Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
So when I took the camera out with Sigma 30mm f1.4 in the night time to almost replicate the situation, I found again the same problem. Then I removed the AF Fine Adjustment I did during calibration and that was it. No calibration was the solution for the problem. I must concede that there was the part of my erratic correction/adjustment of the camera, the lens did work as per its maximum capacity. Sorry Sigma 30mm lens, I doubted you , it was my fault.

Just to explore the results without any calibration, I am sharing the photos below with you.

The first photo (handheld) of the fountain in front of the colourful buildings, you can see that it has the same focusing issue, especially if you see the orange building with tiled corner, the lines are totally unfocussed.

The second photo of the same scene without AF Fine Adjustment, everything is absolutely (almost) perfect as expected from handheld photography.

From the third till the seventh photo, handheld photos of the ice-cream shop, only the aperture was changed from 1.8 till 2.8. It gives the results I expected. (any problems if you see, do kindly discuss).

From the eighth till the twelfth photo, tripod mounted camera photos, again the aperture changed from 1.8 till 2.8. Nothing mysterious, all results as expected. (any problems if you see, do kindly discuss).

Then at home after doing some minor calibration again, I took photos handheld with this toy and found that the calibration didn't required that much AF fine adjustment rather than a factor of +1. Though I must say that even with tripod or handheld at f2.8 the camera mostly missed the focus (always center point) pointed at the left ear in the photo of the toy.

Misfocusing is a known fact but at least the lens is behaving as it should, again I would definitely concede my fault here. My ultimate question then does this misfocusing is also shown by high end APS-C DSLRs of Pentax? Is it worth changing the body now when it is clear that all lenses that I have are perfect for my needs?

Thank you all for your kind help and I do appreciate the critiques and suggestions I got through this thread. A great learning opportunity. Thank you

Last edited by haroon88; 12-10-2019 at 05:09 AM.
08-25-2019, 04:49 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haroon88 Quote

Misfocusing is a known fact but at least the lens is behaving as it should, again I would definitely concede my fault here. My ultimate question then does this misfocusing is also shown by high end APS-C DSLRs of Pentax? Is it worth changing the body now when it is clear that all lenses that I have are perfect for my needs?

?

Haroon, you've already said there was nothing wrong with the camera, you admitted you botched the microadjustment calibration.

08-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Haroon, you've already said there was nothing wrong with the camera, you admitted you botched the microadjustment calibration.
Yes. Previously I blamed the lens but it was just the adjustment that made the problem. I admitted it. Previously when I did the micro adjustments, I had given a value of more than +4 but now it is just +1.
08-25-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Glad you got to the bottom of this! the handheld pictures you posted are lovely, keep up the good work.

08-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haroon88 Quote
Thanks to all my pentaxian friends for their very kind info/critiques/suggestions above. I would reply to particular questions below. Then a surprise problem and its easy solution is mentioned in the following post which for me is strange and funny.

Well to answer your kind questions, I'll reply in sequence to the questions: It is Focus priority always. Also AF-S always for focusing the shots. Spot focus as well in which then I can tell the camera to focus the object. I always focus with the shutter button half pressed and I keep it half pressed for at least one second and steadily continue to fully press it to take the shot. Yes I wait for the AF confirmation.

More or less according to your suggestion, I have done some testing and in the following post I am going to share the results.

Just to get myself as well clarified that if my handheld photography technique is flawed, I found some photos of my trip to Melbourne which were handheld, when I say handheld, I mean that no tripod is used. So in different ways (like placing the camera and pressing the shutter button without timer etc) I have shot some photos which I am sharing here. They did remove the doubt that I was having that probably my handheld technique has to be corrected or not!
Very nice.