Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #1

K3 video stabilisation bug

Hi folks,

I'm not used to filming a lot with my K3 as... it's really not pentax' greatest feature. But I thought I'd give it a shot with a tele lens: DA* 300 mm f/4. And I got this TERRIBLE jerky result:

Any idea of what's going on? To my knowledge, the sensor stabilisation is off during video recording.

Cheers!

08-19-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check you're framerate and shutterspeed. Use 25 fps with a fixed shutterspeed of 1/50 or 30fps with 1/60. And there is a software based stabilisation for video. Check if that is set to off.
08-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Check you're framerate and shutterspeed. Use 25 fps with a fixed shutterspeed of 1/50 or 30fps with 1/60. And there is a software based stabilisation for video. Check if that is set to off.
Thanks Fries 🙂 Couldn't check the shutters speed as it's not written into the exifs. But without ND filter, I couldn't do much anyways.
Stab was set to on, obviously. I always leave it on, even on tripod.
08-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As far as I know stabilization is disabled during video.

08-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
As far as I know stabilization is disabled during video.
No, the old(er) models used mechanical sensor stabilisation but it was replaced by software stabilisation for noise issues. I don't remember exactly when was the tipping point, but I'm confident the K3 and later models use software stabilisation.
08-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
No, the old(er) models used mechanical sensor stabilisation but it was replaced by software stabilisation for noise issues. I don't remember exactly when was the tipping point, but I'm confident the K3 and later models use software stabilisation.
This true, though your results are not due to stabilization quirks. As noted above, proper settings would likely have resulted in better results. (Hint...ND filter is not a help here.) Question? Is the video composed of multiple clips or is the branch being jerked around by the water?

Steve
08-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, proper settings would likely have resulted in better results. (Hint...ND filter is not a help here.)
Like... ?

Question? Is the video composed of multiple clips or is the branch being jerked around by the water?

Steve
Neither of them! The branch was lying quietly in the water and the lens was sturdily mounted on a tripod. That's why I'm talking about a stabilization issue. I'm not talking about the limited cinematographic interest if this clip but about the image jumping around from left to right from one frame to another.
08-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You should almost always disable SR in video mode with the K-3, because the camera doesn't offer mechanical stabilization and only offers the poor electronic solution, which can result in the nasty side effects you're seeing (especially when the camera is already stabilized by a tripod or monopod).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That's why I'm talking about a stabilization issue.

Electronic stabilization is driven by inertia and detected by an array of microgyros on the main board. Movement within the frame will not trigger video SR on the K-3 (I just checked). I just reviewed your clip and there is a general upward drift* of the frame from start to finish with a much smaller leftward drift. also. The branch is moving quite a bit throughout the clip (is floating), but the jerking motion and frame shift affects the rocks visible on the stream bed too. If it were my clip, I would suspect the head was not fully secure and may have been assisted by a breeze. Were you using suspended weight from the tripod?

To my knowledge, the sensor stabilisation is off during video recording.
I always leave it on, even on tripod.
Let's just assume we don't know if it was on. Video SR is set separately from still photo SR with the setting retained between sessions and power cycles.

Steve

* ...meaning that the subject is drifting downward

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2019 at 08:54 PM.
08-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have to switch SR (electronic or mechanical) off when a camera's on a tripod, Azergoth!
08-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suggest that you look at your focus mode in LV. (pg 46 in the manual)
Focus mode set to "Tracking"
"Tracks the subject in focus.
The shutter can be released even if the subject is not in focus"

I propose that the camera is seeing the water and focusing on its movements, therefore giving the "jerky" motion which is remarkably synchronized with the "flow".

A suggestion, not a end all, but change the focus mode in LV.
08-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I propose that the camera is seeing the water and focusing on its movements, therefore giving the "jerky" motion which is remarkably synchronized with the "flow".
There is no active AF when doing video on the K-3.

Steve
08-19-2019, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Have to switch SR (electronic or mechanical) off when a camera's on a tripod, Azergoth!
I wondered about whether the rule applies to electronic SR. I did a couple of clips with my K-3 and there was no SR artifact that I could see with camera on my heavier tripod. I changed to a longer lens (very heavy 70-210/3.5 Tamron 19AH), unbalanced on head, and physically thumped on the tripod legs and was unable to get the frame to jump. I don't know how things might be with a lighter tripod at full extension or with the legs set in a moving stream, however.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2019 at 08:55 PM.
08-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But I thought I'd give it a shot with a tele lens: DA* 300 mm f/4.
Is this the same DA* 300mm that you are using a piece of foil on as a temporary power contact until the replacement part comes?

Steve
08-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is no active AF when doing video on the K-3.
Steve
Really, AF changing all the time is a bug-a-boo in the few times I have attempted video on my K-3II. One of the reasons that I really don't like shooting video due to the focus slowly shifting. Your mileage may vary.

To each their own, the least the OP could do is to check and see if in LV he has "tracking" enabled. To me it appears that the sensor is locked onto the highlights of the water - moving left to right.

Edit:
From: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-review/video-mode.html#ixzz5x75X2X7k

"The K-3 will autofocus during recording whenever you press and hold the AF button. The focusing is very slow (likely to keep audible noise levels down) and tends to hunt with longer lenses"

Last edited by PDL; 08-19-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Bingoole is our friend