Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

K50 Under Exposure in View Finder Mode

I just added a Ricoh Pentax 55 - 300 mm lense. Went out on the lake to shoot the loones. All pictures are almost black, under exposed.
I have tried changing several settings. The only thing that has worked is to shoot in live view mode. This is the same for all of my lenses. I alway shoot in auto setting and sometimes manual focus.
Any suggestions.

08-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a common fault in k-30 and k-50, bad solinoid controling apeturelevel.
There is a lot of descriptions in the forum.
It is easy to repair if you can do it yourself and have an old Pentax camera you can take the solinoid from.
Erik
08-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hmmm... That is weird. Sounds like the dreaded aperture motor issue, but then you say that it works perfectly fine in live view. Could be something else.

Pentax K-30 & K-50 - PentaxForums.com

^ Visit this section & take a look at the threads. You might find one that will give you an idea.
08-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say you just added a 55-300mm lens- do you get this underexposure now with your other lens(es)?

08-13-2019, 03:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Which 55-300?
08-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You say you just added a 55-300mm lens- do you get this underexposure now with your other lens(es)?
Yes the problem is consistent with all 3 of my lenses. It must be coinsidental that it started with new lense.
08-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Which 55-300?
Ricoh HD Pentax DA 55-300
f4.5 -6.3 ED PLM WR RE From Adorama.

08-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Whitfield Quote
Ricoh HD Pentax DA 55-300
f4.5 -6.3 ED PLM WR RE From Adorama.
Did you update your firmware to the latest version prior to using this lens?
08-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Ah! Maybe you need the latest V1.10 firmware update to get it to work, since that lens is a newer KAF4 design.

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ Go there.
08-13-2019, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But they said it was consistent with all 3 of their lenses, so the firmware revision wouldn't matter. I can think of 2 potential problems... the light/exposure sensor in the bottom of the sensor box, or the aperature solenoid. If your other 2 lenses have aperature rings, set the camera up to use aperature ring operation, and test exposures by using manual aperture. If doing so results in proper images, try a lens without manual aperature operation and see if problem resumes. If so, then it's aperature failure. If manual aperature does not solve the issue, then light sensor is suspect.
08-14-2019, 02:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if it should be a faulty solenoid, after updating the firmware the PLM should work correctly.
08-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Even if it should be a faulty solenoid, after updating the firmware the PLM should work correctly.
If this is true and the PLM lens will expose correctly, this should prove the camera has the well-known solenoid aperture failure. The fact it began after the new lens arrived is simply coincidence.
08-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Ah! Maybe you need the latest V1.10 firmware update to get it to work, since that lens is a newer KAF4 design.

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ Go there.
I just finished the firmware update.
No change. Works in live view does not work in view finder mode.
Now the question is, Do I trash it and upgrade or send it in for service?

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
But they said it was consistent with all 3 of their lenses, so the firmware revision wouldn't matter. I can think of 2 potential problems... the light/exposure sensor in the bottom of the sensor box, or the aperature solenoid. If your other 2 lenses have aperature rings, set the camera up to use aperature ring operation, and test exposures by using manual aperture. If doing so results in proper images, try a lens without manual aperature operation and see if problem resumes. If so, then it's aperature failure. If manual aperature does not solve the issue, then light sensor is suspect.
No apature rings on any of the 3 lenses. Tried an old lens from my 35mm but could not get a shutter response. Probably don't know what I'm doing.
08-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Whitfield Quote
Works in live view does not work in view finder mode.
Herein is the detail that matters and which indicates a probable metering problem when using the optical viewfinder. My suggestion is to do a simple test:
  • Camera on tripod or other stationary surface so as to keep framing consistent
  • Av mode (suggest f/5.6)
  • Matrix metering
  • Fixed ISO (suggest 400)
  • Exposure Compensation set to 0
  • No filters
  • Using the optical viewfinder, do an exposure of an evenly-lit white wall. Take care that the wall fills the frame and is evenly-lit throughout with no shadows or obvious bright spots. (It may help to switch to manual focus.)
  • Repeat using Live View without change to any of the settings or camera position or focal length or focus
The shutter speeds for the two exposures should be the same or very close to the same, indicating both metering systems measured similar light from the wall. Live View metering is considered to be the more reliable of the two.

Steve
08-15-2019, 02:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the test that @stevebrot posted above (try another run metering through the viewfinder, but block the viewfinder itself with something so that no light can get in there) still turns out with the same result:

Some dust could be on the metering sensor (which sits in the pentaprism housing?!). I don't know how easy it is to get there with a rocket blower, but you could try it. Mirror not in lock-up mode and gently squeeze some wind to the top.