Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

battery grip AA battery life

Hi I wanted to know if the pentax battery is better/lasts longer than 6 nickle metal hydride batteries. The nmhi batteries weigh alot in the grip and they seem to run out pretty quickly is that normal? I haven't tried the spare pentax battery yet. I was wondering which is better/lasts longer. In the battery grip

thanks,

I've been absent awhile.

08-21-2019, 06:25 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
Hi I wanted to know if the pentax battery is better/lasts longer than 6 nickle metal hydride batteries. The nmhi batteries weigh alot in the grip and they seem to run out pretty quickly is that normal? I haven't tried the spare pentax battery yet. I was wondering which is better/lasts longer. In the battery grip

thanks,

I've been absent awhile.
It really depends on the milli amp hour ratings of the batteries and the age and condition of the batteries.
For instance, the Pentax D-LI90 battery is rated at 1860mAh, while Eneloops Pro AA batteries are rated as minimum 1900mAh and up to 2550mAh, but, regular AA batteries may be only 1200mAh.
08-22-2019, 01:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, the rechargables are rated 2460Mha, fairly new and only used for the battery pack. I'm guessing it's the discharge rate and the fact that they don't charge all the way to 1.5v like a regular AA. Which has a voltage of 1.5-1.57 brand new. Thanks
08-22-2019, 02:29 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi I wanted to know if the pentax battery is better/lasts longer than 6 nickle metal hydride batteries. I was wondering which is better/lasts longer. In the battery grip
On page 284 of the K50 owner's manual their tests indicate that under "normal conditions" at 23 degrees celsius they report:

AA alkaline batteries: 170 shots
D-LI109: 480 shots
AA NiMh (1900 mAh): 580 shots
AA lithium: 1250 shots

And then of course, other factors like flash usage, auto vs. manual focus, video or live view, etc, will reduce those numbers.

This is about what I've found in my own usage of the K50. Nowadays, I rarely shoot more than 480 shots in a days outing, but I always have a freshly charged spare D-Li109 with me. I prefer not to fumble around with six (or 12) AA cells and disposable lithium, although by far the longest lasting, are not cost effective.

Note that the original Pentax D-Li109 was rated at 1200mAh. There are other brands that make a D-Li109 like DSTE that are rated at 2100mAh or Wasabi Power at 2300mAh.

So to answer your question: if your NiMh is rated at 2460mAh, then theoretically they would last longer than even the best D-Li109 like the Wasabi 2300mAh.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf

---------- Post added 08-22-19 at 02:33 AM ----------

Hi, the rechargables are rated 2460Mha, fairly new and only used for the battery pack. I'm guessing it's the discharge rate and the fact that they don't charge all the way to 1.5v like a regular AA. Which has a voltage of 1.5-1.57 brand new. Thanks
Note that NiMh batteries will typically have less voltage than alkaline but higher amperage.

Last edited by Alex645; 08-22-2019 at 02:37 AM.
08-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone done an actual experiment though. I mean between the 2 types of batteries in the grip. Was there a huge difference, if any?
08-23-2019, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It really depends on the milli amp hour ratings of the batteries and the age and condition of the batteries.
For instance, the Pentax D-LI90 battery is rated at 1860mAh, while Eneloops Pro AA batteries are rated as minimum 1900mAh and up to 2550mAh, but, regular AA batteries may be only 1200mAh.
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone done an actual experiment though. I mean between the 2 types of batteries in the grip. Was there a huge difference, if any?
Ricoh/Pentax has done actual tests or 'experimented' and AA lithium with nearly 10 times the life of AA alkaline is a pretty "huge difference". I doubt anyone other than Ricoh or a battery company has bothered to systematically burn through shutter actuations other than with brand new cells in ideal vs. extreme conditions. But anecdotally the relative life expectancy (actuations per charge) reported in the owner's manual corresponds with reality in my experience.
08-23-2019, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
. . . flash usage, auto vs. manual focus, video or live view, . . . .
in my limited experience, battery " life " is very dependent on how you use the camera

in addition to the " factors " listed above, there is another " chimping "

" . . . the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture . . . "

that takes a toll on battery power, regardless of type of battery

one other factor to consider: how quickly you can shift out a single battery vs. shifting out a number of AA batteries:

I have multiple D 190s, both OEM and third party, and I try to change out the battery kept in the camera body only at home by changing out the battery in the grip in " the field "

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2019 at 04:49 AM.
08-23-2019, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
aslyfox, aka a sly fox. Jk, all is good I just thought someone did it before. I will do the experiment tomm. And that experiment will require 2 trips no lolz

thanks to all,

I am also a seeker of knowledge