Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mid South
Posts: 117
Pink photos

This weekend I was shooting an HPDE with my Pentax K3ii. Saturday went with out issue, however my first photo on Sunday morning resulted in pink photos. (see example attached) Almost solid pink with a few highlights. After several repetitive clicks and no resolve, I ran for my back up camera. This morning I locked the mirror up just to see if anything looked odd, but nothing did. I turned the camera off and on again. Want ever I did seemed to unstick what ever might have been stuck. Normal images have returned. I would like to know what caused this so that I can remedy it in the future or does it need to go in for repair?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 87
how long do you use this camera? if the warranty has not expired, it is better to check with the service center
07-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mid South
Posts: 117
Original Poster
I bought it used about a year ago. I have not had any problems with it until now. it is no longer under warranty.
07-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,590
Could be a faulty sd card, unless there's a certain way to tell it's the camera.

07-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mid South
Posts: 117
Original Poster
SD card Battery and lens all got moved to another K3ii with out issue. The problem is in the camera.
07-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,519
QuoteOriginally posted by Jane Quote
my first photo on Sunday morning resulted in pink photos. (see example attached) Almost solid pink with a few highlights.
I would like to know what caused this so that I can remedy it in the future or does it need to go in for repair?
Your sensor produces a red, green, and blue channel. The "pink" is actually magenta which means during the anomaly, only the red and blue channel were working and the green wasn't. I would guess it was a glitch in one of the chips and hopefully not a soldering issue that needs repair.

The last significant solar storm was on July 10 and that can cause these sort of mysterious gremlins, as well as local sources of electromagnetic interference. In other words, just avoid storing or putting your camera down next to electrical wiring or anything with big magnets (like a speaker).

Solar activity | SpaceWeatherLive.com
EMF Worst Offenders
07-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mid South
Posts: 117
Original Poster
I am following you on the sensor color separation and possible chip glitch, and find the electromagnetic or wiring thought to be interesting, however storage and venue are consistent in their frequency and with out past issues. Definitely a Gremlin! I welcome all possibilities...
07-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,978
QuoteOriginally posted by Jane Quote
This weekend I was shooting an HPDE with my Pentax K3ii
High Performance Driver's Education?

As for your problem, the traditional cause for similar issues on this site has been a bad/corrupted SD card followed by a system board failure somewhere in the image processing flow. As noted above, proximity to strong magnetic fields or being struck by a cosmic ray are other options. If it happens again, a diagnostic test by a service shop might provide an answer.


Steve

07-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 834
It's pretty difficult to point to the exact issue unless the problem resurfaces. There are a good number of possible causes but since the problem was transient, you might never know what caused it. I wouldn't worry unless the problem occurs again in the near future, and if it does, try the following one-at -a-time checking the problem each time:

1) Switching camera off and back on.

2) Remove and reinsert the SD card (note if the bad frame still appears bad on preview looking at the original SD card).

3) Remove the battery and reinsert a fresh one.

4) Move your mode dial and then return to the same location.

5) Take a photo (if you haven't already done so) and see if it appears this way when the SD card is put in a computer or reader connected to a display.

If one of these fixes the issue, you'll probably have to wait until the next time to see if the same action works again.

In any case, if this happens three times, it's probably time for a trip to the repair shop and be sure to send a copy of a photo with the issue (which you should have gotten in step 5 above).

Chances are, you may never see this happen again and then again it may have already happened by the time you read this. Transient issues are the hardest to analyze unless one has prior knowledge of a particular failure causing the described problem.
07-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mid South
Posts: 117
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
High Performance Driver's Education?

As for your problem, the traditional cause for similar issues on this site has been a bad/corrupted SD card followed by a system board failure somewhere in the image processing flow. As noted above, proximity to strong magnetic fields or being struck by a cosmic ray are other options. If it happens again, a diagnostic test by a service shop might provide an answer.


Steve
Yes HPDE. I practically live at this track and have never experienced this before. With the talk of magnetic fields, would a radio station transition antenna cause this type of interference? The track office is home to a local rock station. I have used 2 different SD cards to experience this problem. The cards that were in the camera at the time were moved to the spare along with the battery and made it thru the rest of the day fine. I placed my spare SD card and battery in the affected camera and produced the shot that I posted. I reformatted the cards that were in the affected camera before using them. I needed the cards. I did bring a spare with me just in case.

