Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Lenses

Hello, I'm new at this, my first camera was the pentax k50, and I have never taken any photography courses, so I take landscapes and stuff nothing serious but I do enjoy it a lot.... i also only take Manual, well what i need help with is this, my gf gave me a k1 mark ii and it is my first full frame, I was wondering what are the 3 or 2 lenses you guys would recommend?

08-19-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 19pof71 Quote
i also only take Manual
Manual Focus? If you are comfortable with this, and like to experiment, the legacy lenses (SMC Pentax, Pentax-M, Pentax-A) are great and very inexpensive. You do landscapes, the Pentax-M 28mm/2.8 is a nice wide lens, and can be acquired for less than $50.

Check samples in these threads:

The K-Club! - PentaxForums.com

The M Club! - PentaxForums.com

The A Club - PentaxForums.com

I'll let other forum members speak about newer lenses, as I only have film era glass.
08-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello, I'm new at this, my first camera was the pentax k50, and I have never taken any photography courses, so I take landscapes and stuff nothing serious but I do enjoy it a lot.... i also only take Manual, well what i need help with is this, my gf gave me a k1 mark ii and it is my first full frame, I was wondering what are the 3 or 2 lenses you guys would recommend?
Your girlfriend sounds like a very clever lady!

I like to shoot manual too. I have a number of lenses I like on the K-1: The A-50mm F1.7 Also, I have a Zeiss 50mm lens that renders beautifully. Not manual, but I rather like the SMC-F 35-70mm which some people refer to as "a bunch of primes".
08-19-2019, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

You already got some good advice If the budget permits, consider the Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses. They are all FF. Among the CZ and VL that I own, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is special. It gives superb IQ and is truly outstanding, even in poor lighting conditions. If I was to keep only one lens, I would likely keep my VL58mm f1.4.

My 5 cents....

08-19-2019, 11:12 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Take a look at the Pentax 28-105mm lens. It is a nice range walk around lens and performs well.

It is not a budget breaker.
08-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you have the money, the FA31, FA43 and FA77 are THE prime lenses to own. They are auto focus though.

In manual focus, the K28/f2 has an amazing reputation and a price to match.

For an inexpensive lens, the 55/1.8 has no equal for the price. Either Takumar screw mount or K mount version. The F2 version is the same lens with an aperture limiter.

Last edited by Kozlok; 08-20-2019 at 04:56 AM.
08-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

What lenses do/did you use on K50. What do you expect from a lens?
Zoom
AF
Large aperture

08-20-2019, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #8

Second the 28-105, it's relatively cheap second hand because it's sometimes sold as a kit lens, and overall good quality and performance, unmatched for size and weight and price.
08-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you have the money, the FA31, FA43 and FA77 are THE prime lenses to own. They are auto focus though. . . ..
although designed as auto focus, you can still use them as manual focus lenses

the Limits do have quite a reputation

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

be advised that should you choose to get one

you may want others

since the OP lives in the US, there is an option of trying to rent lenses before deciding what to buy:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...#ixzz5x8smd5GU
08-20-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Any F-series lens. Not pretty but best bang for buck.

Seb
08-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

... my gf gave me a k1 mark ii and it is my first full frame...
Can I get her phone number???!!!
08-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

M series 28mm f/3.5 is what I've used for landscapes in the ff film era. But any of 28mm pentax lenses would do nicely.
08-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you have the money, the FA31, FA43 and FA77 are THE prime lenses to own. They are auto focus though.

In manual focus, the K28/f2 has an amazing reputation and a price to match.

For an inexpensive lens, the 55/1.8 has no equal for the price. Either Takumar screw mount or K mount version. The F2 version is the same lens with an aperture limiter.
I absolutely agree. My first set of lenses for my first K1.
08-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Can I get her phone number???!!!
Seriously

I assume that you do have a budget beyond the 50 dollar lenses that have been suggested, but as a hobbyist, probably not enough to warrant for pro level lenses (meaning over one or two thousand dollars per lens...).

So here's some suggestions...

To start, the DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. This will cost you about $500 (assuming you are in the US), and will be your carry-everywhere lens. It will give you a moderate wide angle (28mm) to short telephoto (105mm) and cover a lot of situations you will encounter.

Next, the question is, how wide do you want to go for your landscapes? Here's some options wider than 28mm:

- Pentax 20mm f/2.8 - this lens is not so common but can be found used. There's an A version (manual focus) and an FA version (autofocus). They both will cost about the same - some 450 to 600 dollars depending on how pristine the copy looks like.

- Samyang makes some great primes, but they are all manual focus, which you seem to be ok with (assuming by manual you mean manual focus). They are: 24mm f/1.4, which will cost you about $470; the 20mm f/1.8, costing about $470 as well, and the 24mm f/2.8 which is about $250. All 3 are considered very good lenses but you should test them when you receive as there are a few reports of decentered copies out there (these are prices for new lenses, so if you receive a defective lens, just send it f or a replacement).

- There's also some older and affordable discontinued wide angle zooms that can still give you very good results for landscapes, meaning you shoot from f/8 and smaller apertures (f/8 to f/22, though usually f/22 is to be avoided because of diffraction). They are: the Tamron and Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (right now I can't find any for sale anywhere but they should be in the $200-300 range when one does show up in the used market); and the Tokina/Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 which is a bit easier to find in the used market, and these sell for about $100 and up. The Tokina version (which I have) tested better than the Tamron and Sigma 17-35mm lenses for edge-to-edge sharpness (the Tamron and Sigma were both a bit sharper in the center), but it has a bit more distortion (which can be fixed in post). That is according to the site LensTip.com - lens review, lenses reviews, lens specification - LensTip.com which has tests of all 3 lenses.

- Finally, the SMC Pentax 20-35mm f/4 is a very nice lens that can be found in the used market. Unfortunately since wide angles are not so common in Pentax-land the prices have gone up, so it's not uncommon to see it in the $600-700 dollar range nowadays... or even more...

There are others but they might not perform so well on the K-1 (like the SMC-M 20mm f/4). I think these are your options... and then there's of course the professional grade (and very large) SMC 15-30mm f/2.8 which will cost you just under $1300. Lots of people here seem to have it and love it but it will cost ya...

Edit: there's actually a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 for sale here in our Forums MarketPlace, in the For Sale section.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 08-20-2019 at 01:36 PM.
08-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

To start, the DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. This will cost you about $500 (assuming you are in the US), and will be your carry-everywhere lens. It will give you a moderate wide angle (28mm) to short telephoto (105mm) and cover a lot of situations you will encounter.
Second hand this lens is way cheaper... resale value is quite low.