted photo which I still have. So that leaves me with electromagnetic interference or internal failure.

I will be more vigilant should this happen again. I had another thought. Although nothing having changed in the way I kept or stored my equipment, my car battery is in my trunk and sits close to my camera bag. How much electromagnetic interference is necessary to cause this type of problem?
It's pretty unlikely the trunk situation caused the issue. A nearby radio station is a possible culprit, but since you swapped out cards and the issue repeated, it sound's like the camera was at fault (a bug of sorts). Are the towers for the radio station nearby? If they are located off-site, then it probably isn't the station though radio and television stations are hotbeds for interference (wireless mics, all kinds of electronic equipment running, computers, etc.) Note if the issue resurfaces at other locations. Actually if this issue happens more than about three times, I would send it in for a look-see (along with examples of the issue).
08-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
It's pretty unlikely the trunk situation caused the issue. A nearby radio station is a possible culprit, but since you swapped out cards and the issue repeated, it sound's like the camera was at fault (a bug of sorts). Are the towers for the radio station nearby? If they are located off-site, then it probably isn't the station though radio and television stations are hotbeds for interference (wireless mics, all kinds of electronic equipment running, computers, etc.) Note if the issue resurfaces at other locations. Actually if this issue happens more than about three times, I would send it in for a look-see (along with examples of the issue).
I will be at different venues this weekend but back at the track the following week. That gives me opportunity to try and sort some of this. I am around all sorts of walkies and the racers all have transponders. I am puzzled at why this has not happened before. Perhaps just right time right place.

Thank you

08-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I will be at different venues this weekend but back at the track the following week. That gives me opportunity to try and sort some of this. I am around all sorts of walkies and the racers all have transponders. I am puzzled at why this has not happened before. Perhaps just right time right place.

Thank you
That makes it more likely that it's a glitch in the camera and not something external. How many times has this happened on separate occasions now? If only one time, then it probably was just a rare glitch and may not show up again.
08-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #21

Original Poster
That makes it more likely that it's a glitch in the camera and not something external. How many times has this happened on separate occasions now? If only one time, then it probably was just a rare glitch and may not show up again.
I turned it on before I left the house this weekend and found the same pink screen. So I left it behind this weekend. I think this is permanent damage. I am going to play with it some more before I send it in for a formal diagnosis. On that note, I am wondering what to replace it with since the K3ii is discontinued and Ricoh has not released a comparable replacement yet. Should I go for another used one? Might this one be worth repairing? My spare only has about 140,000 clicks on its second shutter.
08-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I turned it on before I left the house this weekend and found the same pink screen. So I left it behind this weekend. I think this is permanent damage. I am going to play with it some more before I send it in for a formal diagnosis. On that note, I am wondering what to replace it with since the K3ii is discontinued and Ricoh has not released a comparable replacement yet. Should I go for another used one? Might this one be worth repairing? My spare only has about 140,000 clicks on its second shutter.
Before packing it in, try reflashing the firmware and see if that has any effect.

What action you take really depends on how much you like this camera and how much you're willing to spend. A used replacement could be a good option if you like your camera's features and want to stick with that model, but it might be time for an upgrade as long as you're about to retire it (assuming a cure doesn't come along). It might be worth getting a repair estimate - you can always say no. Try pricing your camera on the used market and see what is available at what cost and then you will have a better perspective on replacement.
08-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #23

Original Poster
Before packing it in, try reflashing the firmware and see if that has any effect.

What action you take really depends on how much you like this camera and how much you're willing to spend. A used replacement could be a good option if you like your camera's features and want to stick with that model, but it might be time for an upgrade as long as you're about to retire it (assuming a cure doesn't come along). It might be worth getting a repair estimate - you can always say no. Try pricing your camera on the used market and see what is available at what cost and then you will have a better perspective on replacement.
I updated the firmware a few months ago to use the newer PLM zoom. I will see if I can learn about reflashing firmware. I have two techies in the house who probably have done this on some device. Although, I doubt they've played with a camera much. It just seems like a sign of things to come. I have gotten a lot of useful advice here and have a few new things to check out this coming week then back to the track next week.

Thank You!