---------- Post added 07-29-19 at 04:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
It's pretty difficult to point to the exact issue unless the problem resurfaces. There are a good number of possible causes but since the problem was transient, you might never know what caused it. I wouldn't worry unless the problem occurs again in the near future, and if it does, try the following one-at -a-time checking the problem each time:

1) Switching camera off and back on.
2) Remove and reinsert the SD card (note if the bad frame still appears bad on preview looking at the original SD card).
3) Remove the battery and reinsert a fresh one.
4) Move your mode dial and then return to the same location.
5) Take a photo (if you haven't already done so) and see if it appears this way when the SD card is put in a computer or reader connected to a display.
If one of these fixes the issue, you'll probably have to wait until the next time to see if the same action works again.
In any case, if this happens three times, it's probably time for a trip to the repair shop and be sure to send a copy of a photo with the issue (which you should have gotten in step 5 above).
Chances are, you may never see this happen again and then again it may have already happened by the time you read this. Transient issues are the hardest to analyze unless one has prior knowledge of a particular failure causing the described problem.
I did have it switched off and then on again. Along with pulling the battery. Always my first line of defense. The SD cards were moved to the spare camera and worked fine. A different card and battery were used to produce the posted photo which I still have. So that leaves me with electromagnetic interference or internal failure.

I will be more vigilant should this happen again. I had another thought. Although nothing having changed in the way I kept or stored my equipment, my car battery is in my trunk and sits close to my camera bag. How much electromagnetic interference is necessary to cause this type of problem?
07-29-2019, 11:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,880
Random bugs and glitches can happen with devices for seemingly no reason. Even the background radiation can cause such things. If it doesn't happen again it's not something to worry about.
07-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,519
QuoteOriginally posted by Jane Quote
With the talk of magnetic fields, would a radio station transition antenna cause this type of interference? The track office is home to a local rock station.[COLOR="Silver"]

I had another thought. Although nothing having changed in the way I kept or stored my equipment, my car battery is in my trunk and sits close to my camera bag. How much electromagnetic interference is necessary to cause this type of problem?
Yes, AM, FM, and even short wave antenna transmitters create electro magnetic radiation which depending on the power and your proximity to it, will cause "interference". There are many factors and I don't know the measurable numbers where x amount of radiation would affect a CMOS sensor or the microprocessor or the memory card.

Car batteries are DC and do not create an EMF, but if there is an electric motor in the back near the trunk, it would.
07-30-2019, 03:00 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 87
I understand that now everything is in order, the future will show ... maybe everything will be fine in the next
maybe it was a one-time camera processor error

At first I thought: wow! pink square! by analogy with Malevich’s “black square” (and I had this “black square” - a K-30 malfunction, which I, fortunately, got rid of), but it turned out that this masterpiece was released by the camera itself!
07-30-2019, 05:07 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mid South
Posts: 117
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all knowledge and advice. I know I have experienced many software glitches and hardware failures in my Pentax days and I can now add pink squares to the list. I will sit tight and make sure I always have spares in safe reach. I have another busy weekend ahead.

---------- Post added 07-30-19 at 07:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
I understand that now everything is in order, the future will show ... maybe everything will be fine in the next
maybe it was a one-time camera processor error

At first I thought: wow! pink square! by analogy with Malevich’s “black square” (and I had this “black square” - a K-30 malfunction, which I, fortunately, got rid of), but it turned out that this masterpiece was released by the camera itself!
I still have a retired K-30, 4 K-50's I have seen it all. Or at least I thought I had!
07-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by Jane Quote
I still have a retired K-30, 4 K-50's I have seen it all.
produce black frames?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, card, cards, cause, interference, issue, k-30, morning, pentax help, photo, photography, photos, sd, time, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AI Can Now Fix Your Grainy Photos by Only Looking at Grainy Photos interested_observer Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 08-30-2018 02:39 PM
Nature A Pink and Yellow Rose Kind Of Day. Tonytee Post Your Photos! 6 08-01-2018 09:41 AM
Nature Pink.... and all alone Dewman Post Your Photos! 8 05-18-2018 03:30 AM
Nature Think Pink eaglem Post Your Photos! 5 02-14-2018 06:03 PM
Nature Awesome Pink Rose. Tonytee Post Your Photos! 2 01-14-2018 04:03 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top